What's new

Recommend “Old School” British Fragrances (especially for Autumn)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A couple years ago I got a package deal on the 'bay for a 100ml Dunhill for Men EdT and a really terrific aftershave balm of the same name and scent. I just looked and the same combo is still available at a good price. It really is a British classic.

Bentley For Men or Bentley For Men Intense.
Both are really nice fragrances and they are perfect for autumn and winter.

Or why not Burberry London For Men?
One of my all time favorite winter fragrance, but it's also good for a cold autumn evening.

I forgot to add Dunhill for Men to my list. A real old time classic. Just used the balm and the EdT this morning. Be sure to get the '1934' version. I just looked and all the online discount frag shops still have it. There are about 75 different Dunhill for Men flankers.

OK, I have been curious about this fragrance for a while, and @Rrose Sélavy and @Owen Bawn gave me the nudge I needed to buy. I just received the EDT/balm package today, and I’m very impressed with the scent. It seems like a predecessor to Eau Sauvage, which I also love.

Also, it doesn’t seem dated at all, despite the 1934 date. Good recommendation!

Owen Bawn

OK, I have been curious about this fragrance for a while, and @Rrose Sélavy and @Owen Bawn gave me the nudge I needed to buy. I just received the EDT/balm package today, and I’m very impressed with the scent. It seems like a predecessor to Eau Sauvage, which I also love.

Also, it doesn’t seem dated at all, despite the 1934 date. Good recommendation!
I am particularly gifted when it comes to convincing others to spend their money...

proxy.php

I LOVE old-school British frags and own many. Here are my favorites I own all EXCEPT Floris Elite):

Floris Santal (classy warm woodsy / not very old, only 2002)
Floris No 89 (year rounder / launched in 1951)
Floris Elite (hardcore Fougere/green frag / launched in 1980)
Floris Leather Oud (fairly obvious scent, but relatively new creation. Absolute beast performance)
Penhaligon's Douro (oakmoss/sandalwood frag / launched 2004)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (lime blast up-front, but pine and pepper dominate after - launched 1902)
GFT Curzon (Oakmoss, launched 1882)
GFT Astor (Caraway/Amber/Incense, launched 1880)
Creed Mayfair (rose+eucalyptus...launched in 2014 but based on Windsor which was created in 1936)
I'd add Floris Honey Oud to that list as well, fantastic autumn/winter scent.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hi Everyone,

I’ve discovered that I really like the classic fragrances produced by British houses like TOBS, Floris, Truefitt & Hill, DR Harris, etc….

I’m looking for a fragrance recommendations of this sort that would be especially good for autumn/cooler weather. I like the TOBS Sandalwood AS, and I’m planning to get the cologne, but I’m open to other recommendations. Thanks!
Look into the DR Harris line ... I really like "Arlington", and "Marlborough" may be more what you are looking for specifically for Autumn. They have a whole "line" of each (and other) scent, so you can get the splash, balm, soap/cream for your shave, and then the cologne for all-day remembrance of the great shave.

If you are really interested in truly classic British colognes, you will have to look into Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet sooner or later. (Ditto their English Fern, but BB first.) But that stuff is pricey. And Floris 89.

Owen Bawn

If the price of Blenheim Bouquet was cut in half I'd probably use 3 or 4 times the amount I use now, meaning Penhaligon's would get a whole lot more of my money. At over $100 the bottle I only use it for 'special' occasions, which means it is seldom used. If it were 50 or even 60 dollars the bottle I'd be splashing it around like Holy Water at an exorcism.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If the price of Blenheim Bouquet was cut in half I'd probably use 3 or 4 times the amount I use now, meaning Penhaligon's would get a whole lot more of my money. At over $100 the bottle I only use it for 'special' occasions, which means it is seldom used. If it were 50 or even 60 dollars the bottle I'd be splashing it around like Holy Water at an exorcism.
Yeah, but them high-end brick-n-mortar rents ain't gonna pay themselves.

Another vote for Pashana; it is an AS but with the strenght of an EdT. As old school as you would ever whish for!
I don’t think you can get Pashana cologne in the US anymore, which is too bad because it was less expensive than the other British brands.

Consider Phoenix & Beau Spitfire. I haven't tried the soap but I have the scent as a solid cologne. The creators claim that it is reminiscent of their WWII fighting grandfather.
It is very woodsy and there is no hint of sweetness in it. I think it would suit autumn in particular very well. They describe the scent in great detail on their site.
I think it is quite classic, and even the art of the packaging has an old world feel using Art Deco and WWII era themes. It's very British indeed.

Last edited:
Look into the DR Harris line ... I really like "Arlington", and "Marlborough" may be more what you are looking for specifically for Autumn. They have a whole "line" of each (and other) scent, so you can get the splash, balm, soap/cream for your shave, and then the cologne for all-day remembrance of the great shave.

If you are really interested in truly classic British colognes, you will have to look into Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet sooner or later. (Ditto their English Fern, but BB first.) But that stuff is pricey. And Floris 89.
Also a second for the DR Harris Marlborough. I haven't tried the others but I liked the scent of the soap so much I got the cologne.

Top Bottom