What's new

Rockwell Razor Club

Which gives better shaves overall?

• Merkur Progress

• Rockwell 6s

Results are only viewable after voting.
Been using the T2 Stainless Steel razor for the last few days. It has a nice weight to it, allowing the head to easily work against the face. It is a mild razor, in general; a bit milder than the standard T2. I've used it on setting 5 and it's smooth. You can hear the audible sound as the razor works across the hair. In my last shave (I think it's the 4th) using the same Gillette Platinum blade, I did catch a slight weeper on my throat area, but that was more likely more to me trying to get a bit cleaner shave in a troublesome spot than anything else. After the a really smooth shave with setting 5, I lowered it to 3 for some cleanup work. After rinsing my face, I set the razor to 1 and did more cleanup buffing on my dry face. The end result was a very close shave with no irritation (other than the one weeper).

I said it was mild. Blade gaps are 1) .32 2) .39 3) .52 4) .63 5) .79 and 6) .9

The knobs to adjust the setting and the knob to open the butterfly top are firm, but not too firm. You likely won't have issue changing settings or opening the razor, but it's not something that you'll do accidentally, either.

The finish is rather raw but looks good. I did get the matching stand, as well. I was able to score a 20% discount on my purchase, and the combo of the stand and razor was discounted, as well.

In the image below, you can see the number 4. The razor was actually set to 2 when the picture was taken. There's a red line to indicate what setting you have selected.

Loading the razor blade is a simple task of using the lower knob to open the butterfly top and dropping a blade in and twisting the knurled knob to close.

So far, I'm enjoying using this razor. Trying to find the sweet spot settings for my face. Likely going to be 5 or 6 for the first pass (maybe 3 or 4) for the neck and throat). On 4, it's very close to the Henson AL13+ that I have, albeit you can change your angle with the T2, which you can't really accomplish with the Henson.

I struggled with whether I wanted to buy this razor or the Rex Ambassador and @Whiterook gave me a bit of insight. I don't have a real heavy beard and thought that the milder T2 might be a wiser choice, but it was the discount code that popped up while perusing the website that swayed me in the end.

Overall, I'm pleased with the razor and it is a keeper for me. The only blade that I've used so far has been the Gillette Platinum, but I'll be trying a few others that I have to see what suits my fancy best.
IMG_0795.jpeg

Having a Rockwell 6s for five years now I couldn't be happier. No matter which other razor I tried, I always came back to my. Rocky.
Meanwhile I found R3 giving me the best shaves for shaving every 1-2 days.

My Rockwell already looks like "having been used", but I like that patina. That adds the feeling this tool needs to be complete.

I have really grown to appreciate the Rockwell T2 SS razor. The mid setting of 3 seems to be perfect for my daily shaving needs. Going to 1 for touchup really cleans up those areas. Rarely, have I found the need to shave with the more aggressive settings, but I have experimented with it and found it to still deliver a nice shave.

I have really grown to appreciate the Rockwell T2 SS razor. The mid setting of 3 seems to be perfect for my daily shaving needs. Going to 1 for touchup really cleans up those areas. Rarely, have I found the need to shave with the more aggressive settings, but I have experimented with it and found it to still deliver a nice shave.
I'm at three as well. It gives close, drama-free shaves at that setting.

The R3 plate is probably my favourite too. Rockwell really did get it right with their aggression settings!
Rockwell absolutely did it right. Their adjustability range is on the mild to moderate side, while most other adjustables cover mild to aggressive and so for many, not all, half the range is useless.
The Rockwell settings are varying enough frim 1 to 6 but they are all not ridiculously aggressive. And the shape the safety bar gives you a good support to find the right angle.
I think the blade exposure is close to neutral what is responsible for the smoothness.

Rockwell 6s has been treating me well. So. Shoutout to it. I think the r5 is my plate on more than days growth. The r4 is smooth but a Bit too much work. I’ll spend a few more weeks with it. It is smooth and comfortable.

Got myself a 6S, but unfortunately had to return it. Something wrong with the thread. Difficult to align to screw it together. Supplier had 3 more in stock with similar problems. You can screw it together, but it takes multiple attempts to line it up perfectly. 😞

Right now, Nov 12… Rockwell is having a huge black friday sale on their website. If anyone is considering getting one, or another one, now is the time. Remember, Rockwell razors include a lifetime warranty but only if purchased through their website (or from their Amazon storefront after you register your purchase on their website). Also, a 60 day return policy. Rockwell Razors - Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razors - https://getrockwell.com/

Also, if you have a discount code, you can double dip and get an additional $10 (not sure if I am allowed to post a discount code here)

The BEST deals include the $40 Rockwell razor stand.
6C w/stand: $75 (list $100)
6S w/stand: $105 (list $150)
6S colored w/stand: $114 (list $190)
T2 w/stand: $114 (list: $190)

6C: $54
6S: $96
6S colored: $112.50
T2: $112.5

I have, and love a 6C in white chrome. I am very tempted to get a 6S with stand at these prices (and an extra 10% with discount code). But hard to justify since I love the look of my shiny chrome. For only $9 more I could get the black one which looks very nice and is my preferred color, but fear paint chipping would spoil its looks sooner or later. But it is calling me 😉

Last edited:
5 full shaves with the Perma-Sharp blade in my T2 and another smooth shave. I had the setting at 5 for this shave and it was a terrific shave. WTG and ATG on the face for a BBS feel. The neck requires a bit more to get that BBS feel, but I normally accept a DFS there.

Even thought the blade gave me a smooth shave, I've retired it after 5 shaves and have replaced it with a BIC Chromium blade.

Set at 6 with a Bic CP blade, I did a very acceptable 2 pass shave WTG and ATG with some minor touchups on my throat area for a DFS today. I love the versatility of this razor!

IMG_0911.jpeg

20231011_082704.jpg

Razor: Rockwell T2
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Aftershave: Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Aftershave Lotion
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm

The razor smoothly removed two days growth. Normally I dial it down a touch with a Feather blade but this time I just left it on 3.

I decided to take advantage of the Rockwell sale (ends tonight) and picked up the 6S w/Stand kit, the original satin version. I inclined towards the black one but decided I would likely be more anal about caring and checking for chipped paint vs worrying about the chrome coming off my 6C.

So far I have had four shaves with it and below are my impressions

1) Look: the steel version never really appealed to me vs the white chrome. However, when I saw it my first impression was it looked pretty darn good and exceeded my expectations. After a few days, the steel version began to grow on me and I no longer have any aversion to its appearance.

2) Grip: Handle of the 6C has slightly more grip with the knurling just abit more pronounced. 6C grip is slightly preferred but either are just fine.

3) Weight: 6S is 20% heavier and the difference is noticeable when holding both. The 6C seems more nimble and nicer to use. However, after a few shaves I quickly got used to the 6S.

4) Glide: Some say the 6C glides easier due to the smoother surface and I concur. The experience seems more pleasurable but like the weight difference, after a few shaves that difference stopped being noticeable. The key of course is to use slick soap. My first shaves used Cella red, and Stirling Sheep Tallow soap.

5) Difference in shave: I did two shaves to test “tool vs technique”. I shaved one half my face with the 6C and the other half with the 6S. A two pass shave, using the same exact blade, Perma-Sharp, and Cella soap. The second shave used the same identical blade and soap as well, except that I used each razor on the other side of my face - to judge skin/technique bias. In both cased the left side, (I am left handed), was slightly better, particularly the neck. (Right side of neck always give me trouble). The conclusion is that A) both razors performed identically. B) using both razors during the same shave, the weight and glide differences did not become something particularly noticeable.

Conclusion: Both razors do the job, do it well, with essentially identical results. The shaving experience started out differently with more joy with the 6C. After using the 6S for a few days, and then doing a couple of shaves with each one on a different side of my face, those differences became less and less noticeable. The 6C might be slightly more fun to use, but the heavy duty 6S on its SS pedestal, just oozes quality and seems to command respect. It says, I’ll be here when all others are long gone 😉

Attachments

• 9941B411-F96B-42B6-8749-2F9962D5D3E6.jpeg
    9941B411-F96B-42B6-8749-2F9962D5D3E6.jpeg
    984.4 KB · Views: 13
Hello,

I would like to clean and make my Rockwell 6s shine again. I think I have the mat version. Any tips on how to clean it please?

Hello,

I would like to clean and make my Rockwell 6s shine again. I think I have the mat version. Any tips on how to clean it please?

the 6S is only matte version, or colored. The 6C‘s are shiny.

Rockwell‘s official razor care recommendation https://support.rockwellrazors.com/portal/en/kb/articles/caring-for-your-rockwell-razor
————

Caring for your Rockwell Razor?​

Caring for your Rockwell Razor is easy!

Generally speaking, not much special care is required other than rinsing your razor out with water to clean out any gunk. To clean the razor, we recommend using a simple dish soap solution to give it a deeper clean. If necessary, use a non-abrasive soft pad with a vinegar solution to polish out any discoloration that might appear on chrome over time.

For our stainless steel Rockwell 6S razor, a small percentage of customers have reported tea stains after leaving a blade in their wet razor for long periods of time. These stains can often be removed using the steps outlined above. This can happen when impurities embedded in stainless steel razor blades react with the metal of the wet razor. For this reason, if you do notice this affecting your razor, we suggest removing the blade between uses.

Another Rockwell 6S user here and I have been looking for this club. :D
Just started DE safety razor 2 weeks ago after decades of cart.

I heard good reviews about Rockwell. Preferred stainless steel and its weight.
It also gives me 6 plates of aggressiveness to choose from.
So I went ahead with the entire Rockwell starter set.

Still navigating between R3 and R4 using Astra SP which I heard is forgiving until I improve my techniques.

Happy shaving.

Attachments

• IMG_8291.jpeg
    IMG_8291.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Another Rockwell 6S user here and I have been looking for this club. :D
Just started DE safety razor 2 weeks ago after decades of cart.

I heard good reviews about Rockwell. Preferred stainless steel and its weight.
It also gives me 6 plates of aggressiveness to choose from.
So I went ahead with the entire Rockwell starter set.

Still navigating between R3 and R4 using Astra SP which I heard is forgiving until I improve my techniques.

Happy shaving.
Astra SPs are moderately sharp for me - a bit more than Persona Platinum Chromes.

Also, they also smooth out rather dramatically after the first shave so don't give up on the blade if it's a bit spicy for you after the first shave.

... Thom

Top Bottom