What's new

Recommendations on a DE for sensitive skin.

Thanks for the advice thus far.

Some of the blades that have been recommended are hard (at least for me) to find in Canada. Does anyone know of any Cadadian shops that sell them?

I would like to add the Feather Popular, I've only used it twice now, but from my limited experience, it seems to be a very mild razor.

I have very sensitive skin too. Must important things that helped me:

Don't chase BBS. A 2-pass shave is fine.
ZERO pressure.
Never ATG.

As for razors, I find the Yaqi Mellon works very well for me.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, the DE89 you are using is already a VERY mild razor. Hence, rather than change razor I'd work on technique. In order to avoid redness and irritation you need to use ZERO PRESSURE while shaving, just use the weight of the razor. Also, avoid ATG passes.

Hello everyone! I have been cursed with sensitive skin and tough (yet fine) facial hair.

Been shaving with a DE for about two years now and I have an Edwin Jagger De89bl and I use Astra (green box) blades with it. And every time I shave I end up with razor burn and/or irritation. So I am looking for some recommendations on a DE that would would be better suited for me. What would you recommend for someone like me? I have Been looking at the Merkur 38C or the slant version the 39C.
This may sound counterintuitive, but I recommend the 37c slant.

Many say it's aggressive but I disagree. It's efficient. Because of the twist in the blade it slices rather than chops. Once you get your angle right it's great!!

But if you don't want to try that, how about changing blades? When I started with same razor and blades I had issues too. My best blade I found was gillette silver blues. I "cork" the blade before 1st shave which simulates the first shave which many times feels more rough than 2,3,4th shave.
Maybe try corking your astra's too.
If you'd like you can private message me your address and I can tape some blades to a piece of paper and send them to you for free. These are what I have to choose from, and also new Derby's on the way, shark platinum, gillette 7oclock green super stainless and yellow sharp edge not in pictures. I also have some derby USTA (master) blades and the newer premium Derby's.
I don't know how many I can fit on a piece of paper but have a look at what I have and message me what you'd like to try :)

I also found with my 89 that I liked a steep angle (start with head at check and lower handle until it cuts)
Also, as marco said, avoid ATG. Maybe for a week or so only do a WTG each day. Won't be a close shave but will look presentable. Then next week try WTG and cross XTG pass. Avoid BBS for now and just get solid with technique and confidence that comes with any shave that doesn't hurt after.
Personally I don't go BBS unless it's a special occasion and almost never on my neck because my hair grow out almost flat.
Look forward to your message if you'd like to try more blades. :)
IMG_20200920_070426.jpg
IMG_20200920_070435.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention but need to in case it may be the issue.
If you feel like each side of your razor is different make sure the blade is in the head evenly and both sides have equal "stick out" of the blade past the top plate.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Much good information posted. I suffered from irritation on my neck for quite a while. Several things helped to reduce it and finally eliminate it for me. All I learned right here at B & B from other forum members.

1) As many have already said...don't chase BBS. There's a definite limit as to how many extra clean up passes you can do before the outcome is red irritation. Everyone is different, but it's just a fact.

2) Make sure you lather up properly for every pass including clean up strokes. The lather is the protection. To bypass it is to invite issues.

3) No pressure on the razor when shaving. Let the razor and blade do the work. Period! End of all paragraphs!

4) Cold water rinse before, after and during. I clean off the razor in cold water while I'm shaving. This might sound odd, but it helped me.

5). Someone already mentioned an alum block...good stuff. I have one and use it. But what really helped me was applying Witch Hazel after the final rinse and dry off. I splash some Thayers Witch Hazel on a facecloth and simply smooth the cloth over my face and neck. Feels great and works wonders.

It sounds to me based on your post, that you think the razor and possibly the blade used may be part of the problem. Several members have already posted that the the EJ razor you're using is already a mild razor...no idea...my EJ is the Chatsworth...have no experience with the one you're using. EJ makes a good razor, so it probably doesn't suffer from what I'm about to describe. One of my mildest razors is the RazoRock Mamba 70. Good razor. So that would be my suggestion for a mild razor. But there's an inherent issue that mild razors bring to the table with them. If the razor is too mild, then sometimes it will require extra strokes to get a decent shave. Extra strokes can cause irritation. Sort of a catch 22 situation. So...mild is fine, as long as the mildness doesn't sacrifice efficiency. My two cents on mild razors.

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
This may sound counterintuitive, but I recommend the 37c slant.

Many say it's aggressive but I disagree. It's efficient. Because of the twist in the blade it slices rather than chops. Once you get your angle right it's great!!

But if you don't want to try that, how about changing blades? When I started with same razor and blades I had issues too. My best blade I found was gillette silver blues. I "cork" the blade before 1st shave which simulates the first shave which many times feels more rough than 2,3,4th shave.
Maybe try corking your astra's too.
If you'd like you can private message me your address and I can tape some blades to a piece of paper and send them to you for free. These are what I have to choose from, and also new Derby's on the way, shark platinum, gillette 7oclock green super stainless and yellow sharp edge not in pictures. I also have some derby USTA (master) blades and the newer premium Derby's.
I don't know how many I can fit on a piece of paper but have a look at what I have and message me what you'd like to try :)

I also found with my 89 that I liked a steep angle (start with head at check and lower handle until it cuts)
Also, as marco said, avoid ATG. Maybe for a week or so only do a WTG each day. Won't be a close shave but will look presentable. Then next week try WTG and cross XTG pass. Avoid BBS for now and just get solid with technique and confidence that comes with any shave that doesn't hurt after.
Personally I don't go BBS unless it's a special occasion and almost never on my neck because my hair grow out almost flat.
Look forward to your message if you'd like to try more blades. :)
View attachment 1157881View attachment 1157882

Wow! now that is a lot of blades. And I really apricate the generous offer but I just ordered a sampler pack to see what blades work best for me

Much good information posted. I suffered from irritation on my neck for quite a while. Several things helped to reduce it and finally eliminate it for me. All I learned right here at B & B from other forum members.

1) As many have already said...don't chase BBS. There's a definite limit as to how many extra clean up passes you can do before the outcome is red irritation. Everyone is different, but it's just a fact.

2) Make sure you lather up properly for every pass including clean up strokes. The lather is the protection. To bypass it is to invite issues.

3) No pressure on the razor when shaving. Let the razor and blade do the work. Period! End of all paragraphs!

4) Cold water rinse before, after and during. I clean off the razor in cold water while I'm shaving. This might sound odd, but it helped me.

5). Someone already mentioned an alum block...good stuff. I have one and use it. But what really helped me was applying Witch Hazel after the final rinse and dry off. I splash some Thayers Witch Hazel on a facecloth and simply smooth the cloth over my face and neck. Feels great and works wonders.

It sounds to me based on your post, that you think the razor and possibly the blade used may be part of the problem. Several members have already posted that the the EJ razor you're using is already a mild razor...no idea...my EJ is the Chatsworth...have no experience with the one you're using. EJ makes a good razor, so it probably doesn't suffer from what I'm about to describe. One of my mildest razors is the RazoRock Mamba 70. Good razor. So that would be my suggestion for a mild razor. But there's an inherent issue that mild razors bring to the table with them. If the razor is too mild, then sometimes it will require extra strokes to get a decent shave. Extra strokes can cause irritation. Sort of a catch 22 situation. So...mild is fine, as long as the mildness doesn't sacrifice efficiency. My two cents on mild razors.

Happy shaves!

Thinking on getting a Merkur Progress to go with my new sampler of blades what is everyone's thought on that razor?

There's many excellent mild DE'S and of course blade choice is just as or even more important but very objective as for razors these are some great options

Rockwell 6S/6C (interchangeable from 1 to 6)
Razorock game changer 0.68
Merkur 34C
Gillette slim adjustable

My go to blades

Polsilver SI
King C Gillette blades
Perma sharp
Gillette nacet

Pretty much all good advice has been given. I would add enjoy the hunt and no need to put too much thought into which razor to get. If you are anything like the rest of us you will end up with LOTS of them LOL.

Hello everyone! I have been cursed with sensitive skin and tough (yet fine) facial hair.

Been shaving with a DE for about two years now and I have an Edwin Jagger De89bl and I use Astra (green box) blades with it. And every time I shave I end up with razor burn and/or irritation. So I am looking for some recommendations on a DE that would would be better suited for me. What would you recommend for someone like me? I have Been looking at the Merkur 38C or the slant version the 39C.
Feather AS-D2, look no further.

I typically show this YT video to demonstrate the sheer amount of abuse you can put on your face and still have an irritation free shave. I would never advise to shave as vigorously as this guy does, but you actually can.

I have the AS-D2 myself and this is THE razor for a hassle-free everyday / every 2 days shave.

Thinking on getting a Merkur Progress to go with my new sampler of blades what is everyone's thought on that razor?
I have the progress and it's a good razor. Lots of audio feedback on my beard. I also have a "mergress" which once upon a time a user names "Mer" was upgrading progress with a steel knob.
Considering you're new though I also recommend a Gillette slim adjustable.
The progress can be quite an aggressive razor when you turn it up, but also nice and mild turned down.
I took a 6 month beard off without trimming first with my progress on 5 lol.

I have the progress and it's a good razor. Lots of audio feedback on my beard. I also have a "mergress" which once upon a time a user names "Mer" was upgrading progress with a steel knob.
Considering you're new though I also recommend a Gillette slim adjustable.
The progress can be quite an aggressive razor when you turn it up, but also nice and mild turned down.
I took a 6 month beard off without trimming first with my progress on 5 lol.

So there is none with the steel nob I take? The plastic adjuster is the one thing I don't really like with that razor.

So there is none with the steel nob I take? The plastic adjuster is the one thing I don't really like with that razor.
That I couldn't tell you. These were special made from what I remember. You can try to look up "mergress" and see.
I got the long knob but it also came in a short knob .
I bought mine back in 2015ish
It's a steel machined knob changed the weight profile completely.
I also have a long handle progress and it's great too!!!
This mergress is a short handle with the special knob.
16007318809576094119370946626399.jpg

It sounds like you are using poor tehnique. I believe the problem is you are using pressure and too much passes because your blades are not sharp enough. Go get a sampler pack of blades and experiment a bit. I don't have to tell you you have to be mindfull of the lather too, make it slick. If that doesn't help i second the motion for Rockwell 6C or S. When I got my S (upgrade for EJ) quality of my shaves skyrocketed

Top Bottom