What's new

Rev579's Journey from Cartridges to Old School

Thanks again. I was updating some information and doubled checked the date codes today. I need to go back and edit some of my posts to reflect the 1959 razor instead of a 1957.

My Set-Up
  • AoS Pre-Shave Oil ● New No-Name Mug(Came with an old brush I picked up)
  • Jack Black Supreme Cream ● AoS Escali Badger Brush
  • New Merkur 34C HD ● Personna Lab Blue DE Blade
  • Pre de Provence No. 63 Shea Butter Aftershave Balm

Pre-Shave Application
No run, hot tub or steam room this morning, but the hot shower is a must. Soaked the brush while showering. AoS Pre-Shave Oil. Face lather. I used more(the size of 2 shelled cashews) than last time and it worked like a charm for 3 applications.

The Shave
Merkur, loaded with Personna Blues. Cheeks first. Each pass left a layer of cream on the skin. This was quite different from my Fat Boy, and even the VDH. Audibly, each stroke was also different. I did my neck, then jawline. The new razor grabbed in the area of my chin, this was a first, and a bit unnerving. When I was done with the first pass, I still felt a lot of stubble. Was the Fat Boy that good? Same blade.
Pass number 2 was necessary. Used more technique(Neutral angle, WTG on 1st pass, XTG & ATG with 2nd pass) largely because I was unsure of what the razor would and could do, compared to the TTO's I have used as introductions to DE shaving. Touch-up with pass number 3. No blood.

Post-Shave Application
Totally looked forward to applying the No. 63. Mrs. Rev579 likes it, so it's a keeper.

The Results
I need to decide if I need a different blade in this razor. My chin is not smooth like I expect. Neck is a little less smooth too. I am not bit blown away by the Merkur/Personna Combo, but it's the first time I have used a razor like this. I hope this is more of a learning-curve experience.

My Set-Up
  • AoS Pre-Shave Oil ● New No-Name Mug(Came with an old brush I picked up)

Pre-Shave Application
No run, hot tub or steam room this morning, but the hot shower is a must. Soaked the brush while showering. AoS Pre-Shave Oil. Face lather. I used more(the size of 2 shelled cashews) than last time and it worked like a charm for 3 applications.

The Shave
Merkur, loaded with Personna Blues. Cheeks first. Each pass left a layer of cream on the skin. This was quite different from my Fat Boy, and even the VDH. Audibly, each stroke was also different. I did my neck, then jawline. The new razor grabbed in the area of my chin, this was a first, and a bit unnerving. When I was done with the first pass, I still felt a lot of stubble. Was the Fat Boy that good? Same blade.
Pass number 2 was necessary. Used more technique(Neutral angle, WTG on 1st pass, XTG & ATG with 2nd pass) largely because I was unsure of what the razor would and could do, compared to the TTO's I have used as introductions to DE shaving. Touch-up with pass number 3. No blood.

Post-Shave Application
Totally looked forward to applying the No. 63. Mrs. Rev579 likes it, so it's a keeper.

The Results
I need to decide if I need a different blade in this razor. My chin is not smooth like I expect. Neck is a little less smooth too. I am not bit blown away by the Merkur/Personna Combo, but it's the first time I have used a razor like this. I hope this is more of a learning-curve experience.

Great write up. The Merkur34C HD is a great razor, as you use it more you will find it’s sweet spot.

My Set-Up
  • 50's Old Spice Mug
  • 1948-50 Gillette Aristocrat ● Personna Lab Blue DE Blade

Pre-Shave Application
No run, but after working out I got in the hot tub and steam room, followed by a hot shower. Soaked the brush while showering. No Pre-Shave Oil. Face lather.

The Shave
Merkur, loaded with Personna Blues. Cheeks first. Was able to get a more efficient cut with each pass. WTG on 1st pass, ATG on the 2nd pass. Again each pass was different audibly and in terms of efficiency when compared to my Fat Boy. Upon completion of the 2nd pass, the Merkur was done.
I took the razor out and placed it in my Aristocrat. I made a new batch of lather, brushed the lather on and went to work. Immediately I experienced a profound difference, both audibly and in terms of efficient passes.
This pass, number 3 was really necessary. Outstanding finish. Smooth and no blood.

Post-Shave Application
Totally looked forward to applying the No. 63.

The Results
I am putting the Merkur up for a while. I am also ordering new razors, among them some Feathers. It's not how you start, but it's how you finish. The 48-50 Aristocrat ran a great anchor-leg.

....The Merkur34C HD is a great razor, as you use it more you will find it’s sweet spot.

....I am putting the Merkur up for a while.

If the Merkur 34C isn't working for you, while the others are (the Aristocrats are awesome razors indeed!), then put it away for a while, but DON'T toss it. Revisit it several months from now, and see how it does. The 34C was the first DE that I used, and I didn't care for it all that much; it sat in a drawer for a long while. Then, one day earlier this year, I accidentally came across it and decided to try it again - amazingly, I find that I like it after all; I even got a Merkur 37C slant to accompany it. :001_cool:

If the Merkur 34C isn't working for you, while the others are (the Aristocrats are awesome razors indeed!), then put it away for a while, but DON'T toss it. Revisit it several months from now, and see how it does. The 34C was the first DE that I used, and I didn't care for it all that much; it sat in a drawer for a long while. Then, one day earlier this year, I accidentally came across it and decided to try it again - amazingly, I find that I like it after all; I even got a Merkur 37C slant to accompany it. :001_cool:

I'm not getting rid of it, but I am going to wait to get a couple of other blades and see if that makes a difference. The easiest place for me to shave in a more aggressive manner is in the area of my sideburns. I can go at it WTG, XTG, and ATG without any issues. With the adjustable, I could dial it in at "6" and I knew that was essentially my max, but it didn't matter what angle I tried with the Merkur 34C HD, I left food on the plate. I don't know if it was the Personna Blue or the Merkur, but i will give it a go when I get some Feather blades in.

My Set-Up
  • 50's Old Spice Mug
  • Jack Black Supreme Cream ● Century Boar Brush
  • 1948-50 Gillette Aristocrat Personna Lab Blue DE Blade
proxy.php

Dec 14 SOTD. New mod for the day-No. 4 Century Brush with Boar bristles.

Pre-Shave Application
No run, but after working out I got in the hot tub and steam room, followed by a hot shower. Soaked the brush while showering. Pre-Shave Oil applied then made the lather in the cup. More than enough for 2 passes.
I need to comment on this brush.

The Shave
Learning opportunity this morning. I have begun the practice of not locking the razor in while it dries, instead, leaving just a bit of pressure on the gate and razor. With the first pass I realized something was significantly different, LOTS of blade contact. Forgot to lock the blade in. Lesson learned. WTG on 1st pass, ATG or XTG, depending on the area, on the 2nd pass. Outstanding finish. Smooth and no blood.

Post-Shave Application
Since with water and apply the No. 63.

The Results
3pm, still smooth. I might have found The Razor in the 48-50 Aristocrat. I look forward to shaving.

My Set-Up
  • 50's Old Spice Mug
  • ToOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream ● Escali Badger Brush
  • NIB Edwin Jagger DE89L Feather Hi-Stanless(yellow box) Blade

proxy.php

Dec 15 SOTD. New mod for the day-Edwin Jagger DE89L w/a Feather Blade

Pre-Shave Application
No run, a hot shower only. Soaked the brush while showering. No Pre-Shave Oil. Made lather for a new-to-me tub of Sandalwood ToOBS(Thanks @d4klutz) in the mug. The lather had more depth than the Jack Black, however the cream is pretty different. There was more than enough for 2 passes, and it went on nicely.

The Shave
After ordering new blades(Feather, Astra SP, GSB, & Personna Blues), I could not wait to try out the Feathers with the EJ. Coupled with a new handle and shave cream, I had given some thought to a different brush, but really wanted to pay more attention to shave, the handle, the different head, and the blade. Audibly, the shave was different than the Aristocrat and Fatboy, in that it was not as loud, however more "responsive" than the Merkur 34C. I decided not to "feel" as I went through the first pass, simply assuming it would deliver the BBS that most desire. Depending on the area, the first pass was WTG, ATG, and/or XTG. After the last bit was cut, I gave it a quick check. It was a pretty good first pass everywhere except my chin. There were a couple of reasons for this.
To begin with, I am still new to the DE thing. Then, I had a funeral this afternoon and didn't want to be a bloody mess. Further, I have read that Feathers were SHARP! Finally, the EJ would be a new head. So, as I hit my chin, I was careful, perhaps overly careful.
For the 2nd pass, I was able to hit some of the places that needed touching up, get to them nicely and do so without cutting myself. I noticed that I just didn't risk much on my chin...risk/reward ratio. In the end, I would have to say that while it wasn't my closest ever, It was not a slouch either. I'd give it an "A".

Post-Shave Application
Rinse with water and apply the No. 63. Noticed a sting on my lower neck, both sides, but it wasn't red.

The Results
I think I know why EJ sends Feathers with the DE89L's. The EJ hit some of the areas better than the Aristocrat and Fatboy, but clearly have the potential to filet my chin-this I can tell. It is a good safety razor. It glides along my face well, so whether or not this has something to do with ToOBS or the head, something is working right. In terms of shaving cream, the ToOBS is good stuff, but I wonder if I need a different cup/bowl instead of a mug. I also am beginning to question my Escali brush(Pictured directly behind the No. 63, with the wooden handle). I can't say anything really bad about it-the price was right. The Century I used yesterday was pretty cool though. I am convinced that was an old Boar with a really firm spine but soft tips. I might have to head to the gym on a Saturday just to try it out again.

If there are any recommendations on lather making videos, please share a few links below. I can say we have very hard water, which can create a problem.

My Set-Up
  • Small Stainless Bowl
  • ToOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream ● Semogue 730 HD
  • 1955 Gillette Diplomat Gillette Silver Blue

Dec 18 SOTD. New mods for the day-1955 Diplomat w/a Gillette Silver Blue, Semogue 730 HD, Stainless bowl for lather

Pre-Shave Application
Soaked the brush while showering. No Pre-Shave Oil. Made lather in the bowl. The lather was the best yet. There was more than enough for 2 passes, and it went on nicely.

The Shave
When I did the first pass, i was almost worried that I wasn't getting a good cut. I waited until I have made an entire pass before checking my face. Simply wow. It was just shy of a DFS...with one pass. Of course the cowlick areas on my neck were par for the course, but everything else was cut so well I was puzzled and amazed. I've used person Blues in the Diplomat with a great deal of confidence, but this was something else. I finished up with ATG, and/or XTG.

Post-Shave Application
Rinse with water and apply the No. 63. Felt great.

Footnote
Today was a great day. Why? I was able to teach my son how to wet-shave. Using a Van Der Hagen kit and the Fat Boy that was PIF'd to me by @ccpastork, Ryan began this journey too. Soapy lather, watching as I tried to lather his face, then lathering for him, letting him find the blade on setting no. 1, shaving a check for him, showing him a better angle, and then letting him follow suite on a no. 3 setting.
Thank you B&B

My Set-Up
  • Small Stainless Bowl
  • ToOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream ● Semogue 730 HD
  • 1955 Gillette Diplomat Gillette Silver Blue

Dec 18 SOTD. New mods for the day-1955 Diplomat w/a Gillette Silver Blue, Semogue 730 HD, Stainless bowl for lather

Pre-Shave Application
Soaked the brush while showering. No Pre-Shave Oil. Made lather in the bowl. The lather was the best yet. There was more than enough for 2 passes, and it went on nicely.

The Shave
When I did the first pass, i was almost worried that I wasn't getting a good cut. I waited until I have made an entire pass before checking my face. Simply wow. It was just shy of a DFS...with one pass. Of course the cowlick areas on my neck were par for the course, but everything else was cut so well I was puzzled and amazed. I've used person Blues in the Diplomat with a great deal of confidence, but this was something else. I finished up with ATG, and/or XTG.

Post-Shave Application

Footnote
Today was a great day. Why? I was able to teach my son how to wet-shave. Using a Van Der Hagen kit and the Fat Boy that was PIF'd to me by @ccpastork, Ryan began this journey too. Soapy lather, watching as I tried to lather his face, then lathering for him, letting him find the blade on setting no. 1, shaving a check for him, showing him a better angle, and then letting him follow suite on a no. 3 setting.
Thank you B&B

Great write up and a bonus story about your son. Congratulation, I am glad to hear the Fatboy is creating some memories with your son.

My Set-Up
  • Small Pyrex Bowl
  • Homemade Pre-Shave Oil
  • Jack Black Supreme Creme
  • Reknotted Ever Ready 100Tuxedo
  • 1959 Gillette Fat Boy Gillette Silver Blue
proxy.php

Dec 23 SOTD. New mods for the day-Pyrex Bowl, Re-knotted 100Tuxedo

Pre-Shave Application
Soaked the brush while showering. Applied homemade Pre-Shave Oil after showering. Made lather in the bowl. New brush lathered nicely and applied even better. There was more than enough for 2 passes, and it went on nicely.

The Shave
When I did the first pass, set at 5, it was about the same as the Diplomat and Aristocrat. 5 is really close on my neck. I finished up with ATG, and/or XTG. I am curious as to why there was more audible feedback on the Fat Boy than the Dip & ‘Cat, but the same close shave(at least on the sides of my face).

Post-Shave Application

Final Thoughts
If the cap, gap, and angle are the same between the both the Diplomat & Aristocrat, is there a setting in which the Fat Boy can be dialed up to be The Same? Is the Fat Boy, at 5, more efficient than the other 2?

My Set-Up
  • New GP12 Scuttle
  • ToOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream
B1E2B013-4E4C-44AF-B120-46380FDCADD5.jpeg

Dec 26 SOTD. New mods for the day-GP12 Scuttle

Pre-Shave Application
Filled scuttle with hot water and soaked the brush while showering. Made lather in the scuttle. The brush lathered nicely and applied the more than warm lather even better. There was more than enough for 2 passes, and it went on nicely. There was too much water

The Shave
WTG, Fatboy set at 5, it was about the same as the Diplomat and Aristocrat. I finished up with ATG, and/or XTG. I need to say it was great to apply really warm lather for the second pass. It was a great treat.

Post-Shave Application

Final Thoughts
The scuttle is great. The textured interior aids in the affirmation of the shaving cream, helping to create a great lather. Secondly, the lather really does stay nice and warm for a second and/or 3rd pass. I almost wish the fatboy and blade were less efficient so I could have made a necessary 3rd pass.
7836FB6A-1B88-48E4-81EE-F236C50B4CBB.jpeg

My Set-Up
  • New GP12 Scuttle
  • ToOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream
View attachment 847564

Dec 26 SOTD. New mods for the day-GP12 Scuttle

Pre-Shave Application
Filled scuttle with hot water and soaked the brush while showering. Made lather in the scuttle. The brush lathered nicely and applied the more than warm lather even better. There was more than enough for 2 passes, and it went on nicely. There was too much water

The Shave
WTG, Fatboy set at 5, it was about the same as the Diplomat and Aristocrat. I finished up with ATG, and/or XTG. I need to say it was great to apply really warm lather for the second pass. It was a great treat.

Post-Shave Application

Final Thoughts
The scuttle is great. The textured interior aids in the affirmation of the shaving cream, helping to create a great lather. Secondly, the lather really does stay nice and warm for a second and/or 3rd pass. I almost wish the fatboy and blade were less efficient so I could have made a necessary 3rd pass.
View attachment 847565

Set the Fatboy at 3, this is what I use for my 3 pass shaves.

Set the Fatboy at 3, this is what I use for my 3 pass shaves.

I have noticed that if I have the razor set on 3, I tend to use more pressure on my pass than when it is set on 5. On 5, I let the blade and razor do the work-all of it. On 3, I can press more and pass faster if needed. I assume this is the pro/con with a lower setting.
It also makes me think I have a lot of technique to learn if I’m ever going to shave comfortably at a setting that is higher than a 5.
I plan on trying a pick tomorrow. It might be a good day to set it lower. Thanks!

I have noticed that if I have the razor set on 3, I tend to use more pressure on my pass than when it is set on 5. On 5, I let the blade and razor do the work-all of it. On 3, I can press more and pass faster if needed. I assume this is the pro/con with a lower setting.
It also makes me think I have a lot of technique to learn if I’m ever going to shave comfortably at a setting that is higher than a 5.
I plan on trying a pick tomorrow. It might be a good day to set it lower. Thanks!

It is a pro/con thing.
After getting consistently good results with my first razor I then developed the same issue. I recently started using a 1931 Gold New De Luxe, this razor made me realize my technique was getting sloppy...this razor requires NO pressure. I enjoyex four amazing shaves so far with each easily lasting 48 hours.

It is a pro/con thing.
After getting consistently good results with my first razor I then developed the same issue. I recently started using a 1931 Gold New De Luxe, this razor made me realize my technique was getting sloppy...this razor requires NO pressure. I enjoyex four amazing shaves so far with each easily lasting 48 hours.

My latest shave(4th shave with a GSB) has still been effective. It might not pass a cotton ball test, but it would still best my Mach 3 razor with a couple of shaves left before I’d toss the cartridge. It’s effective enough that at 24 hours, it’s almost too soon to shave again.

My latest shave(4th shave with a GSB) has still been effective. It might not pass a cotton ball test, but it would still best my Mach 3 razor with a couple of shaves left before I’d toss the cartridge. It’s effective enough that at 24 hours, it’s almost too soon to shave again.

Well done, that is definitely worthy of celebration!
:a50:

Top Bottom