What's new

Rev579's Journey from Cartridges to Old School

Friday is my day. It is my day-off, a day for new and for firsts. Today was that day. After spending the morning walking through antique stores, looking for a variety of elements I would like to add to my shave experience, I ran across a few interesting things here and there. From the first store:
GEM & Eversharp SE.jpg

GEM SE3.jpg

GEM SE 2.jpg

Schick Eversharp SE.jpg

Ladies Razor.jpg

What I have read about the GEM terrifies me(not really, but I have read some butchery stories). The Curve-Rite just wasn't my style. Not knowing enough about any of these, I went on to the next shop. Still on the hunt.
Here I found 2 razors I recently read up on:
2 SS Razors.jpg

Both SS's seemed pretty servicable and looked like they might be able to be cleaned up, however, not knowing the price-points on these, I left thinking they were not going anywhere over the weekend. Oh, and there was the Sheaffer...
When I went into the final place, one straight razor stood out, but knowing absolutely nothing, I quickly snapped this pick and headed home for my "first" shave.
Straight Razors1.jpg

My Set-Up
AoS Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented
Jack Black Supreme Cream Triple Cushion Shave Lather
AoS Escali Badger Brush
Old Coffee Mug
Van Der Hagen DE Safety Razor
Merkur Platinum Coated DE Razor(sample from AoS)

First Shave.jpg

Pre-Shave Prep
As I prepped for the shave, I place my brush in the mug I planned to use for the JB Cream, and filled it with hot water. I took a hot shower, toweled-off and headed to the sink.
mug & brush.jpg

Pre-Shave Application
After drying off, I applied and messaged in the pre-shave oil from AoS. I then dumped the hot water out of the mug, shook off most of the water out of the brush and added approximately .5 tsp of the JB shave cream. I spend about 2 minutes working the cream around in the mug. It never frothed, however it did work into a lather that would more than cover my face 3 times. After letting it set for approximately 1 minute, I felt like it was time to get to work.

The Shave
After reading a post here related to technique trumps tool, I reminded myself to not treat this like my Mach 3(I shave really, really fast and aggressively), and to first, go slow as well as trust the feel more than the mirror. Armed with a newly purchased Van Der Hagen Safety Razor and a sample Merkur Blade, it was time to fish or cut bait.
Down my cheek I went. Then down my neck. Shaving like I had my Van Dyke, or Goatee, I followed the contours of my face, downward. I also read that these DE's really like XTG and ATG, so XTG was my next move. Working little tricks I've picked up over time with my "speed-shaving", XTG went well too. All was good, except I had not yet gotten to my jaw-line, my chin, lips, or under my nose.
Shelving my confidence, I slowly did the jawline. No problems. Chin, well that felt like and seemed like it was going to take forever. I don't know that my chin has been as smooth as it is this evening since I was a kid. I would say the same thing about my upper lip. Bottom line, closest shave I've had in a long, long time. But the real question was how did I do?

The Results
No Blood! After looking at a few pictures online related to people not knowing how to shave and the blood spilled from shaving with DE's, SE's, and Straight Razors, I was determined not to be that guy. What this also meant was there could have been a greater likelihood that I would be a bleeder. I've been shaving regularly since I was at least 15 and probably more likely 14. So, after 32-33 years of shaving, this is the first time in a long time that I have felt a sense of accomplishment with shaving.

Post-Mortum
Looking back a few hours later, I have a couple of thoughts, questions, and comments. A few days ago, I used the Pre-Shave Oil before using my canned shaving cream. The cream did not want to stick at all. Using it this afternoon, the cream, while it did stick, I think 1.5 day of beard growth helped the cream attach and that the oil was less-helpful than helpful. I wonder if I am (1)fouling up the application process, or if (2) the cream and oil don't mix as well as cream and soap do, or (3) something else. The AoS Pre-Shave Oil has proven to be nice when shaving after-the-fact, but I think I am using it incorrectly.

As I worked with the Shave Cream, the brush was an absolute asset. From what I read about the JB Cream, it works a little differently than many expect it to, but worked like I read it was supposed to work. I did not add water to the cream, but wonder if I should have added a little more. Again, I also wonder if my pre-shave oil effected the cream. But I have to say, I really like the JB Cream. Over the years I have tried a ton, but this was different than anything else I've ever used. I should also add that just about everything folks here use is different than what I have tried. Shoot, I thought I was stepping out by buying Neutrogena Shaving cream in a tube and/or can. Again, I like the JB Supreme Cream Triple Cushion Shave Lather

There are too many razors to choose from when I comes to shaving with a DE Razor. I don't think I am saying anything new here, but I realize that we all need something a little different than the other guy uses. So where do we start? CCPastorK has been kind enough to send me a Fatboy Razor, as an extension of of Christmas Charis, and it has left me speechless. MacfromMichigan is sending me some sample razors, again not because I've done anyting to warrant it, but because it is who they are and I didn't know where to even begin. So, in the meantime, I picked up a $10 clearanced Van Der Hagen Premium Set(Mug, Puck, & Brush) and the $9 clearanced Van Der Hagen Razor at Walgreens. I inserted an extra Merkur Razor I have had for 3 years or so and went to work. The razor worked well, but differently than my Mach 3. I really think and it feels like the shave is significantly better than my cartridge shave. I do wonder about DE shaving techniques that cross-over from cartridge techniques and those that don't, how my NOT sensitive skin plays a role in the positive experience I had, and if I have found my razor sweet-spot by accident. The razor did need to be cleaned under running water more than swished in still soapy water. I also rinsed the razor, with the crown opened, and cleaned the other side of the razor too. Is that necessary or over-kill? The razor was good, but it was the first DE I have used. The bar has been set.

All in all, it was a great day. Have a fantastic weekend!

Attachments

• Merkur Razor.jpg
    Merkur Razor.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
Welcome aboard. I would recommend finding one razor that you like and using it exclusively for a while. They all shave differently and you want as few factors as possible while refining your technique.

The GEM razors can be great razors. I like them more than my DEs. You also had a Shick injector in one of the pictures. I have yet to try one but many people love them. There will be time to explore all of these later though.

It sounds like your lather might be a little dry since it is sticking to your razor so much. You said that you didn't add any water to the cream. Add a few drops at a time until you get a nice shiny lather with a yogurty consistency. This is one of those things that will get better over time.

Welcome to the journals. Sounds like you had a good day of antiquing.

I enjoyed your write up, way to get started. I think you will LOVE the razors you have coming your way, the Fat Boy is one that it seems everyone enjoys. Being an adjustable razor it makes sense it would work for so many people.

I have only use a Merkur blade once, I didn’t like it much. I’ll admit I was new enough it is possible the failure was mine but I just never tried them again. The only other blade I didn’t like was Shark, the ones I tried couldn’t have been any worse.

Keep it up.

I would recommend finding one razor that you like and using it exclusively for a while. They all shave differently and you want as few factors as possible while refining your technique.

Welcome aboard & great job! I second Quijote - it's a good idea to get a basic technique down with one set-up. You will get different opinions here about just about everything - razors, blades, soaps, creams . . . evryone's beard, skin and technique are different, so . . . but then you can start varying an element at a time, and you'll wind up with the best equipment for you.

I don't have a lot of experience with creams, since I generally prefer soft soaps, but adding a few drops of water at a time is a good technique for both. If you post photos of your lather here, you will get lots of advice, I'm sure!

Saturday(Day 2)
My Set-Up
No Pre-Shave Oil
AoS Escali Badger Brush
Old Coffee Mug
Merkur Platinum Coated DE Razor(Second Shave)

Pre-Shave Application
After drying off, I did not apply any pre-shave oil. I did dump the hot water out of the mug, but did not shake off any water out of the brush. I again added approximately .5 tsp of the JB shave cream to the bottom of the mug. I spend about 2 minutes working the cream around in the mug. It did froth, however it seemed very thin. i then applied the lather to my face. After letting it set for approximately 1 minute, I began the shave.

The Shave
Emerging from the confidence of yesterday's shave, I was less tentative as before. Using the same patterns and techniques, I went down my cheek, then down my neck. XTG went well, as did the ATG(where I did it). The cream was not thick like it was the day before-too much water. Other than the lather being too thin, all was good. After a complete shave, I applied the thin lather again-it was there, so why not? Like yesterday, I was able to hit a couple of spots that needed a follow-up based on directional hair changes.

The Results
Again, no blood. I am sure the shave was not as close as yesterday, but it was a DFS. I also noticed a difference in the general feel of my skin from yesterday.

Post-Mortum
Pre-Shave Oil
or pre-shave treatment is good. The JB Supreme Cream had too much water. Adjustments will be made Sunday(day 3). Still slow around the chin, everything else is money.

Last edited:
Sunday(Day 3)
My Set-Up
AoS Pre-Shave Oil
AoS Escali Badger Brush
Old Coffee Mug
Merkur Platinum Coated DE Razor(Second Shave)

Pre-Shave Application
Hot Shower. After drying off, I did AoS Pre-Shave Oil. I dumped the hot water out of the mug and shook off excess water out of the brush. I again added approximately .5 tsp of the JB shave cream, but this time to the brush. I spend about 2 minutes working the cream around in the mug. It did froth, more like Day 1, but with a better froth. The brush was not as dry as my first attempt. I applied the lather to my face. I am not sure if I used a different amount of oil on my face the first time or what, but the lather adhered much better this morning. After letting it set for approximately 1 minute, I began the shave.

The Shave
Using the same patterns and techniques, I went down my cheek, then down my neck. XTG went well, as did the ATG(where I did it). The cream was not thick like it was the first time, but better than the day before when I used too much water. All was good. After a complete shave, I applied the lather again and hit the same spots that needed a follow-up based on directional hair changes.

The Results
No blood. I feel like the shave was better than Saturday, but again, not as close as the day with the new razor. I will say it was better than DFS, or better than the best I have received from a cartridge shave, but just below a new razor shave. I also noticed a difference in the general feel of my skin from yesterday, it was better.

Post-Mortum
Pre-Shave Oil
or pre-shave treatment is good. The JB Supreme Cream had too much water the day before. I still need to work out the right ratio of water and cream. The chin will take time to master. How many shaves are a razor good for? I need to think about After-Shave and post-shave rinse routine, as I have been a shave-in-the-shower guy.

I remember, when I first began shaving, there were two areas that where challenging: My Adam's Apple; and my chin. I learned to swallow while hitting my throat, this still works. Modern Cartridge razors have made the area of the chin a bit easier, but after typically having hair on my chin since the early 90's, it's a dense area and I'm out of practice.

Monday(Day 4)
My Set-Up
AoS Pre-Shave Oil
AoS Escali Badger Brush
Old Coffee Mug
*Merkur Platinum Coated DE Razor(Fourth Shave)

Pre-Shave Application
Hot Shower. AoS Pre-Shave Oil. Hot water prep for the brush. 1 Solid shake of the saturated brush to release excess water. I again added approximately <1 tsp of the JB shave cream, in the mug. <2 minutes working the cream around in the mug. Good froth on the brush, not a lot in the cup. I applied the lather to my face. The lather set on my face really well. After letting it set for approximately 1 minute, I began the shave.

The Shave
WTG & XTG has always been my primary technique. The cream was really where I think I want it. It was not as thick as the first day, but thick enough for what I like. After a complete shave, I applied the lather again and hit the same spots that needed a follow-up based on directional hair changes.

The Results
I could tell there was a different in the blade. 4 days might be the limit for my tastes. Again, no blood no sting. I guess I neeed to know the difference between a DFS and a BBS. Using my definition, it was in between these two, but leaning toward the BBS.

Post-Mortum
Pre-Shave Oil
or pre-shave treatment is good. I like the JB Supreme Cream. The chin went much better, even with a blade at the end of it's cycle. I don't have a solution for the After-Shave and post-shave rinse routine as of yet.
One of the ways in which I have been successful with the close shaves isn't really a secret, just what I have been taught.
Move what you can control and trust your natural reflexes. I don't press too hard when I shave, I fill my cheeks with air and let the razor do the work. Around my mouth, I hold the razor still and move my lips and mouth. Our facial muscles are incredible and our skin is sensitive. When we allow these two to work in harmony(not balance), magic happens. You can find a splinter with your lip or tongue, but not with you hands. Our face is fine motor skill, defined.
I am sure most of the folks here know this, it is what my dad and maternal grandfather both, independently, taught me about shaving. It is a skill, but shouldn't be a lost art or lost skill.

By the way, I'm All-In on "Old School", and I am curious to see, "how" old school I end up. This is cool because the lady who cuts my hair, and is the grand-daughter of the Pearl Harbor Survivor I will most likely ever meet, is talking about getting her Barber's License too. Shave and a Haircut, 2-bits?

*The VDH is about to get bumped from use for a while. a very kind and generous act from a couple of forum members(ccPastorK and MacFromMichigan) did me the honor of allowing me to be a recipient of a few PIF items: 1957 FatBoy, a shave stick, cream sample, and 5 tucks from ccPastorK(how'd he know that about me?) and some blades from MacFromMichigan. The FatBoy arrived this afternoon!!!

Tuesday(Day 5)
My Set-Up
AoS Pre-Shave Oil
AoS Escali Badger Brush
Old Coffee Mug
1957 E2 Gillette Fatboy(First use of an adjustable DE Razor
Personna Lab Blue DE Blade(First Shave)

Pre-Shave Application
Hot Shower. AoS Pre-Shave Oil. Hot water prep for the brush. 1 Solid shake of the saturated brush to release excess water. I again added approximately <1 tsp of the JB shave cream, in the mug. <2 minutes working the cream around in the mug. Good froth on the brush, not a lot in the cup. I applied the lather to my face. The lather set on my face really well. After letting it set for approximately 1 minute, I began the shave.

The Shave
I asked for advice on the setting to use for this Razor. To his credit, CCPastorK suggested an initial setting of 3. After one downward pass, I decided(yes someone who is still far to green to be making such a call) to adjust it to... 6. I'll wait for the laughter to end... In the meantime, I feel good about the way in which I am making lather with the JB Supreme Cream. Now that we are all done laughing or cringing. I will say it worked in the area of the sideburns and below the jawline, but as I made my to the area where the hair direction shifts to grow upward, halfway down my neck, fireworks happened. I moved the setting down to 5, but it was too late, the damage was done. Pass number 2 was good, but watching speckling happen on my lower neck was disheartening.

The Results
I can no longer say "No Blood". I can say this is a different shaver than the VDH, I could tell there was a difference from the beginning. Great razor and blade combo. I loved the work above the jaw-line, but on my lower, I failed, not the instrument. Above the jawline and the chin, this was a great shave, of BBS quality on a 5 setting. 5 hours later I still feel some of the error along my collar. Without the luxury of flipping through the forum, I used Aquaphor on the razor-burn areas.

Post-Mortum
  1. I really need a post-shave solution, and it never became more evident than this morning.
  2. If we can agree that "sweet-spots" are discovered by identifying where the "cost" exceeds "value", then we can also agree that finding sweet-spots usually mean crossing the "cost" line while attaining the desired "value". Obviously, once you cross that "cost" line, value drops like a lead balloon. This was achieved..unfortunately. Based on my discovery what setting is too aggressive on my neck, I now know my neck is well below a 6 on an E2 Gillette Fat Boy. I also know my sideburns and cheeks are a 5 or 6, Chin is a 4 or 5. I say either because I went so slow on the 5 setting that the results might be achievable at the lower setting too.
  3. I will use a 4 setting on one side of my face tomorrow and a 5 setting on the other side.
  4. I will more than likely skip my neck tomorrow.
*The following entries will be about what needs to be worked out, what is new, what is different or extraordinary results/experiences.

My Set-Up
  • AoS Pre-Shave Oil
  • Jack Black Supreme Cream ● AoS Escali Badger Brush
  • 1957 E2 Gillette Fatboy ● Personna Lab Blue DE Blade

Pre-Shave Application
After a 45 min run outside, followed by time in a hot-tub and steam steam room, I took a hot shower, while soaking the brush. AoS Pre-Shave Oil. Face lather(need to use more next time).

The Shave
FatBoy set on 5 for above the jaw, 4 below mid-neck. Pass number 2 was good, however I can tell that I did a number on my neck yesterday.

The Results
I am getting the hang of the FatBoy. The use of an adjustable razor offers options that perhaps a fixed razor does not. Many thanks to CCPastorK. The face still feels smooth 8 hours later. Neck is fine.

My Set-Up
  • AoS Pre-Shave Oil
  • Pre de Provence No. 63 Shea Butter Aftershave Balm

Pre-Shave Application
After my run outside, followed by time in a hot-tub and steam steam room, I took a hot shower, while soaking the brush. AoS Pre-Shave Oil. Face lather. And though I used more than last time and applied it differently, I'll need to still use more.

The Shave
FatBoy set on 5 for above the jaw, 4 below mid-neck. I did my neck first, the my face this morning. Pass number 2 was great. I did not try to get as close as I normally do on my neck, but I think it is all good now.

Post-Shave Application
After shaving this morning I was able to apply the No. 63. This stuff has a great scent. The stuff either needs to be unscented or have a great scent if I am going to wear it. I hope Mrs. Rev579 likes it because this is a keeper. Not only does it smell great, but it feels great too. Full endorsement.

The Results
Really like the FatBoy. In fact, this morning I noticed my morning beard was noticeably(by feel) shorter than most mornings. I credit the difference to the 1957 E2 Gillette Fat Boy and Personna Lab Blue shave combination. I should also add, after reading a number of comments about adjustable razors, I was hesitant, but I used them as they are-adjustable, instead of simply adjusting them and never moving the setting during the shave. The face feels really good, my neck also feels good. I am so glad I used the No. 63, it has an amazing scent. I am a bit blown away by the scent, it's the first of many I suspect, but nonetheless, it checks all the boxes.

My Set-Up
  • AoS Pre-Shave Oil
  • Pre de Provence No. 63 Shea Butter Aftershave Balm

Pre-Shave Application
After my run outside, followed by time in a hot-tub and steam steam room, I took a hot shower, while soaking the brush. AoS Pre-Shave Oil. Face lather. And though I used more than last time and applied it differently, I'll need to still use more.

The Shave
FatBoy set on 5 for above the jaw, 4 below mid-neck. I did my neck first, the my face this morning. Pass number 2 was great. I did not try to get as close as I normally do on my neck, but I think it is all good now.

Post-Shave Application
After shaving this morning I was able to apply the No. 63. This stuff has a great scent. The stuff either needs to be unscented or have a great scent if I am going to wear it. I hope Mrs. Rev579 likes it because this is a keeper. Not only does it smell great, but it feels great too. Full endorsement.

The Results
Really like the FatBoy. In fact, this morning I noticed my morning beard was noticeably(by feel) shorter than most mornings. I credit the difference to the 1957 E2 Gillette Fat Boy and Personna Lab Blue shave combination. I should also add, after reading a number of comments about adjustable razors, I was hesitant, but I used them as they are-adjustable, instead of simply adjusting them and never moving the setting during the shave. The face feels really good, my neck also feels good. I am so glad I used the No. 63, it has an amazing scent. I am a bit blown away by the scent, it's the first of many I suspect, but nonetheless, it checks all the boxes.

REV579,
I realized I posted the wrong date for your Fatboy (went back and looked at the original PM)...it is an E2 which means it is a 1959. I should have caught this earlier.

So glad you are enjoying the Fatboy, my 1961 Fatboy sees the most use of any of the razors I own.

Top Bottom