What's new

Recommend a Current Production Adjustable

I suggest the Progress. For my own needs, the Progress performed better (slightly) than the Futur. It was a more natural feel in the hand & on the face.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What current production adjustable razors do you recommend?

Oh, that's easy. I've only ever used one, the Rex Konsul.

Also depends on what you want out of an adjustable. Some guys buy an adjustable because they're going to try all the settings, pick the one that does the best overall, and stick with it. Some guys buy an adjustable because they want to have the ability to set the razor for a varying set of shave conditions. Some guys buy an adjustable because it's just so darn cool; how can you not have one?

I don't quibble with any of those reasons. After all, it's your money. :) Personally, I probably fit Reason #2 best, although my initial decision came through Reason #3. The Konsul sets a pretty high bar. I had considered a Progress some years back, but it just didn't excite me visually. Granted you can buy four Pearl Flexis for the same price and have enough left over to buy a lifetime supply of blades, but the Konsul is a darn good razor.

O.H.

On the Futur, my brother had one and offered to give it to me. I find it to be very large, I mean huge compared to a Fat Boy which I think is a nice size. So I declined the offer. Almost pulled the trigger on a Progress, but there seems to be so many options that I thought I would get some opinions before getting yet another razor. I do like my Merkurs though.
I would recommend you give the Futur a try, since your brother has offered it to you. I agree that it doesn't look like a razor that would be easy to use, but if you give it a chance it may surprise you.

Haha. Another adjustable advice thread.
The guy wants a slightly more aggressive razor than the Gillette adjustables. Easy.
My recommendation is Merkur Progress
Use 2, and have 2 spares. :c1:
I laso have 2 Futurs. I like Futur very much. But it is just that the Progress is slightly better.And we are not talking dimensions and weight here. The Progress clamps the blades better, that is why it has smaller gaps. Let's not forget the notches on the Progress safety guard, they make the shaving aggressive even with the smaller gaps.
The Futur should be able to shave even the most wiry whiskers. If you use the Futur @6 and can't get BBS, just switch to straights.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Probably unpopular: I never found gap adjustability too useful or making for a better razor/shave.
The only adjustable I might consider is the Muramasa for the adjustable exposure.
But it is too expensive compared to the Nodachi, and apparently rather on the mild side of adjustability.

My only modern adjustable DE razors are the Pearl Flexi and the Merkur Progress. Both are great and part of my rotation. My all time favorite adjustable razor is my vintage Schick adjustable M (1-3 or something i'm not 100 sure). It's not a DE razor, but it blows away almost anything else in my collection.

I have the the Rex Ambassador, Rockwell T2 and the Merkur Progress. All three deliver great shaves. If I could have just one it would be the Rex, followed by the Rockwell.
The Rex is pricey. Can I afford it? Yes. Do I think it's worth it? Not sure.
Once you get much above $130 that is very much the question. If you want an adjustable razor made in the US entirety of 316L stainless steel then there is a price to be paid. The Rockwell T2 is assembled in Canada and made up of parts made in Canada, USA, and China. Various parts are made up of stainless and some of zamac. It is a TTO, which appeals to me. The Progress is a clever design, Geman made and the head and handle are zamac. It is a classic that has been produced since the 1950s and very affordable.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I have the Parker Variant, Merkur Progress, Merkur Futur, Rockwell T2, Pearl Flexi, and Rex.
My choice is the Rex. IMO it’s everything a quality razor should be.
FYI the Gillette Super Adjustable ( AKA Black Beauty) has the largest blade gap of the three vintage Gillette adjustables. Maybe you should give one a try. They’re not that expensive on eBay.

Karve: Offered in brass, SS, and aluminum, with more gap selection than Rockwell. US to CAD exchange works well for us at the moment.

Pearl Flexi: another best buy, offering adjustability in a single platform. Very heavy, in comparison to what you have, but an excellent shaver.

Rex Ambassador: (IMO) there was some appropriation by Pearl, but... An excellent razor, generally considered aggressive. Absolutely the best grip available.

Rex Konsul: I don't have this one, but it is reportedly milder than the Ambassador, and just as efficient.

HLS Taiga: Don't have this one, and was about to buy before the invasion. Better price than Rex, supposedly milder and just as efficient. I still want one.😜

Rocnel Sailor: Yeah. I definitely understand appreciating the finer things, so if you have the buy in, go for it. I don't remember seeing one for resale, fwiw. Not on my shelf (shelves).

Tatara: Slightly less than the Sailor, also highly regarded. Might be the greatest thing ever, I just can't get past the wiffle-ball appearance.

Edit- And there I missed the two liner where you made your choice! Let us know!

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
My Gillette slim is in regular rotation with Rex ambassador and Rockwell 6s; Merkur futur has been given to a friend and its design flaws bother me more than the shaving effect.

Now my favorite would be Tatara muramasa.
It has an innovative structure that prioritizes blade exposure, which can intuitively know how many blades there are on my face, greatly reducing the time for adaptation or exploration; and muramasa is the only high-end adjustable type that does not require springs, and also reduces the use of threads, so it is less Disturbed by limescale or aging.
Very comfortable and easy to clean razor.

I think it looks like a prop of "STAR TREK", which is very attractive.
img_1_1647347846715.jpg

Also goes well with the AESOP Sori Yanagi stainless steel shaving bowl.
img_2_1647347890050.jpg

Top Bottom