What's new

Recommend a Current Production Adjustable

I have a couple vintage Gillette adjustable razors (Slim and Fat Boy). What current production adjustable razors do you recommend?

If I was in the market I would be seriously looking at the Pearl Flexi as it is 100% brass, CNC machined and is around $80. It's got some good features and seems very well - regarded by many on the forum. The Mk 6 is said to be the definitive version, or V6.

Last edited:
Do you like your shaves with the Slim and Fatboy? What are you looking for?

I prefer the Merkur Progress to the two former as I feel it is more efficient and I don’t mind a bit of bladefeel.

Cnc‘ed brass or stainless steel will be definitely heavier than the old Gillette’s.

Do you like your shaves with the Slim and Fatboy? What are you looking for?

I prefer the Merkur Progress to the two former as I feel it is more efficient and I don’t mind a bit of bladefeel.

Cnc‘ed brass or stainless steel will be definitely heavier than the old Gillette’s.
Good question. Something a bit heavier and a bit more "efficient".

Good question. Something a bit heavier and a bit more "efficient".
I can weigh them tomorrow but the Progress, even though partially from Zamak, feels quite sturdy and efficient it is!

2567A124-8524-4665-A606-90BE6E989BB7.jpeg

I would recommend the Rex Ambassador (106g cnc stainless) or the Pearl Flexi (144g cnc brass). The Rex will have a bit more blade feel. Both are very smooth and efficient for me. The Rex will be a much higher cost. I like them both and purchased the Flexi for a travel razor.

The Progress has some quirks, which mantic59 covers on Youtube and in his blog.

When you get past those, it delivers a nice shave, from mild to moderately aggressive. I've used one for years. (Recently switched to a Lupo Aluminum, which gives a different experience.)

The Progress design is over 50 years old -- it must be doing something right.

. Charles

The Parker Variant is outstanding in engineering and in performance, and it's sensible in price.

But to be fair, I have about 11 adjustable razors, and I've never met an adjustable razor that I didn't LOVE. I don't really have a "favorite."

I choose the Parker Variant because of the all metal construction and the reasonable price. I like it, but discovered I like a shorter handle with a DE razor.

The only two modern adjustables that I have used are the two Merkurs, the Progress and the Futur. The Progress has more visual appeal for me, but the Futur gives me closer, more comfortable shaves. So the Progress was sold (sometimes I regret that choice) and the Futur is my sole adjustable razor. If you can get past it's ungainly looks and give yourself a chance to get comfortable with it, it is an excellent razor.

I have the the Rex Ambassador, Rockwell T2 and the Merkur Progress. All three deliver great shaves. If I could have just one it would be the Rex, followed by the Rockwell.

I have the the Rex Ambassador, Rockwell T2 and the Merkur Progress. All three deliver great shaves. If I could have just one it would be the Rex, followed by the Rockwell.
I have a Rockwell 6C, and while it is well made, it does not work for me. I find the head geometry strange, I can't put my finger on exactly what's wrong with it.

The only two modern adjustables that I have used are the two Merkurs, the Progress and the Futur. The Progress has more visual appeal for me, but the Futur gives me closer, more comfortable shaves. So the Progress was sold (sometimes I regret that choice) and the Futur is my sole adjustable razor. If you can get past it's ungainly looks and give yourself a chance to get comfortable with it, it is an excellent razor.
On the Futur, my brother had one and offered to give it to me. I find it to be very large, I mean huge compared to a Fat Boy which I think is a nice size. So I declined the offer. Almost pulled the trigger on a Progress, but there seems to be so many options that I thought I would get some opinions before getting yet another razor. I do like my Merkurs though.

Top Bottom