What's new

Killing the edge

I feel like reading this thread is as entertaining as watching paint dry. Anyhow I keep coming back haha. I have killed edges on problem razors when trying to set a bevel but never found it useful after that. Have not really tested it that much but dropping down a stone has always fixed the problem for me. I think it is just one of those things that may or may not work depending on someone's honing style - so have fun, test it yourself, and do your thing.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I feel like reading this thread is as entertaining as watching paint dry. Anyhow I keep coming back haha. I have killed edges on problem razors when trying to set a bevel but never found it useful after that. Have not really tested it that much but dropping down a stone has always fixed the problem for me. I think it is just one of those things that may or may not work depending on someone's honing style - so have fun, test it yourself, and do your thing.

Hard to argue with this, I agree, it’s honing style, not so much substance since there are a lot of alternatives.

Hard to argue with this, I agree, it’s honing style, not so much substance since there are a lot of alternatives.
I agree . I always wandered about it though, a few very accomplished honers do it, and can't argue with one fellows edge i have shaved with. Imo i think it's a waste of good razor steel. But maybe i am wrong.... If you wanna response post on the forum and you might learn a thing or two, from others opinions and experiences. I do believe there's always a burr, period its all burr minimization. Iwaskai delt with it on a substrate with give/compression and he went back to the hone to remove the convexity the strop introduced. Some say he finished on abrasive paste, i don't think he did he only removed the burr then went back to the hones. But is apprentice did a video recently and he came off the jnat to a pasted strop and didn't go back to the jnat hone.

Me if i want natural edge, i want that stone to be the last thing razor touches other than my plain linen and leather. A good natural stone doesn't need any final coaxing from an abrasive that's made by man/out of a bottle

Fast-forward to 11:20 and he explains the removal of the burr, i don't think he went back to the jnat after the diamond pasted fabic.

Last edited:
I will joint an edge here and there. Especially if there is some micro pitting and if so I might do it multiple times. If I’m going to a whole new progression I will sometimes do it, just to confirm the edge is true to what I want.

As far as I can tell it is such a small deal it’s hard to tell the difference if one could at all. There is no right or wrong here as long as the final edge is a good shaving one.
Yes, same with me, jointing the edge reveals the depth of pitting and rotten steel. This rot can begin to happen within a few minutes with my high-carbon steel edges if I don't clean my razors after shaving. but not with stainless. The carbon steel is so thin at the edge that the rot on the front and back of the edge eats away and destroys the shiny polished edge.

Uchigumori for breakfast anyone. Alx (Ozaki mine at lowest elevation near the highway)
1704717793294.jpeg

Yes, same with me, jointing the edge reveals the depth of pitting and rotten steel. This rot can begin to happen within a few minutes with my high-carbon steel edges if I don't clean my razors after shaving. but not with stainless. The carbon steel is so thin at the edge that the rot on the front and back of the edge eats away and destroys the shiny polished edge.

Uchigumori for breakfast anyone. Alx (Ozaki mine at lowest elevation near the highway)View attachment 1776667
So, this is where all the Ebay stones come from:)

Top Bottom