What's new

Scent recommendations

So my wife discovered a new favorite scent while buying shaving stuff for me for Christmas, she adores the scent of TOBS Jermyn St (and I think I am getting a bottle of the cologne to go along with the cream) this has me thinking I might should explore some of the other classic British brands and was looking for recommendations. I was looking at the Truefitt and Hill line and the Floris line, any scents from those you guys can recommend, any similar brands I am missing?

any similar brands I am missing
Penhaligons leaps to mind as a brand. I really do not know much about the scents Pens has most recently added to its line up and I have not kept up with what is currently discontinued and not. But if you are looking for tradtional English male scents, things like English Fern (fougere, which is discontinued), Douro (barbershoppy, I suppose), Castile (neroli, kind of like a lot of Italian scents), I suppose Endymoin (vanilla, however the spell it), Blenheim Bouquet (pine, lemon, black pepper), Hamaman Bouquet (sp? careful with this one! wierd rose), Racquets (barbershop, also discontinued), Opus 1870 (cedar and fougere), and others I am sure I am forgetting fit. I would try before I bought. Pens had gotten expensive.

Czech & Speake is a classic Brit brand in a way. The scents themselves are less tradtional. 88 (dark rose, incense) is nice . a classic in its own way. Cuba (akin to bay rum in a way, but not bay rum, regular rum, lime, tobacco). Oxford & Cambridge (lavender and mint).

T&H: Grafton, I suppose. Spanish Leather although it ain't what it used to be.

Floris: No. 89 (old rose) and Special No. 127 (like 89 only lemon instead of rose, as I recall) are classics. Some like Elite a lot.

So my wife discovered a new favorite scent while buying shaving stuff for me for Christmas, she adores the scent of TOBS Jermyn St (and I think I am getting a bottle of the cologne to go along with the cream) this has me thinking I might should explore some of the other classic British brands and was looking for recommendations. I was looking at the Truefitt and Hill line and the Floris line, any scents from those you guys can recommend, any similar brands I am missing?
Of all the T&H scents, my wife likes Apsley on me the best. I get compliments every time I wear it from men & women. I also like Grafton.

I suggest getting their sampler. All their scents have the gentlemanly, dignified air to them. Higher quality than TOBS (my opinion) Just find the one thats right for you.

As for Floris, I'm wearing their Honey Oud right now. Unique smell that screams sophistication.

Great suggestions from Penhaligon's earlier. I'll add two I like if you are into Jermyn Street. Juniper Sling and Sartorial. Truefitt and Hill has a nice Sandalwood, but prefer Trumper's. From TOBS, I like Victorian Limes and Shaving Shop, though Shaving Shop has been discontinued I believe.

Juniper Sling and Sartorial.
I did belated mention Sartorial earlier, and it surely belongs on the list here.

I have not thought about Juniper Sling for awhile. I remember really liking it and liking gin-based scents in general. I frankly do not know whether gin scents have been around long enough to be traditional Brit frags. Seems to me I only started seeing them about 15 years ago or so, but I could be wrong. I do think they have a very traditional vibe to them. Clubman Reserve of all folks puts out a nice, inexpensive aftershave called Gent's Gin, which is not terrible, except it has no legs at all!

I definitely DON'T recommend blind buying colognes as you might end up with something you hate. If you already have the cream/soap or something from a particular line then the buy will be safer. Something could sound good on paper or in the description and you might still not like it.

For DR Harris, I really like Arlington for the Spring/Summer. Their Sandalwood cologne is nice for the Fall/Winter.

For GFT, I don't love all their scents but Wild Fern is great. Unfortunately they don't have matching shaving products for that one.

Pen's English Fern was unfortunately discontinued, maybe like a lighter, more refined version of GFT WF. Problems with oakmoss or slow sales may have killed it, not sure but it was really nice.

If you liked Taylor Jermyn St., it's possible you might like St. James or Eton College from the brand. TBH none of them are quite my thing but they all have their fans. My favorite of their old cologne scents is Mr. Taylor, though I don't own a bottle because it's a bit formal for me. It's nice though.

One of my top favorites is/was Atkinson's English Lavender. It's not well distributed stateside anymore, but depending on where you live you may be able to find a bottle still.

Someone mentioned Floris no. 89. Great scent, though a bit formal IMHO.

RE: T&H, my advice is to try samples. I don't really like most of their scents personally, but several are popular. Have not sniffed Apsley, which IIRC is a newer one.

Last edited:
I did belated mention Sartorial earlier, and it surely belongs on the list here.

I have not thought about Juniper Sling for awhile. I remember really liking it and liking gin-based scents in general. I frankly do not know whether gin scents have been around long enough to be traditional Brit frags. Seems to me I only started seeing them about 15 years ago or so, but I could be wrong. I do think they have a very traditional vibe to them. Clubman Reserve of all folks puts out a nice, inexpensive aftershave called Gent's Gin, which is not terrible, except it has no legs at all!
I have a mini bottle of Gent's Gin. It's definitely not bad for the price. Agree that performance is not great, but like it. According to this article, gin and fragrance have long been intertwined, but to your observation, recently perfumers have been borrowing heavily from gin scent profiles. Spirited Away, exploring the relationship between Gin & Perfume - https://oola-lab.com/blogs/notes/gin-and-perfume

I definitely DON'T recommend blind buying colognes as you might end up with something you hate. If you already have the cream/soap or something from a particular line then the buy will be safer. Something could sound good on paper or in the description and you might still not like it.

For DR Harris, I really like Arlington for the Spring/Summer. Their Sandalwood cologne is nice for the Fall/Winter.

For GFT, I don't love all their scents but Wild Fern is great. Unfortunately they don't have matching shaving products for that one.

Pen's English Fern was unfortunately discontinued, maybe like a lighter, more refined version of GFT WF. Problems with oakmoss or slow sales may have killed it, not sure but it was really nice.

If you liked Taylor Jermyn St., it's possible you might like St. James or Eton College from the brand. TBH none of them are quite my thing but they all have their fans. My favorite of their old cologne scents is Mr. Taylor, though I don't own a bottle because it's a bit formal for me. It's nice though.

One of my top favorites is/was Atkinson's English Lavender. It's not well distributed stateside anymore, but depending on where you live you may be able to find a bottle still.

Someone mentioned Floris no. 89. Great scent, though a bit formal IMHO.

RE: T&H, my advice is to try samples. I don't really like most of their scents personally, but several are popular. Have not sniffed Apsley, which IIRC is a newer one.

I really like Wild Fern as well, it has a great sharpness to it

Top Bottom