What's new

Rockwell 6S Razor Blade Shootout

There was a mega thread on razors for beginners located:
Thought I would try the top voted razors and share my thoughts on them. I'm not new to DE shaving, but recently got back into it with the purchase of my Rockwell 6S. I was using the Norelco Oneblade for a bit

Shaving setup:
  • Rockwell 6S w/ #3 plate. I should be using a #1-2 because my skin is really sensitive, but I think allowing the blade to be more aggressive with the 3 setting, will more quickly show me characteristics of each blade, as I'm only giving each blade a single shot. I didn't want to document all of this, and not be able to tell the difference because the blade isn't very exposed. I'll go back with my favorite razor at the end of shootout with the #1 plate, and see the difference.
  • Stirling shave soap
  • Preheat water over stove until it starts steaming. Shaves are better for me when the water is extra hot. I don't feel like doing this out of the shower all the time.
  • Bevel After Shave Balm

Summary of my favorite blades ranked best to worst, followed by brief notes on each razor in case you didn't want to read everything:

1. Astra SP
  2. Feather
  3. Personna Red/Wizamet Super Irdium
  4. Gillette Nacet
  5. Gillette Silver Blue

The only razor blade I knew anything about beforehand, was the feather blade for being sharp. This is a very blunt and unbiased opinion of blade feel.

Astra SP - Super Smooth, very sharp, not a single nick. 2 passes BBS. I was really surprised as this was the first razor of the bunch I used.
Sharp 9/10 Smooth 10/10 Rating 10/10

Gillete Silver Blue - Not as sharp or smooth as the Astra SP. Required 3-4 passes, still don't think BBS. Felt like I had to apply more pressure to get a close shave, and that irritated my skin a little.
Sharp 6/10 Smooth 6/10 Rating 6/10

Personna Red - Not quite as sharp as Astra, but more than the Blue. Not quite as smooth as Astra, but more than the Gillette Silver Blue. 2 passes got me BBS, however I had a couple nicks. Might've been from user error from pressing down too hard.
Sharp 8/10 Smooth 7/10 Rating 8/10

Wizamet Super Irdium - More Smooth than the Personna Red & Gillette Silver Blue, not as sharp as the personna, but more than the gillete silver blue. Took 3 passes for the BBS shave. Had more feedback with this blade than most. Couple nicks and irritation.
Sharp 7/10 Smooth 8/10 Rating 8/10

Gillette Nacet - Didn't find this blade very smooth. Pretty sharp, had trouble getting a smooth shave. 3-4 passes, BBS. No nicks, but there's a fair amount of irritation throughout. Tried to be more cautious of the nicks.
Sharp 8/10 Smooth 6/10 Rating 7/10

Feather - Wanted to throw this in here knowing it's considered a very sharp blade. I had almost no feedback due to how sharp this blade was. 2 passes BBS. I had 1 nick, but very little irritation. This felt similar to the Astra SP. Wish I did this back to back with the Astra, it's been a few weeks since I used the Astra.
Sharp 10/10 Smooth 9/10 Rating 9/10

I'll have one last update in the next few weeks change my razor to the #1 plate, and using the Astra/Feather to see which one I'll end up using going forward.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome :)

I get the one and done approach, but I think it will only be relevant to you if this is how you consume blades.

One obvious example is the Feather. My limited experience with it matches those of many here - a slightly rough first shave for which many have taken to corking before first use. I have not tried this, although the next time I load one, I'm inclined to do so, instead of sacrificing my face to strop it.

Without that prep, shave #2 is the best for me, after which Feather performance goes downhill.

I've only tried it on Henson AL 13+, although I'll soon experiment with a Gamechanger (68-P & .84-P). Different faces and razors will obviously yield different results.

My main point however is that I think that in your next run through the blades, you should explore how best to use them, or of course, possibly banish them.

... Thom

Nacet and Red P become much sharper after the coating wears down (2nd use). In most of the applications that I have tried, the PolSilver/ Wizamet is usually much smoother than the Astra SP. For me the blue Astra is also a better performer than the green, but I don’t have a Rockwell.

I would agree that the GSB is the least sharp among the various blades that you tested, but that also improves on the second use. You might like the GSB better on a higher plate setting (e.g. #3).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Your Gillette silver blue you rated worse blade, yet it is my favorite blade. I find the GSB sharp & smoooth with reasonble longevity.
Lots of folks sure enjoy the Rockwell 6S razor & 6 C razor, never owned one, maybe someday.
I bought a tuck of Perma Sharp blades and was very impressed with them, they are very sharp and smooth but just a notch over the Astra SP IMO.

Last edited:
Your Gillette silver blue you rated worse blade, yet it is my favorite blade. I find the GSB sharp & smoooth with reasonble longevity.
Lots of folks sure enjoy the Rockwell 6S razor & 6 C razor, never owned one, maybe someday.
I bought a tuck of Perma Sharp blades and was very impressed with them, they are very sharp and smooth but just a notch over the Astra SP IMO.
I agree whole heartedly.

Top Bottom