What's new

Rex Ambassador US Tour pass around...

Yay, I'm on deck. I have to admit, I'm really eager and really apprehensive. I really want to like this razor, because it looks awesome. On the other hand, my bank account really wants me to hate it...

Rex arrived today!! Thank you @GlazedBoker for the wonderful opportunity.
I basically ran home so I could get this beautiful razor in my hand! Fit and finish are basically perfect. The knurling is outstanding, not quite like my Timeless knurled handle but real close. I would prefer a bit longer handle but it's not a deal breaker. I dropped a fresh 7 o'clock yellow in, lathered up with Stirling Barbershop with the Spiffo 2band and I was ready.
The Shave...
I set it on 4 to start, looking for something aggressive that would mow down the beard I have been growing for 4 days in anticipation of the Rex's arrival... it had plenty of blade feel but in a wonderfully smooth and almost carefree way. The Rex absolutely dominated my beard. I never felt uncomfortable, almost like I was on my 50th shave with this razor. I did 2 passes wtg and xtg on my cheeks and wtg and atg on my neck. This razor may be the smoothest I have ever used atg on my neck. I truly enjoyed the 1st shave and I am looking forward to the 2nd. If I only had the one shave I would give this razor a strong 8. If not for the shortish handle it would be a 9. I may end up a couple hundred bucks poorer. Oh well it'll be worth it!!

Tonight was my 2nd and last shave with the Rex. I have to say I'm sad to see it go.
Tonight I decided to go to 1 on the razor. I typically like far more aggressive but I already know that I like the razor very much and wanted to see how well it would shave me on the least aggressive setting. My prep was the same except I used Proraso cream.
On my first pass I knew it was probably too mild so I dialed it up to 2.5. It went quite well after that and proved to me that this is an exceptional and very capable tool.
My many thanks to @GlazedBoker.
Razor is clean , boxed and should be in the mail tomorrow heading to @gwsmallwood.

I held the inaugural run yesterday but ran out of time to post. Loaded it up with my favorite blade, maxed out the dial (seems like it goes to 7?) and got a great shave. I love the handle length, the knurling, and the balance. It's a bit heavier than I typically prefer, but I could probably get used to that. I'm going to dial it back a couple of notches for the next shave, and I'll post my full thoughts once I've used it a few more times.

1581785257922.png

2/15/20

Just wanted to inform those that have been following this thread that the final five on the list will be the final pass around participants. As you can see the thread has been relegated to the Clubs&Brotherhoods grouping. Why? I have no idea and honestly don’t care to ask Mods/Administrators for an explanation on why the thread was moved. Pass arounds are intended for members to get an idea and perhaps participate to get a better feel for a particular razor that could potentially fit their needs and be a worthwhile investment. Also, it provides a way for those that can’t acquire a razor for whatever reason to experience a razor that is considered by many a ”Luxury Razor” Or, just simply to satisfy one’s own curiosity. Being in this category limits the exposure for the general shave members to visit and explore the thread searching for reviews, experiences and just good general information by those that have participated sharing their experiences and thoughts on the Rex Ambassador. I think it’s proven to be an invaluable source of information and data for many to search and ultimately depend on for advise, tips or just to have a good read on a really nice razor.

My apologies to those that have been considering joining the pass around to experience the Rex Ambassador but, my belief is that being relegated to this category severely limits the threads exposure in allowing it to serve the wet shave community on this forum as it was intended. Promote comradery and provide a healthy thread for razor discussion to all, participants or not. That was always the thought and intent. Nothing more, nothing less.....

Rex Ambassador US Tour List:

Group One:
1. @ShavePastor (completed) *Note
2. @Dave in KY (completed)
3. @Graydog (completed)
4. @NJDJ (completed)
5. @ED3054 (completed)
6. @JTshaves (completed)
7. @Sharp_Obsession (completed)
8. @Keto (completed)

These are the first 8 gents to sign on. A pm or a post here will get you on gents...

Here is the formation of the second group. Like I stated in a few posts before this one, the tour will be broken into 8 week sections so that I can reel in the Rex and go over it if it needs a deep cleaning/tuning etc.

Group Two:
1. @Rory1262 (completed)
2. @Grundi (completed)
3. @dezmil (completed)
4. @Clay S (completed)
5. @simon_zzz (completed)
6. @Feynmansbongos (completed)
7. @emwolf (completed)
8. @Odenihy (completed)

3 groups are complete so that puts the tour at about a 32-36 week run plus/minus a week for the haul in.

I already have a reserve list started and if any participants in the first 2 groups need to switch out or drop out of the tour, everyone moves up including those in the reserve list.

Another group is all set and ready to go. Any changes because of work, vacation or just life happens, please pm me so that we can adjust accordingly.

Group three:
1. @dfoulk (completed)
2. @Clark Finestead (completed)
3. @bobmsp (completed)
4. @dmshaver (completed)
5. @DCRIII (completed)
6. @mozartman (completed)
7. @Ray Settanta (completed)
8. @cyberdog (completed)

Group four:
1. @CzechCzar (????-????)
2. @Cut Throat (completed) *Note
3. @herbert7890 (completed)
4. @JWK1 (completed)
5. @amateriat (completed)
6. @valthun (completed)
7. @ram57 (completed)
8. @Chef Glenn (completed)

Reserve List:
1. @SolidSnake03 (completed testing)
2. @DCP (dropped out per request)
3. @cgr86 (dropped out per request)
4. @Parallax (completed)
5. @Badger in the Sun (completed)
6. @‘Bout Time (completed)
7. @BBS-1 (completed)
8. @MC Shaving (completed)
9. @vadim (completed)
10. @jldallas (??????)
11. @johnwick (completed)
12. @Olegausany (completed)
13. @ryinzana (completed)
14. @pdieten (completed)
15. @Zen Shaver (completed)
16. @Schinny (completed)
17. @Calm_Shaver (completed)
18. @P@tsfan6484 (completed)
19. @gwsmallwood (in hand testing)
20. @CarlosAT (on deck)

*Purchased a Rex.

I will leave the list intact as it were and we’ll just go by ear. Whomever is up next contact will be made and if there is no reply, we’ll move on to the next name on the list and so forth until we get someone to participate. We’ll see how it goes....

Get your shave on people.......:shaving:

I've had a few more head and face shaves, trying out adjustment levels 5 and 6, and using an Astra SP instead of the PermaSharp Super. I want to give it one more go wide open before making any final decisions. It's definitely a great razor, and there are more things to like about it than dislike. I'm just not sure it's really that much better than my Progress or my Fatboy (with increased blade gaps). It definitely has a bit more aggression than the standard Gillette adjustables. After one final head and face shave, I'll post a more detailed account of my thoughts.

@CarlosAT send me your mailing address. I'll try to get it in the mail to you on Friday, but more likely on Saturday with my work schedule this week.

Ok, so I had my last shave today, and I'm ready to share my thoughts. If you want the cliffnotes, it's a fantastic razor that could easily hold it's own with the rest of my favorites. I'm not convinced that it beats any of them, though.

1582321777304.png

As a reference point, I'm a head, cheek, and neck shaver. I like pretty aggressive razors and generally do a single pass with the grain, across the grain in just a few trouble spots. My current razor rotation is:
  • Fatboy @ 11 (I have blade gaps set 2 levels higher than standard)
  • Slim @ 9
  • Futur @ 6
  • Progress @ 5
  • MMOC
  • ATT H1
  • Schone / Fatip
  • 2013 R41 (Often paired with a Yaqi Mellon/Beast Top Cap)
I've also had a chance to try out a Rockwell 6S (Thanks, Gus) and a Homelike Start, so combined with my ATT H1 and H2, I have a little bit of experience with other stainless offerings.

Appearance is awesome. It's a beautiful razor. No obvious tooling marks, no finish imperfections, and I like the brushed, yet somewhat polished stainless look.

It's a pleasure to hold, as well. The knurling is perfect, I like the small, yet pronounced knob at the bottom of the handle. The handle length is perfect, and the balance is great. It's a bit heavier than I prefer, but that's to be expected with stainless, especially an adjustable. I know some people have had issues turning the dial while shaving, as it doesn't lock into position. Not an issue for me. I tend to hold my razors near the end, which is why I like shorter handles.

The aggressiveness is just about right for me up at 6 or 7. I don't know that I would ever really use it lower than that, but that's how I use my current adjustables, too. I like the way Matt covered the tabs, so that the head tapers. The Start razor just made the entire head wider, which made the razor head-heavy, and also made it difficult to line up sideburn and beard edges. This is way better. Up on 7, it has a bit more blade feel than I was expecting, but nothing that felt overly dangerous or anything. I only ended up with a single weeper on the back of the head, and that was a small bump that any of my razors probably would have caught.

The one thing I could nitpick is blade loading. It doesn't seem quite as easy as my Progress, though I would say that gets balanced out by the fact that you don't have to worry about cap alignment the way you do with the Progress.

My Progress is probably my most comfortable razor on my neck, which is my most sensitive shaving area. I think the Ambassador can match it there. I think it was just as smooth. My Fatboy with the custom blade gaps is probably my most effective razor on my head. The Ambassador is really close. If I had to pick one razor that gives me the best head shaves between the Ambassador, Fatboy, Progress, and R41, I'm not sure I could single one out.

When I signed up for this pass around, I was hoping that I'd either REALLY love this razor, or not be impressed at all. That way I'd have some level of confidence about whether I should save up for one or not. I'm trying to be a bit more minimal with my life, so I'm trying to stick to one-in, one-out. I would say this ended up being a REALLY like, rather than a REALLY love, which makes the decision much harder. I could probably justify getting rid of the Futur and replacing it with an Ambassador (although that's not going to help the funding much).

I'm signed up for a Timeless .095 pass around as well. I'm going to wait until I've had a chance to try that one before making my decision, but I suspect that the Ambassador will go on my Christmas list at a minimum. There's still a chance I might sell my ATT H1/H2 and then save up a bit more for the Ambassador.

Thanks again to Gus for his generosity and being willing to organize these pass arounds. I've now gotten to try two razors of his for the cost of shipping. Two razors that I never would have purchased for myself due to the risk of not liking them. One of the two has turned into a likely purchase in my future.

Ok, so I had my last shave today, and I'm ready to share my thoughts. If you want the cliffnotes, it's a fantastic razor that could easily hold it's own with the rest of my favorites. I'm not convinced that it beats any of them, though.

View attachment 1065504

As a reference point, I'm a head, cheek, and neck shaver. I like pretty aggressive razors and generally do a single pass with the grain, across the grain in just a few trouble spots. My current razor rotation is:
  • Fatboy @ 11 (I have blade gaps set 2 levels higher than standard)
  • Slim @ 9
  • Futur @ 6
  • Progress @ 5
  • MMOC
  • ATT H1
  • Schone / Fatip
  • 2013 R41 (Often paired with a Yaqi Mellon/Beast Top Cap)
I've also had a chance to try out a Rockwell 6S (Thanks, Gus) and a Homelike Start, so combined with my ATT H1 and H2, I have a little bit of experience with other stainless offerings.

Appearance is awesome. It's a beautiful razor. No obvious tooling marks, no finish imperfections, and I like the brushed, yet somewhat polished stainless look.

It's a pleasure to hold, as well. The knurling is perfect, I like the small, yet pronounced knob at the bottom of the handle. The handle length is perfect, and the balance is great. It's a bit heavier than I prefer, but that's to be expected with stainless, especially an adjustable. I know some people have had issues turning the dial while shaving, as it doesn't lock into position. Not an issue for me. I tend to hold my razors near the end, which is why I like shorter handles.

The aggressiveness is just about right for me up at 6 or 7. I don't know that I would ever really use it lower than that, but that's how I use my current adjustables, too. I like the way Matt covered the tabs, so that the head tapers. The Start razor just made the entire head wider, which made the razor head-heavy, and also made it difficult to line up sideburn and beard edges. This is way better. Up on 7, it has a bit more blade feel than I was expecting, but nothing that felt overly dangerous or anything. I only ended up with a single weeper on the back of the head, and that was a small bump that any of my razors probably would have caught.

The one thing I could nitpick is blade loading. It doesn't seem quite as easy as my Progress, though I would say that gets balanced out by the fact that you don't have to worry about cap alignment the way you do with the Progress.

My Progress is probably my most comfortable razor on my neck, which is my most sensitive shaving area. I think the Ambassador can match it there. I think it was just as smooth. My Fatboy with the custom blade gaps is probably my most effective razor on my head. The Ambassador is really close. If I had to pick one razor that gives me the best head shaves between the Ambassador, Fatboy, Progress, and R41, I'm not sure I could single one out.

When I signed up for this pass around, I was hoping that I'd either REALLY love this razor, or not be impressed at all. That way I'd have some level of confidence about whether I should save up for one or not. I'm trying to be a bit more minimal with my life, so I'm trying to stick to one-in, one-out. I would say this ended up being a REALLY like, rather than a REALLY love, which makes the decision much harder. I could probably justify getting rid of the Futur and replacing it with an Ambassador (although that's not going to help the funding much).

I'm signed up for a Timeless .095 pass around as well. I'm going to wait until I've had a chance to try that one before making my decision, but I suspect that the Ambassador will go on my Christmas list at a minimum. There's still a chance I might sell my ATT H1/H2 and then save up a bit more for the Ambassador.

Thanks again to Gus for his generosity and being willing to organize these pass arounds. I've now gotten to try two razors of his for the cost of shipping. Two razors that I never would have purchased for myself due to the risk of not liking them. One of the two has turned into a likely purchase in my future.
Great review. I am with you on just about everything you said about the Rex. I too am not in love but I REALLY like it. I can see one in my den one day.

First, I would like to thank @GlazedBoker for his selflessness in sharing this part of his shave den with me and the rest of the community here at B&B. You are as true gentleman and it’s members like you that make this place as special as it is.

I've used the Rex Ambassador for 5 shaves now and am ready to provide a consolidated review before sending it back to its home. I’ll start with the razor itself and them move into the shaves.

The Razor
The Rex has a very nice weight to it. When you use it, it does not feel like you are holding a piece of tin foil. On the contrary, it feels like you are using a serious piece of equipment. I also really love the knurling on the handle. It is not sharp, but there is no way that your fingers are going to slip when you are holding this thing. The grip is just top notch. The handle is on the thicker side when compared to many of my razors, which is awesome for a guy with chubby hands like me. I would have preferred a slightly longer handle on it, but the handle is pretty standard and not unusually short. Lastly, I also like the shape of the head with the rounded ends that nicely hide the tabs on the blade itself. That is a very nice touch and the rounded ends give it an elegant look.

One thing that I did not like about the razor was the adjustment dial for aggressiveness. The dial moves way to easily for my tastes and I found it moving on my mid-shave from where I set it. I’m sure that had to do with where I was gripping the handle, but I would have preferred a dial that held firm more easily.

The Shaves
I struggled finding my sweet spot for the Rex, both in the proper angle and the aggressiveness for the first four shaves. I had a bit more success during my fifth and final shave however. I often had the razor skipping across my face as opposed to feeling a smooth glide, which was surprising. As for aggressiveness, I played with different level and landed on a sweet spot of 4.5 to 5, leaning towards 5. The 6 setting gave me a blade feel that I did not enjoy, so I was able to rule that our on the first shave. Alternatively, the 4 setting did not give me a close enough shave for my liking.

No matter the setting or angle, the razor was prone to giving me nicks and weepers, which I do not usually get with my razors or with my go-to Astra Superior Stainless blade, which I used for all five shaves. I also experienced some significant razor burn, which again I usually don’t get with my other razors. This was true even with the last shave, which was my most pleasant one and effective one.

All-in-all, I love the feel of the razor. It is clearly very well made, but the shave quality for my face just wasn’t what I would have hoped. As with everything here, YMMV. I am thankful for having has the opportunity to try the Rex out. While it may not be for me, it is clearly and impressive little piece of gear.

First, I would like to thank @GlazedBoker for his selflessness in sharing this part of his shave den with me and the rest of the community here at B&B. You are as true gentleman and it’s members like you that make this place as special as it is.

I've used the Rex Ambassador for 5 shaves now and am ready to provide a consolidated review before sending it back to its home. I’ll start with the razor itself and them move into the shaves.

The Razor
The Rex has a very nice weight to it. When you use it, it does not feel like you are holding a piece of tin foil. On the contrary, it feels like you are using a serious piece of equipment. I also really love the knurling on the handle. It is not sharp, but there is no way that your fingers are going to slip when you are holding this thing. The grip is just top notch. The handle is on the thicker side when compared to many of my razors, which is awesome for a guy with chubby hands like me. I would have preferred a slightly longer handle on it, but the handle is pretty standard and not unusually short. Lastly, I also like the shape of the head with the rounded ends that nicely hide the tabs on the blade itself. That is a very nice touch and the rounded ends give it an elegant look.

One thing that I did not like about the razor was the adjustment dial for aggressiveness. The dial moves way to easily for my tastes and I found it moving on my mid-shave from where I set it. I’m sure that had to do with where I was gripping the handle, but I would have preferred a dial that held firm more easily.

The Shaves
I struggled finding my sweet spot for the Rex, both in the proper angle and the aggressiveness for the first four shaves. I had a bit more success during my fifth and final shave however. I often had the razor skipping across my face as opposed to feeling a smooth glide, which was surprising. As for aggressiveness, I played with different level and landed on a sweet spot of 4.5 to 5, leaning towards 5. The 6 setting gave me a blade feel that I did not enjoy, so I was able to rule that our on the first shave. Alternatively, the 4 setting did not give me a close enough shave for my liking.

No matter the setting or angle, the razor was prone to giving me nicks and weepers, which I do not usually get with my razors or with my go-to Astra Superior Stainless blade, which I used for all five shaves. I also experienced some significant razor burn, which again I usually don’t get with my other razors. This was true even with the last shave, which was my most pleasant one and effective one.

All-in-all, I love the feel of the razor. It is clearly very well made, but the shave quality for my face just wasn’t what I would have hoped. As with everything here, YMMV. I am thankful for having has the opportunity to try the Rex out. While it may not be for me, it is clearly and impressive little piece of gear.

Very well said. At least you can scratch one off of the bucket list.... :thumbup1:

Well, the Rex has finally made it back home safely and sound. Thus, the end of the Rex Tour pass around. I would like to take a brief moment and thank all of the fine gentlemen that took the time to participate and put forth their experiences with the Rex in great detail for others to read and most importantly share those shave stories. The journey started nearly a year and a half ago and practically toured the Continental US, coast to coast. More importantly, it achieved this with nearly a single major setback during it’s travels minus a hiccup once or twice but, remarkably the razor made its destinations without much issue. Truly a great testament to those that participated and followed the rules set forth in insuring and securing the razor and its contents so that it could get to the next stop without delay (yes, the US Postal Service gets a pat on the back). I’m truly humbled and privileged that these eyes have seen some great comradery among this group of wet shavers that showed a true willingness to make sure that this pass around be a success. And for that, I am most grateful to everyone of you gentlemen.

Another thanks to the Administrators on the B&B who allowed me to kick-off this pass around with pretty much free reign on how to conduct it. Even though towards the end it was relegated to the Clubs & Brotherhood section severely limiting it’s exposure to a broader audience, I am truly appreciative of what the B&B Elders allowed me to do.

It was a hell of a ride and though mostly everyone here enjoyed the use and experience with the razor, it was I who actually reaped the benefit the most on just some great reads and invaluable information that was shared.

Thank you, Gents. Happy Shaves to ALL....:shaving:

1. @ShavePastor
2. @Dave in KY
3. @Graydog
4. @NJDJ
5. @ED3054
6. @JTshaves
7. @Sharp_Obsession
8. @Keto
9. @Rory1262
10. @Grundi
11. @dezmil
12. @Clay S
13. @simon_zzz
14. @Feynmansbongos
15. @emwolf
16. @Odenihy
17. @dfoulk
18. @Clark Finestead
19. @bobmsp
20. @dmshaver
21. @DCRIII
22. @mozartman
23. @Ray Settanta
24. @cyberdog
25. @CzechCzar
26. @Cut Throat
27. @herbert7890
28. @JWK1
29. @amateriat
30. @valthun
31. @ram57
32. @Chef Glenn
33. @SolidSnake03
34. @Parallax
35. @Badger in the Sun
36. @‘Bout Time
37. @BBS-1
38. @MC Shaving
39. @vadim
40. @johnwick
41. @Olegausany
42. @ryinzana
43. @pdieten
44. @Zen Shaver
45. @Schinny
46. @Calm_Shaver
47. @P@tsfan6484
48. @gwsmallwood
49. @CarlosAT

58842409-2F34-44D0-A9FC-A141C75B4DB9.jpeg

Well, the Rex has finally made it back home safely and sound. Thus, the end of the Rex Tour pass around. I would like to take a brief moment and thank all of the fine gentlemen that took the time to participate and put forth their experiences with the Rex in great detail for others to read and most importantly share those shave stories. The journey started nearly a year and a half ago and practically toured the Continental US, coast to coast. More importantly, it achieved this with nearly a single major setback during it’s travels minus a hiccup once or twice but, remarkably the razor made its destinations without much issue. Truly a great testament to those that participated and followed the rules set forth in insuring and securing the razor and its contents so that it could get to the next stop without delay (yes, the US Postal Service gets a pat on the back). I’m truly humbled and privileged that these eyes have seen some great comradery among this group of wet shavers that showed a true willingness to make sure that this pass around be a success. And for that, I am most grateful to everyone of you gentlemen.

Another thanks to the Administrators on the B&B who allowed me to kick-off this pass around with pretty much free reign on how to conduct it. Even though towards the end it was relegated to the Clubs & Brotherhood section severely limiting it’s exposure to a broader audience, I am truly appreciative of what the B&B Elders allowed me to do.

It was a hell of a ride and though mostly everyone here enjoyed the use and experience with the razor, it was I who actually reaped the benefit the most on just some great reads and invaluable information that was shared.

Thank you, Gents. Happy Shaves to ALL....:shaving:

1. @ShavePastor
2. @Dave in KY
3. @Graydog
4. @NJDJ
5. @ED3054
6. @JTshaves
7. @Sharp_Obsession
8. @Keto
9. @Rory1262
10. @Grundi
11. @dezmil
12. @Clay S
13. @simon_zzz
14. @Feynmansbongos
15. @emwolf
16. @Odenihy
17. @dfoulk
18. @Clark Finestead
19. @bobmsp
20. @dmshaver
21. @DCRIII
22. @mozartman
23. @Ray Settanta
24. @cyberdog
25. @CzechCzar
26. @Cut Throat
27. @herbert7890
28. @JWK1
29. @amateriat
30. @valthun
31. @ram57
32. @Chef Glenn
33. @SolidSnake03
34. @Parallax
35. @Badger in the Sun
36. @‘Bout Time
37. @BBS-1
38. @MC Shaving
39. @vadim
40. @johnwick
41. @Olegausany
42. @ryinzana
43. @pdieten
44. @Zen Shaver
45. @Schinny
46. @Calm_Shaver
47. @P@tsfan6484
48. @gwsmallwood
49. @CarlosAT

Thank you Gus and congrats for creating this epic pass-around of what has proven to be my favorite razor! :)

Wow. It's likely that no one will see this, but I appreciate all of the reviews and comments. I purchased a Rex about half way through your tour. I prefer smoother razors and haven't taken the Rex beyond level 3. It is a regular in my top 5 rotation and have enjoyed it. Thanks againl

Thank you, @GlazedBoker, for all the work doing this!! I'm very grateful to you and everyone here on B&B who take the time to share thru these passarounds!! They're fun and informative (and an excellent way to try-before-you-buy)!! The Rex Ambassador is a very nice piece of equipment!!

Top Bottom