What's new

Hello and good day

Pleasure. I'm new to de razor shaving. I'd like to get your opinions of what to look at.
Im 55 and just starting in the de razor world. I'd love to get your opinions on a good razor, synthetic brush, and cream for sensitive skin.
I think I'd prefer a two piece and the longer 4" models with some weight as I have 2 wrist replacements from sports injuries and the extra weight and longer handle would be easier for me ( I think).

Look forward to any advice and guidance.

Personally, I would try a middle of the road DE, preferably Stainless Steel, and work on technique until you master it. Not sure what your budget is. There is the Rockwell 6S. I haven't personally tried that razor but hear great things. Another cheaper option is the The Goodfellas' Smile Italico Double Edge Safety Razor. There are many options in between.

It's ultimately your choice on razor material, manufacturer, and price. I'd stay away from adjustable razors.

I can't recommend a synthetic brush. They scratch my face too much. Badger and boars work better for me.

You can try Proraso White for sensitive skin.

Welcome aboard!

I suggest you read through the WiKi, then focus on your technique.

In answer to your questions:
Razor: either a 34C HD on one of the EJ89 series.
Blades: purchase a blade sampler or two.
Brush: I prefer natural hair, preferably badger. Boar is more reasonably priced. So I suggest you purchase an appealing option in your price range.
Creams: I cannot help as I prefer soaps. And I have found that soap sticks are the easiest way to learn to lather.

A lot of recommendations on the Merkur 34c and, that a great one to start with but, if I can go back and start over… I would get the Rockwell 6S. It has different plates that you can work with and find your happy spot. Any synthetic brush will do but, eventually you will want to try a badger brush. Any Simpson will do you just fine. Taylor of Bond Street come to mind when I think of creams or, a tube of Proraso.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Pleasure. I'm new to de razor shaving. I'd like to get your opinions of what to look at.
Im 55 and just starting in the de razor world. I'd love to get your opinions on a good razor, synthetic brush, and cream for sensitive skin.
I think I'd prefer a two piece and the longer 4" models with some weight as I have 2 wrist replacements from sports injuries and the extra weight and longer handle would be easier for me ( I think).

Look forward to any advice and guidance.
Welcome to the forum, we're glad you're here.

I can't imagine why extra weight would be easier for you. The usual recommendation is to use quite short strokes and the reason for the recommendation is to keep your wrist out of the process. Wet shaving is usually done with the arm, not the wrist. I have a plate in one wrist after breaking it in 3 places and it likes lighter things, but I don't have any experience with replacements. I like a handle that balances well with the head - at any length.

You are, of course, welcome to buy anything you might like - and you'll find plenty of encouragement here for spending your money. My recommendation is to not spend to much on your first set of equipment, because if you're anything like the rest of us there will probably be a second set coming down the road. At the start developing good technique will be much more important than the hardware.

There are lots of fine synthetic brushes for around $15, and they're all pretty similar. The Proraso cream is a good suggestion. Good luck at the start of your shaving journey.

Thank you B&B gang. Great advice and friendly people. I've been watching some videos on tbe EJ DE89, it seems like it's got some weight, length and different handle options.
I have sensitive skin so I've been using proraso for a number of years with the cartridge and it seems to be working.
Thank you everyone... love reading suggestions and any online stores you recommend ? I'm in Canada if that matters .

Thank you B&B gang. Great advice and friendly people. I've been watching some videos on tbe EJ DE89, it seems like it's got some weight, length and different handle options.
I have sensitive skin so I've been using proraso for a number of years with the cartridge and it seems to be working.
Thank you everyone... love reading suggestions and any online stores you recommend ? I'm in Canada if that matters .
Fendrihan is a Canadian based store. I've purchased from them before here in the States with no issue.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
First of all, welcome to the B&B community.

If you like longer handles and heavier weight and the 34C is something you are still considering, I'd take a look at the Merkur 38C.. same head as the 34C but with a longer, heavier handle.

I don't think buying a RazoRock razor would be a poor decision... People here seem to be evenly split between the Game Changer and their Lupo... So either a Game Changer 0.68 or the Lupo 0.72 might be good places to start. There are a lot of choices in base plates for both razors.

Top Bottom