What's new

Ready to move on

So last year I took the plunge and got my self a cheap shavette with derby blades . After a few shaves found a Feather artist club non folding on flea bay with professional blades which I have been using for the last couple of months. There have been nicks along the way but all in all not too bad and managing a rather tentative 3 pass shave.

I bought these as I was not sure if I would like it. So now discovering this wonderful world has opened up to me I want to get a straight razor and as there are so many out there what would you suggest as a good place to start I have been looking at a Thiers Issard 5/8 round point but then there are Dovo and Boker and very confused me. Lol.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Gordon.

Definitely a round point starting out, full hollow. 5/8 is fine if something catches your eye. The important part is just to make sure it’s professionally honed.

I preferred from the start a square tip, 5/8 , in a $10-15 vintage American, English, or German eBay razor. I still do.

Definitely a round point starting out, full hollow. 5/8 is fine if something catches your eye. The important part is just to make sure it’s professionally honed.
Why is the round point for beginners? Is it because it’s less dangerous. (That’s what I’m starting with). Also, why a hollow razor? Is it so you can hear what you are doing

Why is the round point for beginners? Is it because it’s less dangerous. (That’s what I’m starting with). Also, why a hollow razor? Is it so you can hear what you are doing

Round points, IMO of course, are just a little more forgiving. Square tipped SRs can be more visually appealing, but even a muted point can make for some irritation without care.

Full hollows do provide a nice audible feedback and are very comfortable shavers. At the least I’d avoid a wedge SR for now.

Round points, IMO of course, are just a little more forgiving. Square tipped SRs can be more visually appealing, but even a muted point can make for some irritation without care.

Full hollows do provide a nice audible feedback and are very comfortable shavers. At the least I’d avoid a wedge SR for now.
Thanks. You don’t learn if you don’t ask

Thank you all for all your advice.

Had a look on Ebay put a couple of bids on and ended up with 2 vintage razors. Which was not my intention.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190303-213058_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190303-213058_eBay.jpg
    845.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20190303-213113_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190303-213113_eBay.jpg
    743.6 KB · Views: 13
Any 5/8 or 6/8 with round tip will do fine, round tips generally strop easier IMO. You are less likely to cut yourself with a round tip compared to other point types.

Two nice razors y
Thank you all for all your advice.

Had a look on Ebay put a couple of bids on and ended up with 2 vintage razors. Which was not my intention.

Two nice razors you have there and they will come shave ready, I have bought from that seller myself.

Have to say thank you again for all the great advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

Cheers,
Gordon.

I sold most of my str8 stuff and kept the W&B and balsa strop. I was all ready for an enjoyable shave yesterday and for no special reason looked over to the str8 hanging w/ a lonely look and grabbed it and began shaving. No, doubt it should have been sharper and the shave went fairly. I did okay but knew better than using the Pinauld. Had to use the stypic stick though and finish w/ the DE as a clean up. It was still fun. I need a strop again and more dedication to the edge.

My journey with straights has been in the other direction. I started with traditionals and now rarely use them, preferring the Feather ACs for their low maintenance and convenience.

Top Bottom