What's new

Rockwell 6S: great razor or over-hyped?

I bought the 6S back in February 2019 and it was my first foray into DE shaving. Since then I have purchased several other high end razors and I have found the RR GC .84 to by my grail razor. The 6S/6C will help the newbies get aquainted to this hobby/lifestyle until they find something that will better suit their needs.

It’s very forgiving

The weight to me is nice

It looks nicer if you take the time to polish

Used to use it primarily on plate 6 but 5 is very forgiving.

Don’t really have any negatives though some may not like the industrial gray look

It really depends on who's using it. For those who prefer mild and easy to use razors and don't really care that much about efficiency and just want to have ''some'' shave, then they are probably going to love it. I've had a lot of troubles getting my usual BBS with the 6S even on plate 6 with a Feather blade and after a year of using it, I've decided to sell it.

I like efficient razors and if I have to go over the same spot again and again, then the razor is not for me.

It really depends on who's using it. For those who prefer mild and easy to use razors and don't really care that much about efficiency and just want to have ''some'' shave, then they are probably going to love it. I've had a lot of troubles getting my usual BBS with the 6S even on plate 6 with a Feather blade and after a year of using it, I've decided to sell it.

I like efficient razors and if I have to go over the same spot again and again, then the razor is not for me.
Just wondering what are your favorite, most efficient razors in your rotation?

Just wondering what are your favorite, most efficient razors in your rotation?

Currently, my favorite modern DE razors are - FOCS, GC .84p, Lupo DC and Blackland Blackbird. The issue I had with the 6S was that I couldn't feel the blade at all and in some areas of my face like my neck and chin area was almost impossible to get them as clean as I want to.

I bought the 6S back in February 2019 and it was my first foray into DE shaving. Since then I have purchased several other high end razors and I have found the RR GC .84 to by my grail razor. The 6S/6C will help the newbies get aquainted to this hobby/lifestyle until they find something that will better suit their needs.

I agree. The 6S is a good way to try out blade gaps without spending a load of money on optional baseplates. I used it for about 18 months, soon locked onto the R4 and R5 plates, and liked it.

Then I tried a Game Changer .68P (guessing it would be like the R5 plate with a 0.69mm gap), and preferred its thinner, more agile head.

Then I got the excellent GC.84P plate... thought I was pushing my luck with that, but after a few weeks, it became docile, and it is now my favourite.

That might be me done, if I can resist shinier fancier stuff...

I now have a reasonably extensive rotation of modern razors and this is in it. In fact, I am now in the middle of using it for a series of 7 shaves. My razor rotation includes some much more expensive razors but I still keep this in rotation.

The key for me is the purpose for which I intend to use the razor. Right now, I am seeking razors which I can use every day. The Rockwell 6S fits that purpose perfectly. It gives me a good shave without irritation, particularly if I change plates between passes.

If I were to use a razor for a different purpose such as the closest possible shave, I would not choose the Rockwell 6S. Rather, I might choose my RazoRock Wunderbar slant. If I were to choose a razor to shave every other day, I might go to my Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 2.

Most of the razors out there are 40% hype and 60% reality. I bought into the hype with the 6S and it remains one of my biggest disappointments. I was wowed by the fact that it had 6 heads to chose from. BUT... reality is the sweet spot on the razor lies at around plate 4. Plates 5 and 6 increased the gap but did not increase the efficiency. To get even anywhere vaguely near a decent shave, I had to use plate 6 and do multiple passes, and that didn't sit particularly well with me.

BUT... I am not representative of the whole shaving population. The Rockwell series of razors are designed to be mild. Regardless of the gap you choose, they are all mild and suitable for people who are more sensitive and have softer facial hair. Folk with facial hair that are thick, wiry, dense need not apply here. I get regrowth 6 hours after a standard CART razor shave. Gives you an idea of how quickly and thick my stubble sprouts. With the Rockwell, it never came anywhere near as close to a BBS shave and it didnt last me throughout the day.

I have had significantly better experience with Razorock, which I also purchased around the same time. The .84 OC was leaps and bounds better for me (operative keyword, FOR ME). Just as smooth, better efficiency, longer shaven cleanliness. Over time, I developed a love for highly efficient razors and the Rockwell sits in a forgotten corner in my cabinet.

So now, I am rotating with razors like Greencult, Bluttrasur 1.2, Timeless Slim OC, Tradere OC, Blackbird OC, Razorock Wunderbar, Razorock Lupo .95 OC, Razorine Flatboy, YPM EH, Ikon B1 Slant, Fatip Lo Storto, Stando Leschy, Stando Chors, Carbon 316 +, Husaria OC. All higher efficiency razors which I am very very pleased with.

Most of the razors out there are 40% hype and 60% reality. I bought into the hype with the 6S and it remains one of my biggest disappointments. I was wowed by the fact that it had 6 heads to chose from. BUT... reality is the sweet spot on the razor lies at around plate 4. Plates 5 and 6 increased the gap but did not increase the efficiency. To get even anywhere vaguely near a decent shave, I had to use plate 6 and do multiple passes, and that didn't sit particularly well with me.

BUT... I am not representative of the whole shaving population. The Rockwell series of razors are designed to be mild. Regardless of the gap you choose, they are all mild and suitable for people who are more sensitive and have softer facial hair. Folk with facial hair that are thick, wiry, dense need not apply here. I get regrowth 6 hours after a standard CART razor shave. Gives you an idea of how quickly and thick my stubble sprouts. With the Rockwell, it never came anywhere near as close to a BBS shave and it didnt last me throughout the day.

I have had significantly better experience with Razorock, which I also purchased around the same time. The .84 OC was leaps and bounds better for me (operative keyword, FOR ME). Just as smooth, better efficiency, longer shaven cleanliness. Over time, I developed a love for highly efficient razors and the Rockwell sits in a forgotten corner in my cabinet.

So now, I am rotating with razors like Greencult, Bluttrasur 1.2, Timeless Slim OC, Tradere OC, Blackbird OC, Razorock Wunderbar, Razorock Lupo .95 OC, Razorine Flatboy, YPM EH, Ikon B1 Slant, Fatip Lo Storto, Stando Leschy, Stando Chors, Carbon 316 +, Husaria OC. All higher efficiency razors which I am very very pleased with.
Sorry the Rockwell was a bummer but wow, what an array of dazzling razors you've accumulated!

Thanks. I guess the Rockwell was good for letting me know that I enjoy higher efficiency razors :) but yeah, you could say I was obsessed :) I totally blame some good friends who are outstanding enablers here in this and other forums for the size of my collection ;)
Ha ha. Yeah, all their fault for sure!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've done well with my Rockwell 6S.

It's the only DE razor I own—a gift from my wife last Christmas that got me into wet shaving. I'm sure she spent less than $80 on it because she got it on sale on Black Friday and used an additional coupon. She never would have got it for me for $120 or whatever the regular price is.

I'm capable of cutting myself with practically any razor, cartridge or DE or whatever. So I would never believe anybody who told me it was impossible to cut myself with the Rockwell. It just doesn't make sense. It has a blade, after all.

I can't claim it's the greatest razor available, due to my lack of experience. And I'm certain there are better-made ones out there, maybe even for less than $80.

But I have had no quality-control issues with mine. It's a well-made razor with no visible defects, and no problems with alignment. I like the heft of it.

I believe people who say that the thick head makes it hard for them to shave under their noses. But I don't have that problem under my own nose. And I've enjoyed experimenting with the different plates. When people say they don't find even plate 6 aggressive enough, I believe them, but that hasn't been my experience, on my face. Now I'm happy on plate 5.

So in short, I'd say it has worked well for me.

Is it "great" or "benchmark" or "perfect"? I don't know, but I doubt it: it's just a sub-$80 razor (when bought on the right sales).

But do I like it? Yes.
I am new to the Rockwell. I put it off for years. Heads too thick. Tolerances not good enough. Stainless not polished. ...and so on.

Using a friends, I very much like it. Three shaves all at #3. I might like a little closer, but it's no drama and good enough. I will try 4 and 5 probably. The stubble it does leave is very nice. I'm a picky person when it comes to stubble. For instance I like electric razor stubble. I hate Fatip stubble. (feels like punji sticks).

I would say machined razors are likely built to better tolerances. I've owned may. Someone proposed Karve. I've owned the CB brass with B, C, D and E plates and and OC C and NO thanks. The Rockwell (for me), kicks it to the curb.

My main DE razors are Henson in Mild and R41. The Henson delivers a great shave, but is very lather picky. To thick and it floats. The Rockwell so far delivers drama free shaves and doesn't care what lather I use (so far 3 different soaps, will keep experimenting).

Long way of saying for me, the Rockwell punches above it's weight.

It's not surprising that the Rockwell 6S gets a wide range of reviews. Everybody's different. Different skin, different beard characteristics, different fine motor skills, different physiology, different personal preferences. Then there's blade selection, prep, preshave, and soap. Throw in the fact that shaving technique tends to improve over time and preferences can change over time, and it gets even more complicated. A lot of moving parts. YMMV.

When I first got my 6S, I was using milder razors -- appropriate for me and my skill level at the time. I used the 6S with baseplates #2 and #3 a few times. Meh. Nothing special. Back it went in the drawer. With dozens of great razors to pick from in my collection, why use something uninspiring?

Skip forward many months. After my technique had significantly improved and my tastes had evolved to more aggressive razors, I tried it again a few weeks ago. This time I jumped right up to baseplate #6 -- no more fear of getting bit by aggressive razors after having used the R41, FOCS, and DSCosmetic Z0 for a while. At the risk of exaggerating, the shaves the 6S has been delivering with the #6 plate have been nothing short of outstanding. In my little world, the best shaves I've ever had.

Not sure what it is about the 6S with the #6 baseplate, but it works magic for me. I usually do a 2 or 3 pass shave followed up with alum. It's a consistent, repeatable BBS, and that's with no alum sting or irritation. Only thing I wish is that there was a more efficient/aggressive plate available as some others have commented. Not necessarily because the current #6 plate is lacking, but because I'm curious what would happen if they pushed in that direction a little more.

Razorock Game Changer (6 plate options)
Razorock Lupo (4 plate options)
Razorock BBS (4 plate options)
Homelike Start or Colibri (hard to get now)
And even if it didn't work out for me Karve.
I lust after the 1.18 Homelike Start. The Lupo 72 is my go-to for a close shave. But really the BBS standard plate is the one in my wheel house. Love that thing.

When I first started wet shaving I bought a Rockwell R1 (that came with Rockwell blades) and based on a Geo Fatboy video, that promised it was impossible to cut myself with the Rockwell, proceeded to shave and cut my face up really well. So, I've been biased against Rockwell in general ever since.

But I know some guys love the 6S. But others don't. Then there's this "top review" at Zon. (attached)

Think it's worth giving it a shot? The rust deal an outlier?
Pretty well addressed already, but those are blade rust leavings, not the razor. I've had similar marks in my Tradere, RazoRocks, etc., depending on the blade.

I have quite a few razors that I simply don't use anymore, either because others are simply more efficient, or I have comparable performance with a style that is more aesthetically pleasing. Southsider and I seem to share preferences.:thumbup1:

Pretty well addressed already, but those are blade rust leavings, not the razor. I've had similar marks in my Tradere, RazoRocks, etc., depending on the blade.

I have quite a few razors that I simply don't use anymore, either because others are simply more efficient, or I have comparable performance with a style that is more aesthetically pleasing. Southsider and I seem to share preferences.:thumbup1:
You're going to keep me making sure I take care of my RRs. As they say, they're stain-LESS not stain-PROOF.

Top Bottom