What's new

Refreshing an Edge: Coticule+Asagi

Whenever my razors need their edges refreshed, I'll do about 10 laps on a Coticule, followed by 15-20 laps on my Asagi. This produces really great, long lasting edges.

Now the thing that I'm wondering is - do any of you take the razor back down to around 8k or 10k before using your finishing hone of choice?

I do it because in my mind, by using the Coticule first I'm making a nice "blank slate" for the Asagi to work on. Does that make sense, or am I just hone-crazy?

A coticule with just water cuts less aggressively than an 8k. Whenever a razor stats to dull, you have to take it as low as you have to take it. That depends on how dull it gets before the refrest. Sometimes you need to go to an 8k, sometimes you only need a couple passes on your finisher. It's not like you have to worry about removing excessive amounts of metal on these hones anyway...

I take it back down to an 8k when I notice the the secondary bevel wearing down, it takes a while.

Ok....total Newb question here but how do you "notice" this? Are you talking about something visible to the naked eye or do you mean notice by feel? :huh:

Ok....total Newb question here but how do you "notice" this? Are you talking about something visible to the naked eye or do you mean notice by feel? :huh:

When you have a bevel made with tape you can see this by shining a bright light and the secondary bevel reflects. Same way if there was a blunt spot on your blade. When the secondary bevel wears down you can see just the opposite and even my wife's monster magnifying glass in her bathroom has a noticeable difference. When it wears down is when I take it back down to an 8 k Norton or coticule again.

Top Bottom