What's new

RIP Leonard Nimoy

A dark day. His last tweet was simple, beautiful, and poignant:

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP

2:36 AM - 23 Feb 2015

The more I think about this, the more it saddens me. To lose a truly good man, even though he lived a good, long life, just seems especially unfair.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If I didn't have to drive to Buffalo tomorrow with SWMBO for shopping, I'd be raising a few glasses to him this evening. I just watched Them! a month or so ago in which he plays an uncredited part as an Army guy.

The man lived a life most any of us would trade places with, and lived into his 80's. Can't ask for much more, if anything, than that IMO.

RIP

I feel so blessed to have had the modern equivalent of Shakespeare piped into an electronic box in my living room in my formative years. I needed to know how to feel, and Nimoy showed me without telling. That is why I weep today. I know I'm not alone in this.

I dunno if I'm weeping. I'm with Rockminer...the man had a long full life and will live on for ages in the public mind as Spock.

Celebrity deaths are odd in that they don't really effect the relationship I had with the person in question, other than I know that there won't be Nimoy as Old Spock in the reboot. For me, he lives on as he always has, in that show and those movies, unchanged.

These celebrity passings are almost like burma-shave signs in that individual trip to eternity. Milestones, sure, and certainly appropriate times for introspection and reflection. But weeping? I just have to fire up Netflix or pop in a DVD and there they are, as alive as ever, on the bridge, McCoy and Scotty too, struggling through space without circuit breakers or seat belts.

I'm as geeky as the next nerd, but I'll raise a glass of Saurian Brandy in fond memory and watch an episode instead of mourning too deeply. Besides, I've got that fight music from "Amok Time" stuck in my head, and that's just doesn't allow for depression.

Watched The Savage Curtain for old times sake.

Gone, but never forgotten.

I watched "The City on the Edge of Forever" a week ago, got to cue up "Mirror, Mirror". Hooray for Bad Spock!

and of course, my all time favorite line from pre-Spock Spock in the Cage:

SPOCK: The women!

-jim

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My youth is almost completely chipped away.

He made a pretty bad guy too.

-jim
I hear you. That show, and its cast, took on a lot of social issues and helped some of us look at the world a little differently (for the better).

I dunno if I'm weeping. I'm with Rockminer...the man had a long full life and will live on for ages in the public mind as Spock.

Celebrity deaths are odd in that they don't really effect the relationship I had with the person in question, other than I know that there won't be Nimoy as Old Spock in the reboot. For me, he lives on as he always has, in that show and those movies, unchanged.

These celebrity passings are almost like burma-shave signs in that individual trip to eternity. Milestones, sure, and certainly appropriate times for introspection and reflection. But weeping? I just have to fire up Netflix or pop in a DVD and there they are, as alive as ever, on the bridge, McCoy and Scotty too, struggling through space without circuit breakers or seat belts.

I'm as geeky as the next nerd, but I'll raise a glass of Saurian Brandy in fond memory and watch an episode instead of mourning too deeply. Besides, I've got that fight music from "Amok Time" stuck in my head, and that's just doesn't allow for depression.

Well said. I think I will imbibe of the Romulan Ale.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one. RIP.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Final salute from an Astronaut aboard the International Space Station.

$image.jpg

Top Bottom