What's new

Rockin' the Coti

Well since Chris (wdwrx) is on a new trend I thought I'd do the same.

Our seasons are changing so must my honing methods.

After months of Jnat honing and 8 Jnats:blushing: I'm back to coticules. Honed a few razors that needed some new edges and completely love the coti edge. After months of Jnats and plenty of razors I can honestly say there is no difference with the final product just the road that gets you there is different.

I'm sitting here 18 hours post shave with 4 different sections of my face shaved with 4 razors all finished on coticules (yes I shaved at like 3 am last "night"). I'm amazed at how smooth my face is everywhere still.

I'll keep saying it, but when finished correctly a coticule edge will rival everything. It took me awhile to be convinced of this, but I am now.

In all honesty, I will probably be parting with my escher and charnley forest soon as they are not used anymore (plus I have another vintage thuringian that I'm convinced is an escher sans label anyway).

Still want to break my Asagi out and spend like a month finishing on it though.

:thumbup1:

So, how many coticules do you have?

I had six then sold some and down to 3. All great stones and really don't see the need for more:001_rolle

A lot of times for me it's what just feels right. I've been really busy with remodeling the house, work and travel that the coti is hard to beat for efficiency. I much more enjoy honing on a jnat though; it almost feels therapeutic.

I'll keep saying it, but when finished correctly a coticule edge will rival everything. It took me awhile to be convinced of this, but I am now.

:whistling:

I'm convinced that there are many great methods for getting superb edges (though not all are as minimalist and romantic as coticules). There's a point when patience and skill are the only cure.

That said, we're weirdos who like to play with everything. We won't stop wanting to try out different things. I swear by coticules, but that doesn't mean that I won't play with a Thüringer or Japanese stones (both of which I have).

:whistling:

I'm convinced that there are many great methods for getting superb edges (though not all are as minimalist and romantic as coticules). There's a point when patience and skill are the only cure.

That said, we're weirdos who like to play with everything. We won't stop wanting to try out different things. I swear by coticules, but that doesn't mean that I won't play with a Thüringer or Japanese stones (both of which I have).

Honestly, it is just the speed and efficiency that draws me in. When I can come off the chosera 1K and spend 6-8 minutes on the coticule to finish, it is really hard to beat that. Plus, I've developed a love for the edges off them.

Played around with my new La Verte this evening and it was a fun experience. That sucker is hard! Left a nice keen edge to boot, but still coticule smooth. Definitely a keeper.

Honestly, it is just the speed and efficiency that draws me in. When I can come off the chosera 1K and spend 6-8 minutes on the coticule to finish, it is really hard to beat that. Plus, I've developed a love for the edges off them.

That is my only drawback from the Jnat. I've found that most stones need a median (I use an Aoto) before going to your sharpening Jnat. And my compulsion adds a finishing stone. New razors from bevel to end takes me up to 30-45 minutes, depending on the condition of the razor. Touch ups are about 10 minutes usually.

Yes, but the Jnats are so subtle and mysterious. That's one of the things that draws me to them....
It ain't the time at all that factors into it for me.

+1 that the coti CAN rival anything. Though my coti mojo is not that strong, I've gotten edges that rival the N-asagi. But for every one that rivals the asagi, I've gotten 20-30 that tromp the lpb or dressante. 'Makes me wish I were closer to Santa Fe. I've not met or corresponded w/ Harvitz, but run into several that have tasted his edges and are very glad they have.

Top Bottom