What's new

Rockwell Razor Club

Which gives better shaves overall?

• Merkur Progress

• Rockwell 6s

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been eying this razor for a while now. Still on the fence whether a replated Fatboy or the upcoming Model T might just be a better option. No changing of the plates, just turn the knob.

I've been eying this razor for a while now. Still on the fence whether a replated Fatboy or the upcoming Model T might just be a better option. No changing of the plates, just turn the knob.

Sure, but will the Model T be a good shaver? Just because they are made by the same company does not mean that both models are going to be great razors.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Sure, but will the Model T be a good shaver? Just because they are made by the same company does not mean that both models are going to be great razors.
I think he is in the same boat I am... Not wanting to spend the money now and find out later that the model t works just as well and is adjustable mid shave

I got the 6S after initially pledging for the model T. I decided to get a refund because I didn't want to wait that long for the razor, and because the amazing reviews the 6S has gotten. Also, stainless. I might get the model T as well, but not until well in to next year and depending on the reviews. :)

I believe the 6s has standard threading, while everyone else, like the Wolfman, Hempel, Maggards, Triad, etc use metric threads. The Rockwell makers said they tested their head and used a threading that will work with most other handles, but it isn't exact. I hope I have this correct. If not, please correct me without coming down like a petulant hammer. You'll see the MR5 with a Rockwell handle. Personally, I wish they would have gone with the same threading as most other modern razors. I'm not someone who gets real excited about gambling with $100. Other handles work, but they could work perfectly and without greater concerns of ruining the head.

So, to echo your question, I would also like to know which makers use the exact same threading as the 6s.

I emailed maggards regarding the compatibility of their handles and rockwell 6s heads. specifically the MR1 and MR20. will let you know their reply tomorrow.

I've had a 6S for a little under a month now, and absolutely LOVE it. I don't know why, but I just feel "safe" using it (I've tried the #3, #4 plates, and planning to give #5 a whirl next blade change). I have only been bitten twice by it, and both times, it was because I was being an idiot and not paying attention. And if I had done the same thing with my old razor, I would have been bitten a lot worse, a lot more often.

One thing that I struggled to find information on was the blade gap with the different plates. There is a very useful wiki on this site that doesn't have them. And while I know that blade gap doesn't necessarily = aggressiveness, it is a useful indicator.

Today I found a blog post by Gareth on the Rockwell site that details the blade gaps, and thought I'd share them here so that they might be easier to find:

https://rockwellrazors.com/blogs/journal/78023879-comparing-the-old-vs-new-rockwell-6s

The blade gaps on the new Rockwell 6S are as follows:
R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

Well I contacted Rockwell and they said "they will indeed" regarding working with other handles. I ended up ordering the Rockwell 6s. I also bought a couple handmade handles via Etsy. I will let you guys know once i receive the razor and handles and give you guys a review on this thread. Hope I didn't flush a $160 (razor plus two handles) down the drain!!!

They are compatible, but they are not the exact same threading. Again, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Well, most of my handles work with the 6S even if the threading is not exactly the same, but some of them do not screw all the way to the head of the razor. The two indentations that run along the head prevent some of the handles (including a Maggard MR18) from sitting flush with the 6S plate.

Merkur long handle works fine:

$Mercur.jpg

Maggard handle:

$Magg3.jpg

If the tip was two or three milliliters "thinner" then the Maggard handle would have worked perfectly.

The blade gaps on the new Rockwell 6S are as follows:
R1: 0.008" (0.20 mm)
R2: 0.014” (0.35 mm)
R3: 0.019” (0.48 mm)
R4: 0.024” (0.61 mm)
R5: 0.027” (0.69 mm)
R6: 0.031” (0.79 mm)

Wow, I had no idea the blade gaps had changed! Thanks for the heads up. :)

Here are the old/V1 blade gaps;

Size 1: 0.38 mm
Size 2: 0.56 mm
Size 3: 0.72 mm
Size 4: 0.84 mm
Size 5: 0.94 mm
Size 6: 1.12 mm

So, why the need to change the handle? My razor should be arriving this week.

Well...I think the 6S handle is quite handsome. However, the Razorback Barber Pole is a classic "twist" on a Gillette design that's been a favorite since the end of WW1. I can see why someone might want to purchase it. At $20, it's a great deal.

However, the iKon OSS handle is very similar to the 6S handle.

THe Merkur Futur is another beast. For sure more aggressive.
The Rockwell can be really mild or aggressive but not at the level of Futur

a friend of my has a rockwell 6s and he loves it and recommends it to anyone. i like the idea of an adjustable, it's unexplored territory for me. although now i've found out about merkur futur. wondering if you've tried it at all, and if so how does it stack up to the rockwell. to me the futur seems like a better choice because it's got the snap top which is really cool and i watched geofatboy on youtube use it and he didn't have anything bad to say about that design so that's good, and also the dial function, seems more convenient and i've heard of people being able to set it in between settings to create twice the settings. so essentially has 12 settings instead of 6 plates. of course i've never used it so i'm simply going by what i've seen and what i see is people really enjoy the merkur futur and it looks more convenient to me. so yeah, if you've tried it or know someone who's tried it, and they've also experienced the rockwell 6 plate system. which is better?

I've had both...get the Rockwell.

The Futur is very aggressive and I found the head ridiculously huge and difficult to manage...YMMV, of course.

FWIW...I keep going back to the Rockwell versus my other 50+ DE/SE razors...

I have the version #2 from the beginning of the year and it's pretty much the only razor I've used all year. So is this thread a club, or is it just a review thread. I'd gladly join the Rockwell 6S club, but I can't attend many meetings :)

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The question to me is, how long has it been your favorite, I always have a honeymoon phase with a razor where I think it's the best thing in the world. Fast forward three or four months and I am selling it.

Well the razor is pretty heavy and I'm trying to cut the weight down via different handle. Thatz the only reason for me. Mine comes in 3 days!!!

Top Bottom