What's new

Rex Supply Ambassador...

To the guys that bought it, do you guys still use it? Is it worth buying? Apparently they have been selling but nobody ever talks about them.

Took mine on a week long vacation. Like taking an adjustable so I can dial in what I want when I only have one razor. 7 days in a row with settings between 2( forATG) and 4-5 for rest. I find I get a better shave when compared to my Fatboy or Slim. I have no buyer remorse. I did have to send it back when I first got it as the head had a long black gash across it. RE paid for shipping both ways and it looks great now.

It would seem with the latest run there is a new problem that has come to light with the Rex. Its been discussed at length on another forum I follow. It has something to do with the spring not letting the head set straight. It is canted to one end or the other. RE has already been informed and are looking into it right now.

I am so glad I passed on this razor when it was introduced. It seems to have been plagued from the onset. There is just no way I could spend that kind of money and justify shotty machining and workmanship, but it would seem there are others that just don't seem to care. Not to mention if your not real careful the dial will move mid shave and will become either more or less aggressive without even knowing unless you check it before or after every pass!! Such a shame...

Took mine on a week long vacation. Like taking an adjustable so I can dial in what I want when I only have one razor. 7 days in a row with settings between 2( forATG) and 4-5 for rest. I find I get a better shave when compared to my Fatboy or Slim. I have no buyer remorse. I did have to send it back when I first got it as the head had a long black gash across it. RE paid for shipping both ways and it looks great now.
I glad to hear that it appeals to me because it is not a twist to open and it’s adjustable. It’s really hard for me to shave my neck with an aggressive razor so this seems great.

It would seem with the latest run there is a new problem that has come to light with the Rex. Its been discussed at length on another forum I follow. It has something to do with the spring not letting the head set straight. It is canted to one end or the other. RE has already been informed and are looking into it right now.

I am so glad I passed on this razor when it was introduced. It seems to have been plagued from the onset. There is just no way I could spend that kind of money and justify shotty machining and workmanship, but it would seem there are others that just don't seem to care. Not to mention if your not real careful the dial will move mid shave and will become either more or less aggressive without even knowing unless you check it before or after every pass!! Such a shame...
Thanks for mentioning it. I’m just going to wait until the kinks are worked out.

I have an early Rex #0062M3 and it's perfect! No defects in workmanship, and a fantastically smooth shaver! I liked it so much that I took advantage of their Black Friday sale to get another in case I lose/damage the first. My second Rex #0531M4 does have a very slight cant to the safety bar when opened to higher settings which gives one end a larger gap than the other. My cant is very slight compared to pictures I've seen on other Rex razors, but it's enough to notice. Once they get it figured out I will return this one to have it fixed. Until then I will continue to delight in the use of my first Rex and my Timeless .95 in rotation.

I am the gent that owns the Rex with the posted pics on the other forum showing the significant cant on the blade guard. I called RE and left a VM directly with Matt P today. I am awaiting a callback to get the ball rolling on getting the issue remedied. The razor looks outstanding, has a great feel in the hand. Eagerly awaiting for it to be fixed so I can shave with it.

I am the gent that owns the Rex with the posted pics on the other forum showing the significant cant on the blade guard. I called RE and left a VM directly with Matt P today. I am awaiting a callback to get the ball rolling on getting the issue remedied. The razor looks outstanding, has a great feel in the hand. Eagerly awaiting for it to be fixed so I can shave with it.

If you don't mind, would you keep me informed of your progress? Once they get a fix for the canting I'll be sending mine back to be corrected. I'm glad you posted your pics on the forum as I only gave my second Rex a cursory look before vacuum sealing it and putting into storage. Your experience made me break it out for a better examination and a sad discovery.

@Mogaert I am sorry to hear you also have a troubled Rex. I certainly will update this thread with the progress and process of the remedy. I will do it for both forums.

I spoke with Matt Thursday afternoon and described the problem to him. He sent me a return shipping label and the Rex Ambassador is on its' way back to AZ to have the blade gap issue remedied. Matt was very receptive and very eager to make sure the issue is resolved. He did indicate they were scrambling trying to get as many orders out for Christmas as they could and during the chaos, a few razors may have missed the final QA checks.

On a more positive note, I received my Gibbs No.17 yesterday. Outstanding razor, very high quality. I will have my first shave with it tonight and am very much looking forward to it. I will compare the shave with Rex to the a shave with the Gibbs after the Rex is returned.

Hi all, this is the first I have heard of the canted head issue with the Ambassador. I received mine the day before Christmas Eve. It is an M-4 with oval lather slots. I am not seeing any distortion in the blade gap on mine. I just checked. At least nothing I can detect with the naked eye. I have shaven with this razor four times now, and I have been well pleased with the results from the first shave on. I am very happy with my Ambassador. It is my first Stainless Steel razor. And probably my last. I just can't justify the expense of the average SS razors. But that is just me. All in all though, my Ambassador is a fantastic shaver. For a once in a lifetime purchase they are worth the money.

I received my Ambassador back from RE today. The gap problem has been completely remedied. I spoke with Matt last week and the issue was the guard plate - it just wouldn't play nice with others. He messed around making adjustments, swapping orientations, etc., and could not get the gap even. He installed a new blade guard and that remedied the gap issue.

Matt does the vast majority of the initial assembly work on all the Ambassadors (he did have some assistance with the last round due to the amount of pending orders) and all of the repair work. He was out of the office the week after New Year when the razor arrived back at RE, so the razor was not looked at until last week.

I have not shaved with it yet. The maiden voyage will be tonight. I have about a half dozen shaves with my Gibbs 17, so looking forward to comparing the shaves.

I received my Ambassador back from RE today. The gap problem has been completely remedied. I spoke with Matt last week and the issue was the guard plate - it just wouldn't play nice with others. He messed around making adjustments, swapping orientations, etc., and could not get the gap even. He installed a new blade guard and that remedied the gap issue.

Matt does the vast majority of the initial assembly work on all the Ambassadors (he did have some assistance with the last round due to the amount of pending orders) and all of the repair work. He was out of the office the week after New Year when the razor arrived back at RE, so the razor was not looked at until last week.

I have not shaved with it yet. The maiden voyage will be tonight. I have about a half dozen shaves with my Gibbs 17, so looking forward to comparing the shaves.
I'd like to see how your comparison matches up to mine that I did last week on here using my Gibbs #17 and ShaveMD's Rex. If you haven't already read it you'll have to go back a page or two but it's there.
Have a good shave!

I got an email today that a vendor local to me is now stocking them. I'd like to pick one up as an alternative to my slim. I asked if they has storefront hours to check out the blade gap prior to purchase.

It's a nice looking razor, but the price is a bit high to justify buying.
Agreed. Just too much money to pay to have any risk of something as plain as machining marks and canting. And it seems like those risks are far from remote.

I just ordered a Rex Ambassador from Bullgoose Shaving. When it arrived the adjustment ring would only turn from 1 to 4 (not to 6 as it should). Paying $250 for a razor described as "heirloom quality" and having it arrive broken is disturbing!
I sent it back the next day and am waiting for replacement (or refund), but my opinion of Rex Razors so far is that they are crap!

Top Bottom