What's new

Trying to Find That Shirt

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
This requires a bit of context first...

Canada has a chain of work-wear stores called Mark's Work Wearhouse. While they carry many international brands they also have their own lines. One of them is "WindRiver Outfitting Co." which is not the same as the clothing company of nearly the same name in the U.S. (and the U.S. company doesn't make what I want...).

I like cotton shirts. I have a slowly diminishing collection of them and have been looking all over for some replacement. Briefly, what I want falls into the following rather general categories:

Office casual
Long sleeve
Button-down collar preferred
100 per cent cotton
solid colour
tuck-in

That may sound like an easy lift, but I haven't found it so. For years Mark's had exactly what I wanted, but now they're courting the office guys who like skinny high-water jeans (or who need jeans with Spandex), fashion plaids, and un-tucked shirts. I'm not impressed. Not my style.

I want a nice comfortable shirt that isn't permanent press or a synthetic blend. I do not want denim shirts because then I show up in a Canadian Tuxedo. Solid colours are good because I often wear wildly patterned bow ties and have a real aversion to mixing, say, paisley with plaid. Something in "office casual" would be good because I do go in offices occasionally but don't like looking like too much of a slob at other times unless I'm working outside on the farm. For that I have another wardrobe. :)

Anyway, if anyone has possibilities -- which would probably be mail order -- I'll take a look and see if I can find what I want. Canadian stores are my first choice because of sky-high shipping from the US, but I'll consider all options. I've thought of taking a week vacation in Vancouver and hitting up one of the bespoke tailors one finds there, but I'm not that desperate yet.

Thank you!

O.H.

Don't know if they have operations in Canada, but check with Uniqlo. I have several of their long-sleeve shirts, and the vast majority, and possibly all, of the shirts in my collection are 100% cotton.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Mercer is perfection in an OCBD. They cost a good bit, take a while, and are worth it in my opinion. The fabric is hefty. The colors are wonderful. The collar roll is perfection. They are soft and baggy.

Old Hippie

Mercer is perfection in an OCBD. They cost a good bit, take a while, and are worth it in my opinion. The fabric is hefty. The colors are wonderful. The collar roll is perfection. They are soft and baggy.

I'll check that out, thanks! My shirts have a life cycle. I wear them for office and casual purposes until they wear down a bit, then they're weekend and afternoon shirts until they wear down to shabbiness when they become work shirts for doing chores. Then they're wiping rags. :)

O.H.

Old Hippie

Ordering just one probably isn't the most cost effective, but until I find what I want I'll have to pick and try.

I ordered a shirt from Tyrwhitt's and will look around the other suggestions to see what comes up.

Thanks for the help!

O.H.

Old Hippie

A small update.

I had the sudden inspiration to pull out a couple of my better thrift shop finds and see who made them. "Better" in the sense that they are good shirts, but both embroidered with business logos which doesn't really matter to me. Looking them up online, one is a branch of Hanes (Gear For Sports) and the other, Brinell, turns out to be just down the road 350 km in Vancouver.

Now we'll see if they read their email...

O.H.

Old Hippie

This is what it looks like from the outside when I go down a rabbit hole. :)

The Tyrwhitt shirt arrived today. Well. I must say that it appears to be worth every penny. Fit like a charm right outta the package, including slightly long sleeves to go with my longer arms. The added pocket is well done and adequately deep. I'm seriously impressed.

I wish they had colours I find more congenial. I like deep colours: red, green, blue, purple and so on. But a muted coloured shirt that fits this well will always have a place in my closet. It's easy to jazz that up with a nice flourescent paisley butterfly bow tie.

Research continues...

O.H.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The Tyrwhitt shirt arrived today. Well. I must say that it appears to be worth every penny. ...

I wish they had colours I find more congenial.

Check them every 6 months or so ... they do tend to introduce new models and drop old ones twice a year for each fashion season. I suspect that they are in "summer season" now ... in a couple months they will transition to "winter season" with more of the darker colours.

Sweet! I like their twills and linens. But, don't people in the UK carry pens? I don't see pockets. More research will be done!

I've got a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt bought years ago from a second hand/thrift shop. It's an excellent, quite elaborately made shirt, and still made in England. But, as you observed, it doesn't have a pocket, so that it often stays in the closet. Ever fewer shirts here in Europe come with pockets. The first shirt I had without a pocket was from Marks and Spencer, bought thirty years ago in London - otherwise also a excellent shirt. That's okay in fall/winter, when I nearly always wear a tweed suit jacket with many pockets for my reading glasses, pens etc.

Cheers,

Gauthier

Old Hippie

I've got a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt bought years ago from a second hand/thrift shop. It's an excellent, quite elaborately made shirt, and still made in England. But, as you observed, it doesn't have a pocket, so that it often stays in the closet.

Another member pointed out that there's the option to have one added, which I took. The pocket does not seem to be just an add-on; it's decently deep and well-made.

I wore the shirt the other day when I went into town. Quite comfortable even in 38C/100F temps.

O.H.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've got a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt bought years ago from a second hand/thrift shop. It's an excellent, quite elaborately made shirt, and still made in England.

How old is it?

I've been buying CT shirts since about 2005, and they've always been made overseas. (Mind you, they always downplayed where the shirts were actually made, and emphasised the Jermyn Street thing.)

Still good shirts though.

I've been buying CT shirts since about 2005, and they've always been made overseas. (Mind you, they always downplayed where the shirts were actually made, and emphasised the Jermyn Street thing.)

I bought the shirt approximately 10 years ago in a second hand shop. It was naturally already a few years old when I bought it. Here are pictures of all the labels it has. I've been going on the assumption that it was made in England - specifically for the German market.

I am at all events quite impressed by the attention to detail - a two piece yoke, gussets in the seams.

Cheers,

Gauthier

Attachments

• P1130662.JPG
    P1130662.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • P1130663.JPG
    P1130663.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • P1130664.JPG
    P1130664.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8