What's new

Recommendations on a DE for sensitive skin.

Hello everyone! I have been cursed with sensitive skin and tough (yet fine) facial hair.

Been shaving with a DE for about two years now and I have an Edwin Jagger De89bl and I use Astra (green box) blades with it. And every time I shave I end up with razor burn and/or irritation. So I am looking for some recommendations on a DE that would would be better suited for me. What would you recommend for someone like me? I have Been looking at the Merkur 38C or the slant version the 39C.

I have very sensitive skin myself--I suffer from the skin disorder, rosacea. I have found the DE89 razor from Edwin Jagger works for me. I shave using Feather razor blades most of the time, although I recently started alternating with the red (Israeli) Personna blades for a little variety. I use Barbasol soothing Aloe shaving cream. I note that I "cut" the shaving cream by dribbling a few drops of water on it before applying it to my face, trying to achieve the perfect balance between cushioning and lubrication. I do not use any kind of after shave lotion. I rarely suffer from either razon burn or irritation. Of course, everyone's situation is different--maybe the DE89 razor just doesn't work for you, although it does have the reputation of being a very mild razor.

...although it does have the reputation of being a very mild razor.

That reputation is the reason I got it, however no matter what products I use along side of it. Still causes problems for me. That is how I have gotten to the conclusion that it has to be the razor it's self.

Welcome to B&B.
That reputation is the reason I got it, however no matter what products I use along side of it. Still causes problems for me. That is how I have gotten to the conclusion that it has to be the razor it's self.
Itr may not be the razor but your technique as razor burn is related to poor technique; the Shave Wiki {link top left of page} is very helpful. I would not discount incorrect blade angle either; check here, Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
You may wish to consider a Gillette Tech or one of it's clones but I would persevere with the DE89 and Astra SP which are a great combination for many.
Long handled razors can also be a problem if your technique is off. The Merkur 34C and 37C {38C & 39C long handle equivalents} are a little more aggressive than the DE89.

I have sensitive skin on my neck and enjoy using an adjustable razor to dial it down for my neck then up for my face etc. Using a vintage fatboy and loving the mildness it can come down to for my neck.

I found for my sensitive skin, on my neck, was to J-hook with the grain then across the grain.

Today quick lathered Williams (in a mug) and slapped it on my face for a cold water, Gillette Tech (GWS-MIC, 2nd use) Shave and I was able to do long, quick strokes. In my sensitive spots, just following the grain with a nice hooking motion, allows me to get irritation free, rather quick, SAS-DFS. It really is technique. I don’t spent time “softening my whiskers with warm water”. Cold shave, maybe a preshave quick face wash.

Edit: same goes for a DE89 shave. Although, I do find a short handle does help the pressure aspect of the technique.

Hello everyone! I have been cursed with sensitive skin and tough (yet fine) facial hair.

Been shaving with a DE for about two years now and I have an Edwin Jagger De89bl and I use Astra (green box) blades with it. And every time I shave I end up with razor burn and/or irritation. So I am looking for some recommendations on a DE that would would be better suited for me. What would you recommend for someone like me? I have Been looking at the Merkur 38C or the slant version the 39C.
I have sensitive skin as well. When I switched to open comb razors it was a big comfort improvement. I use Fatip razors.

1600581217681.jpeg

This special edition Piccolo comes with two base plates and they are reasonably priced.

I also have sensitive skin and tough bristles (Celtic curse).
My initial tactic with DE razors was to use shave with mild razors such as the Feather AS-D2.
However, I like to achieve BBS or close, and this requires a 3 pass shave plus quite a bit of buffing and clean-up.
I found that I could achieve the same result using a mid-aggressive razor (Wolfman, Merkur Futur, Blackbird) with far less strokes, resulting in less irritation.
Worth considering.

I have sensitive skin as well. When I switched to open comb razors it was a big comfort improvement. I use Fatip razors.

View attachment 1157442

This special edition Piccolo comes with two base plates and they are reasonably priced.

Was under the impression that open comb was for longer facial hair so I never considered them, might have to have a look based on what your saying.

Try reducing number of passes, I have a semi sensitive skin with very rough whiskers. I was getting cuts and weepers in between with a three pass shave and touch ups, went back to my earlier regime of two passes one WTG and the other XTG/ATG depending upon the sharpness of blade and the frequency of shave. Try using a smoother blades with EJ DE89 like Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Super Platinum or Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India made). Even s sharp blade like Feather or Nacet will work. Do not put any pressure at all in the passes and just glide the razor in both passes using it’s weight. Might work.

I have a sensitive neck and find the following.
Always shave after a warm shower. Wet your face and neck with cool water before starting. Use a sensitive preshave cream like proraso white. Or I even sometimes rub my fingers in my bloomed shaving soap and massage it in like a preshave cream. Then lather up with cool water and shave.

Also being very light on the razor is so important, have to really stroke the razor lightly when you have found the right angle. Also try different blades to find the smoothest ones which suit your skin and beard.

Finish with alum block and use a non greasy sensitive after shave balm.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would try a Merkur 34C/G or even a Gillette Tech. Fabulous razors and won’t break the bank. Any of these razors paired with a sharp blade such as a Feather may give you an excellent experience. It works in my case.

I would try a Merkur 34C/G or even a Gillette Tech. Fabulous razors and won’t break the bank. Any of these razors paired with a sharp blade such as a Feather may give you an excellent experience. It works in my case.

+1! Good advice! I also prefer the combination of a ’mild/moderate’ razor with a sharp (but not too sharp) blade. For me the 34C with a GSB or Nacet is a great combination! :a29:

I have rosacea as well and rarely suffer from irritation. The DE89 is one of the smoothest razors I have ever used and I have been doing this for 40 years. Only thing smoother I have used is a Gillette Superspeed. I will second Invicta's comment about really watching your angle. If you are off just a little you will be dragging the blade across your face on it's edge. Ouch. Try watching some of Geofatboy's videos as well. He usually shows how to find the correct angle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So many ways to go..... ;)

No matter which razor you use, dialing in the correct technique for that razor should provide good results.

The DE89 is a very good razor. Using a Wizamet Super Iridium, Silver Star or Personna Israeli Platinum Red, you should get a smooth and irritation free shave.

If you want to try a milder, but still effective when used with the correct technique, my advice to you would be to get a vintage Gillette Post-war Fat Handle Tech or, if you want a bit more efficiency + more audible feedback, the Pre-war Fat Handle Tech. There are a number of folks here at B&B who use these Techs in their rotations.

I'd also second the suggestions given for Fatip and Blackland razors - two of my favorite razor families.

Finally, I would search on these razors here at B&B. Read up on them - pro and con.

Good luck with your search and please remember: The journey is a big part of the fun. :)

YMMV :)

Was under the impression that open comb was for longer facial hair so I never considered them, might have to have a look based on what your saying.
While that was the original consideration, it leaves lather trails on the skin which is benefitable if you do overlapping short strokes.

A Gillette slim, while not open comb, allows for various levels of aggression through it's adjustments.

As noted above, there are many different things to try. Here is my experience being a similar shaver to yourself with sensitive skin.

1. I agree with the blade recs above. I use GSB, Nacets, Gillette Platinum, and Polsilver SI.

2. Try out razors and continue to work on technique. I started out with my grandfathers Superspeed flare tip and got just mediocre shaves with it. Probably also didn’t help I was using Feathers which cut my face up. Got a Parker Variant and used that for a while with decent success. Went back to the Superspeed and have gotten great shaves with it. Technique goes a long way.

3. I did find that using soaps over creams really helped. YMMV but if you aren’t using soaps, I would look that way. A&E Kaizen is a great base and very slick and nourishing.

4. My biggest piece of advice, don’t chase the BBS shave if it gives your irritation every time. In the last 2 weeks, I went to a 2 pass shave: WTG and XTG. I kept trying to get a BBS shave by finishing with an ATG pass and sometimes I would achieve it but at the risk of severe irritation. So for now, I’m doing a 2 pass shave and settling for DFS. Maybe I’ll get to the point where I can go for BBS at some point but I’m cutting my losses for now. Plus I get to shave more often.

Good luck!

Top Bottom