Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)9.5/10
(Minor weepers)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
9/10
(BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

I know we are talking razors, but this Rocca brush is no slouch either!

Summary. Magnificent Monday. Top tier shave with excellent gear.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave.

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Pre-Shave: Kiehl's Age Defender Exfoliating Cleanser / YBN Glycerin Skin Care
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Arno Classic #12, G5 synthetic
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: House of Mammoth - Indigo (sample)
Alum: none
A/S: Murphy & McNeil - Magh Tured Aftershave Balm
EdP: Byredo - Oud Immortel

Attachments

• IMG_6304.jpeg
    IMG_6304.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Friday, March 8, 2024

Pre-shave: Warm water splash / YBN Glycerin Skin Care
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless (2...and done)
Brush: Arno Classic #12, G5 synthetic knot
Soap: House of Mammoth - Almond Leather (sample)
Alum: Osma
A/S: Boss - The Scent Aftershave Balm
EdP: Boss - The Scent Intense

Attachments

• IMG_6327.jpeg
    IMG_6327.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
sotd 8-3

Day 2 with this blade (see London Bridge PIF topic). Tried it in the Rocca and had to remove 2 days of stubble. Let me put it this way: I have had more comfortable shaves ;-) The result is a smooth face, but had 2 little dots of blood near the corner of the mouth and in the throat. As always, I could hear the blade in the Rocca loud and clear ;-)

This HC&C sample is a bit too much for me, the scent is quite strong, of which I am not a big fan (I have more neutral / scentless soaps myself). Normally they fade pretty quick with HC&C, but this one lasts longer. Starts fresh, but then changes in a direction which I am not a fan of.

Mühle - Rocca R96
Gillette - London Bridge china (2)
Mühle - STF M
HC&C - Mjölnir
Pitralon - Classic AS
Balea - Men Sensitive ASB

full

Hope this is the right place to ask.

Those that have used the R96 and/or R94:

1. How sturdy is the R96 coating?

2. Does it feel like plastic and is the grip good?

3. If you also have R94, do you prefer it over the R96?

Any comparisons between R94 and R96 from those that have used both is appreciated regarding weight and balance and if it affects shaves

I've read from different places that R96 is plastic, polymer, some kind of paint, to DLC. It seems nobody knows what it is... Does muhle give an official answer?

Thanks 🙏

Does muhle give an official answer?
I don’t have the R96, but this is what Mühle says on their website:

For thousands of years birch-bark held a similar technical ranking to that of synthetic materials in today's modern world. With the varied and, at the same time, discrete texture, the bark convinces at first touch with its pleasant, comfortable warm feel. The material is extremely long-lasting, easy to grip, even when wet and easy to care for.
The soft birch bark cork contrasts with the cool elegance of stainless steel.”

I don’t have the R96, but this is what Mühle says on their website:

For thousands of years birch-bark held a similar technical ranking to that of synthetic materials in today's modern world. With the varied and, at the same time, discrete texture, the bark convinces at first touch with its pleasant, comfortable warm feel. The material is extremely long-lasting, easy to grip, even when wet and easy to care for.
The soft birch bark cork contrasts with the cool elegance of stainless steel.”
Oh sorry if I was not clear but I am interested in the black version r96 (not full jet black either) and not the birch bark

I own a R96. No idea what the material is, but I love it, feels grippy, even a bit rubbery and certainly with enough grip. Never had a R94 in my hands, but if you like the looks of the R96 I wouldn’t hesitate.

Date11.03.2024
366 daily shaves
071/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Racer (1)Mühle Rocca Silver Tip
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (52)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10
(DFS++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Kickstarting the week with one of my favourite combos. My Rocca’s never disappoint and always deliver.

Enjoy your shave!

IMG_6333.jpeg

Monday, March 11, 2024

Pre-Shave: Warm water splash / YBN Glycerin
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Soap: Mühle Grapefruit & Mint
Alum: Osma
A/S: 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser
EdP: Byredo - Rose of No Man's Land

Fantastic performance of the Rocca today. Need to make a break though to calm things down. A little bit of irritation today, but the shave... fantastic.

Date13.03.2024
366 daily shaves
073/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle RoccaRacer (3)Razorock Beehive
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (54)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5.5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Back to the awesome Mühle Rocca today and it delivered another excellent shave with the blade going on 3 shaves.

Enjoy your shave!

IMG_6346.jpeg

Friday, March 15, 2024

Pre Shave: Kiehl's Age Defender Exfoliating Cleanser / YBN Glycerin
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2... and done)
Brush: Arno Classic #12, G5 synthetic
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts - Desairology (sample)
Alum: none
A/S: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve (decant)
EdT: Zino Davidoff

A great 2- pass WTG shave with the Wizamet in the R95. Still the better razor of the two I have. The quality of the shave is only minimally less than with a second ATG pass.

I read somewhere that someone found their R95 more aggressive. But that should be completely similar right? Same CNC process. What would you say makes the difference?

Thanks,

Guido
I wouldn't think that the R95 is more aggressive compared with R94 or R96. I'm afraid I wasn't specific enough in my post. I meant to say that the R95 is more aggressive than my other razor, the R89. I only own two, so far.

I wouldn't think that the R95 is more aggressive compared with R94 or R96. I'm afraid I wasn't specific enough in my post. I meant to say that the R95 is more aggressive than my other razor, the R89. I only own two, so far.
Ah.. that makes totally sense and I agree. I do have to admit that with the right blade the R89 can be surprisingly close!

Thanks!

Guido

Ah.. that makes totally sense and I agree. I do have to admit that with the right blade the R89 can be surprisingly close!

Thanks!

Guido
I absolutely agree with you. I'm currently running through a tuck of Wizamets, and I'm genuinely surprised how good the R89 is with this blade. No BBS results mind you, but easily CCS+ and DFS. Permasharp is also a good match with the R89 and I think I may revisit Rubie at some point. I did like their smoothness. The R89 is better with a heavier and slightly longer handle in my opinion; an additional 5 mm handle length and a few grams more really changes the dynamics.

Of course the Rocca blows the R89 out of the water in terms of achievable closeness, but it's also less forgiving and does require one's undivided attention. I really do like both of them. I always think it would be a shame to banish the R89 into a drawer. It's just so versatile, simplistic and does an adequate job; not perfect but more than sufficient for its design.

sotd 15-3

Another splendid shave with the Rocca, the result is always a very smooth face!

Mühle - Rocca R96
Gillette - 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Mühle - STF M
HC&C - Mjölnir (sample)
Balea - Men Sensitive ASB

full

ps: I also own a R89, and the Rocca certainly requires more attention to get the same comfort (if that is possible) during the shave. The shave itself usually is closer than with the R89. I sort of have a love/hate relationship with the Rocca, it kinda feels rough during the shave, but it actually is not at all. The result is always very smooth. It is finnicky about the angle though (that is the most important factor for the comfort during the shave) and it doesn't get along with all blades (in my case).

Top Bottom