What's new

Recommendations on a DE for sensitive skin.

There's nothing wrong with the regular progress. I have a regular long handle one. I took off a 6 month beard with it without having to trim the beard first on setting 5 lol.
The audible feedback on the progress is awesome too. Really hear the hairs being cut!!! Just start on lowest setting. That thing rivals my futur when it's turned up!!

This may sound counterintuitive, but I recommend the 37c slant.

Many say it's aggressive but I disagree. It's efficient. Because of the twist in the blade it slices rather than chops. Once you get your angle right it's great!!

But if you don't want to try that, how about changing blades? When I started with same razor and blades I had issues too. My best blade I found was gillette silver blues. I "cork" the blade before 1st shave which simulates the first shave which many times feels more rough than 2,3,4th shave.
Maybe try corking your astra's too.
If you'd like you can private message me your address and I can tape some blades to a piece of paper and send them to you for free. These are what I have to choose from, and also new Derby's on the way, shark platinum, gillette 7oclock green super stainless and yellow sharp edge not in pictures. I also have some derby USTA (master) blades and the newer premium Derby's.
I don't know how many I can fit on a piece of paper but have a look at what I have and message me what you'd like to try :)

I also found with my 89 that I liked a steep angle (start with head at check and lower handle until it cuts)
Also, as marco said, avoid ATG. Maybe for a week or so only do a WTG each day. Won't be a close shave but will look presentable. Then next week try WTG and cross XTG pass. Avoid BBS for now and just get solid with technique and confidence that comes with any shave that doesn't hurt after.
Personally I don't go BBS unless it's a special occasion and almost never on my neck because my hair grow out almost flat.
Look forward to your message if you'd like to try more blades. :)
View attachment 1157881View attachment 1157882
I like your assortment and quantity, also the boxes. Now I know I am not alone in this world....or maybe we should go to group therapy?:eek2::letterk1::straight:

I like your assortment and quantity, also the boxes. Now I know I am not alone in this world....or maybe we should go to group therapy?:eek2::letterk1::straight:
Lol. Well you can add
200 derby extra post 2016
200 derby premium
100 derby USTA (master)
100 shark platinum
200 more astra SP (package and blade wrap changed want to check them out. Plus only $7 for 100 now on Amazon)
200 more astra SS (same reason as SP)
100 bic chrome platinum
100 perma sharp Super
100 gillette wilkinson sword
100 gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge yellow
100 7 o'clock super stainless green
100 personna crystal blue israeli
100 personna red israeli
250 wizamet iridium super (polsilver SI)

I may need therapy.
But in my defense Ive been on a restraint for 5 years and haven't purchased a single shaving anything. Haha

Lol. Well you can add
200 derby extra post 2016
200 derby premium
100 derby USTA (master)
100 shark platinum
200 more astra SP (package and blade wrap changed want to check them out. Plus only $7 for 100 now on Amazon)
200 more astra SS (same reason as SP)
100 bic chrome platinum
100 perma sharp Super
100 gillette wilkinson sword
100 gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge yellow
100 7 o'clock super stainless green
100 personna crystal blue israeli
100 personna red israeli
250 wizamet iridium super (polsilver SI)

I may need therapy.
But in my defense Ive been on a restraint for 5 years and haven't purchased a single shaving anything. Haha
Sounds like physical restraint....straight jacket?
I actually do not know how many and which I have....but a lot. Interestingly all blades are now more expensive.
I guess we are set for life!

Sounds like physical restraint....straight jacket?
I actually do not know how many and which I have....but a lot. Interestingly all blades are now more expensive.
I guess we are set for life!
Actually compared to 2015-2016 they are all cheaper. At least so far with what I have bought. Astra sp cost 12-14 back then. $7 now.
Gillette silver blue cost $23-$25 now can get them for $12-13.
Maybe some are more like polsilver because of discontinued but I'm getting them cheaper now than I ever paid.
Especially on Amazon

Astra Superior Platinum blades are mid range on the mild to aggressive scale. Treet Platinum blades have been shown to be the most consistent between shaves. You can go to refinedshave.com to see razor blade sharpness testing.

You should try an adjustable razor. Merkur Progress on a 2 setting, or a Gillette Slim Adjustable or Gillette Fatboy on a 3 setting would be good choices. Also, the Rockwell 6C with the 2 plate is a great choice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Technique trumps product. Technique is not solely limited to the razor and blade angle. One element that has not been highlighted yet is your lathering technique. A significant learning curve for me was developing a consistent and slick lather. I've found a correlation between the quality of my lather and the quality of my shave. How do you build your lather and do you feel it helps?

Start low. Like all the way down and see how it goes.
That gal took off my 6 month beard on setting 5 in one go.... No trimming first.
Did you get the short or long handle one?
I got the long handled one the short handle on my De89 feels awkward to me.

Technique trumps product. Technique is not solely limited to the razor and blade angle. One element that has not been highlighted yet is your lathering technique. A significant learning curve for me was developing a consistent and slick lather. I've found a correlation between the quality of my lather and the quality of my shave. How do you build your lather and do you feel it helps?

I got the long handled one the short handle on my De89 feels awkward to me. I use Proraso (in the bowl). I soak my brush in hot water for a few minutes; load it from the Proraso; then "whip" it up in my shave bowl till I get a nice whipped looking lather. Not doing this does make a big difference in shave quality.

I just wanted to provide a quick update, I have my Merkur Progress (set on 2-2.5) now and have used it a few times combined with the silver blues I have no razor burn or irritation after.

If anyone has the same issue/issues as me I strongly recommend this combo.

I just wanted to provide a quick update, I have my Merkur Progress (set on 2-2.5) now and have used it a few times combined with the silver blues I have no razor burn or irritation after.

If anyone has the same issue/issues as me I strongly recommend this combo.
Great blades!!!
Where does your progress read at 0 tightened down on the dial?

Between the + sign and the one, I have a picture I will try to upload later right now it keeps telling me about some kink of security, could be that I am on my phone.
That's where my original progress long handle lines up before mold change.
My new normal handle one lines up before that between 5 and +
So technically for equal aggression I have to subtract 1 from old number for new. And then it's close enough.

Glad you found a good combo. I have an adjustable razor I haven’t tried yet. Maybe it will work with the blades I don’t seem to like with my current razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you found a good combo. I have an adjustable razor I haven’t tried yet. Maybe it will work with the blades I don’t seem to like with my current razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like I try and tell people that are new, if you have blades that "don't work" or that "aren't right" seal them in a container and wait.
When you get to the point where you're having consistently good shaves without thinking like you aren't now, try them again.
You may not like them still, but you may just find out it was your technique.
Same thing happened to me. Settled on GSB for last 5 years and now starting to go back and try and finding blades I didn't like are awesome!!!
For now find what works, but later you never know. :)

Last edited:
You don't need another razor. It's your prep and technique that need work.

Prep is the single greatest factor in achieving a comfortable irritation free shave followed closely by technique.

Hot water hot water hot water. Shave after showering ideally. As hot as you can stand while having the water directly contact your beard. Or you can use a hot towel. Re-heat the towel if necessary

Shallow cutting angle and no pressure. None. Two passes with zero pressure is less irritating than one pass with light pressure. With the grain will suffice but across the grain is an option if you insist on a closer shave. Don't to against the grain.

A good shave soap will help to, but I'll assume you already have a decent soap considering how long you've been DE shaving

When I was first starting out years ago, I used a DE89 and had nothing but irritation. Switched to 34c and it went away. Not sure of the difference but it was night and day for me. Try some different blades and work on the technique. If it doesn't get better then try a 34c. I still pull mine out every once in awhile and get great shaves. Another thing that helped me was using cold water instead of hot water while shaving. Best of luck.

I'm somewhat new to wet shaving but I've already found that doing everything I can to ensure I have a "hot face" prior to shaving (e.g. shaving immediately after a hot shower, using hot water on my face before lathering, etc.) did nothing to make my shaving more comfortable. I've found using hot, HOT water on my face is, well, irritating all by itself; and I don't see how increasing my skin's irritation immediately prior to shaving is supposed to reduce irritation that could be brought about by shaving. It seems to me a mushy, softened beard (hot water) is only going to be more difficult to shave than a braced stiff beard (cool water) since stiffer hair is easier to cut cleanly which my logic tells me should result in a more comfortable shave. My personal experience bears out that it does but of course, YMMV.

Another thing I've found that irritates my skin is alcohol. With the exception of one particular aftershave I'm fond of, which has a very small amount of alcohol in it, my entire shave routine is alcohol free and my skin feels a lot better for it.

Top Bottom