What's new

Recommend “Old School” British Fragrances (especially for Autumn)

Hi Everyone,

I’ve discovered that I really like the classic fragrances produced by British houses like TOBS, Floris, Truefitt & Hill, DR Harris, etc….

I’m looking for a fragrance recommendations of this sort that would be especially good for autumn/cooler weather. I like the TOBS Sandalwood AS, and I’m planning to get the cologne, but I’m open to other recommendations. Thanks!

lasta

Blade Biter
Eton College is year round for me, one of only 2 shaving cream/soap scents I liked enough to buy the matching EDC (the other being Santa Maria Novella).

scent ranks top 10 not only in my shaving related gear but my entire fragrance collection.

I LOVE old-school British frags and own many. Here are my favorites I own all EXCEPT Floris Elite):

Floris Santal (classy warm woodsy / not very old, only 2002)
Floris No 89 (year rounder / launched in 1951)
Floris Elite (hardcore Fougere/green frag / launched in 1980)
Floris Leather Oud (fairly obvious scent, but relatively new creation. Absolute beast performance)
Penhaligon's Douro (oakmoss/sandalwood frag / launched 2004)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (lime blast up-front, but pine and pepper dominate after - launched 1902)
GFT Curzon (Oakmoss, launched 1882)
GFT Astor (Caraway/Amber/Incense, launched 1880)
Creed Mayfair (rose+eucalyptus...launched in 2014 but based on Windsor which was created in 1936)

I would be hard-pressed to think of a more classic, old-school British fragrance then the unparalleled Dunhill for Men.

Plenty of good suggestions here. If you don’t want to get overwhelmed, I’d suggest to pick one from Geo F Trumper to start. Very safe masculine choices across the board and they are cheaper than Floris, Penhaligon’s and C&S.

I’d recommend Sandalwood (more modern, but with a classic soul) or Spanish Leather (more old school and my personal favorite from the house of Trumper’s). Both are not diametrically opposed to TOBS sandalwood as some of the suggestions above

Last edited:
Truefitt & Hill 1805 is an excellent fragrance that works year round, IMO.

If you branch out of the houses associated with shaving, Dunill Icon is also one of my personal favorites. Again, this seems like a year round scent to me.

DR Harris Arlington is a classic scent—perhaps more suited for cool weather.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone! Great suggestions! There are many of these that I still plan on trying. I did actually get a sample of Eucris; I like it, but my wife doesn't care for it (but I might still get a bottle later this winter for my own pleasure.)

I feel like GFT Sandalwood might be a sensible choice for the fall. I have the TOBS Sandalwood AS which I like very much; how do the two compare?

I would be hard-pressed to think of a more classic, old-school British fragrance then the unparalleled Dunhill for Men.

Can't buy it anymore though, right? Or maybe used via ebay only?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented

I forgot to add Dunhill for Men to my list. A real old time classic. Just used the balm and the EdT this morning. Be sure to get the '1934' version. I just looked and all the online discount frag shops still have it. There are about 75 different Dunhill for Men flankers.

Top Bottom