What's new

ROCCAsolid, brotherhood for lovers of the Mühle Rocca

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Questions for my Rocca brethren:

Do you shave exclusively with a Rocca?

How many Roccas do you own?

Trying to justify my mental illness. Since selling off all of my other razors, yet still wanting razor variety, I bought an R95 and an R96 JET to accompany my much-loved R94.

I just ordered an R96 to complete the collection. I hope Muhle doesn’t release another version…
I don't use my R94 exclusively there are a few blades it doesn't get along with though it is definitely the razor I have used most since I bought it. For a touch of class I have the stand and matching brush. If you are running out of Roccas to buy a word of warning...

...they produce matching brushes for all the Roccas

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I don't use my R94 exclusively there are a few blades it doesn't get along with though it is definitely the razor I have used most since I bought it. For a touch of class I have the stand and matching brush. If you are running out of Roccas to buy a word of warning...

...they produce matching brushes for all the Roccas
I saw the brushes, came close… I use mostly boars. What I want is a razor stand like the little one they make for the Traditional series.

Mike M

IMG_20240129_220830.jpg

Mike M

I saw the brushes, came close… I use mostly boars. What I want is a razor stand like the little one they make for the Traditional series.
Muhle do a SS version of that stand for the Rocca/Companion on their website

You could have the choice between the silvertip badger brush or the STF synthetic if you wanted to try the brushes, but the usual B&B solution is to get both

tempImage0qiLuh.jpg

Razor: Mühle Rocca R95
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite handle
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Grooming Department - Sandalwood, Fig, Musk (sample)
A/S: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve (decant)
EdP: Creed -Himalaya

Muhle do a SS version of that stand for the Rocca/Companion on their website

You could have the choice between the silvertip badger brush or the STF synthetic if you wanted to try the brushes, but the usual B&B solution is to get both
The great thing about the Rocca brushes is that the knots can be changed. Allow me to elaborate: On the Mühle website, under Replacement Parts they do offer "Replacement Brush Heads" for the Edition, Purist, Stylo, Kosmo, Sophist, Traditional, Hexagon, and Rocca brush handles. For all handles they do offer STF and silver tip fibre brush heads. I have tried this with my Purist handle and the brush head can be screwed out and replaced by a new one. I need to polish the Ebonite handle with Savinelli mouth piece polish from time to time. For that job I screw out the brush head, as I don't want any of the polish to touch the badger hairs.

I personally wouldn't change brush heads frequently. It is more of an option to renew an old brush without the need to purchase a complete new one. So, instead of having to spend $160 on a new brush, $60 would buy a silvertip badger replacement brush head.

I also do find that having a STF and Silvertip Badger brush is of advantage. My Purist benefits from a 48 hour drying period on its stand and in the meantime I can use my current black fibre brush. So yes, get both and you'll be set. If you ever need to replace the brush head, you can just order a new one from Mühle.

Date05.02.2024
366 daily shaves
036/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle RoccaGillette Blue Blade (5)Omega 10098
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Barrister + Mann Leviathan
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.5/10 (Significantly Consistent)6/10
(Cut?!)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10
(DFS++)
7/10
(Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Good shave with one of my favourite razors. The Rocca definitely kickstarted the week and delivered despite a middle of the road blade. The only thing detracting from the experience was a cut on my left cheek out of nowhere.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

sotd 5-2

#muehlemonday #mdcmonday

It had been a while since I last used this MdC Vetyver soap. No idea why, this soap just needs looking at it to make it explode in a wonderful foam, enough for a 2 pass shave and touch ups. Combined with the Pitralon this leaves nothing to desire.

Mühle Rocca R96
Bolzano Superinox (1)
Mühle STF M
Martin de Candre - Vétyver
Pitralon Classic AS
Balea Men Energy ASB

full

sotd 12-2

#muehlemonday #mdcmonday

Mühle Rocca R96
Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (4)
Mühle STF maat M
Martin de Candre - Nature
Williams Aqua Velva AS
Balea Men Sensitive ASB
Davidoff - Adventure edt

Lovely shave today, should last me until Wednesday. The Aqua Velva is new to my, good stuff!

full

IMG_6205.jpeg

This thread needs more Rocca posts. :straight:

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Pre-Shave: Kiehl's Age Defender Exfoliating Cleanser / YBN Glycerin Skin Care
Blade: Wizamet SI (2...and done)
Brush: Mühle Liscio Black Fibre
Soap: PAA - Cherry & Sandalwood (sample)
Alum: none
A/S: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve (decant)
EdP: Tom Ford - Lost Cherry

Great DFS today with this razor / blade combination.

sotd 21-2 #nopictoday

Mühle Rocca R96
Polsilver Super Iridium (4)
Mühle STF M
Le Pere Lucien - Phoebus Melon
Tabac - Original AS
Balea - Mens Sensitive ASB

This Rocca! It is the first razor I have owned where I think that during the shave I must be careful because of the sound it makes and you do feel the blade working. But the end result is always a very smooth face and hardly any sting from the alum and AS, so a very comfortable shave. So blade feel does not equal discomfort, certainly not with this razor.

Monday, February 26, 2024

Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Cream: TOBS - Tobacco Leaf (sample) / Mühle Grapefruit & Mint Soap (for second pass)
Alum: OSMA
A/S: TOBS - Royal Forest Aftershave
EdP: Terre d'Hermès - Eau Intense Vétiver

I feel quite confident with this razor / blade combo. Both passes today went fast and smooth without any mishaps. Nice DFS+

Attachments

• IMG_6228.jpeg
    IMG_6228.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Date26.02.2024
366 daily shaves
057/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Gillette Bleue (6)Mühle Rocca Silvertip
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10
(DFS++)
10/10(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Golden combination with both Rocca’s at play. I absolutely like everything about this razor and brush.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Mike M

IMG_20240219_225037.jpg

366 shaves in 2024
Shave#57 of 366 remaining 309(100%)
One Blade in February Challenge
Muhle Monday
MdC Monday

Razor:
Muhle Rocca R94
Blade: Personna 74(26)
Brush: Muhle Rocca R94 STF
Soap: MdC Original
A/S: Davidoff Cool Water
Post Shave: Proraso Green Balm, Nivea Hyaluron Gel

Tonight for Muhle/MdC Monday Original provided another excellent lather and the same gear as last week as I was too lazy to take a different photo for today. Well really I wanted to use the Rocca set for today for Muhle Monday anyway. The P74 loaded in the Rocca actually did an excellent job of giving a smooth, close shave. I think it is largely down to the fact that MdC is such a stellar soap when compared to the EJ I have used through most of the month. That just goes to show how important it is to use a slick soap.

Could a fellow Rocca enthusiast calm my obsessions and confirm this is just a minor cosmetic imperfection? 😅 looks like a result of machining and it’s the same on both sides - anyone else’s head not look absolutely “perfect”?

IMG_0671.jpeg

Could a fellow Rocca enthusiast calm my obsessions and confirm this is just a minor cosmetic imperfection? 😅 looks like a result of machining and it’s the same on both sides - anyone else’s head not look absolutely “perfect”?

View attachment 1804311
I just checked on my Rocca R95, which I bought at the end of last year. See also the attached pic of my Rocca. I have the same "imperfection". Honestly, I haven't even seen it until you pointed it out.

I believe that this "indent" does serve some purpose. German design generally revolves around the Bauhaus principle "form follows function". Though I cannot be sure what the function here is. My guesses would be either to hold the blade more securely, or provide better flow for water and soap, or most likely as an indicator that a blade is loaded. As you may have experienced, loaded blades tend not to overlap to the sides as much in the Rocca than in other razors. This indent may provide that small blade overlap to signal that a blade is loaded. Again, this is just a very uninformed guess.

The good news is, that your Rocca is just fine and probably is as perfect as can be.

Attachments

• IMG_6257.jpeg
    IMG_6257.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 8
Friday, March 1, 2024

Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2... and done)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Soap: House of Mammoth - Indigo (sample)
Alum: none
A/S: TOBS - Royal Forest (sample)
EdP: Byredo - Super Cedar (sample)

Great DFS today with the Wizamet loaded in the R95. What a great razor.

Attachments

• IMG_6253.jpeg
    IMG_6253.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Top Bottom