What's new

Razorock SLOC with a twist.....

I've finally gone down in the books as trying the Razorock SLOC cap/2013 R41 baseplate combo. Very impressive! I ended up doing a three pass shave (normally I only do two plus touchup).

North-south, across, south-north. On my neck I'm a little more limited due to angular contours and end up doing variations of north-south and south-north at diagonal angles.

Blade was a Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless (two shaves on it already from my Rockwell 6s, making this shave #3 for the blade). Lather--Tabac.

I will say it wasn't the smoothest shave for me, but I felt it was smoother than the stock R41 cap. So long as I kept a reasonably shallow angle and found that good balance point of contact between cap and guard teeth I could pretty much do whatever I wanted. You still want to watch the pressure and I find it's beneficial to keep the stroke length shorter.

Results? CLOSE! I only ended up with the tiniest little weeper way down at the base of my neck...nothing else. My face feels a little less comfortable than it normally does after using my Rockwell 6s, but the shave has that level of closeness that is to a degree you KNOW you won't be feeling stubble for quite a while.

Happy Fourth!

proxy.php

Reactions: OB1
Recently learned I have stage 4 cancer (not a good thing).

My 1st week home I shaved using my RR 37 German. I'm a bit shaky these days so I was drawing blood pretty much daily.

Then I switched to my trusty SLOC. In the last three weeks I've drawn blood ONCE. I use RR Eleganza every day along with a synthetic brush.

Every day is a pleasure to shave with this razor. Everyone needs to check this one out.

Bridgelover I'm sorry to hear your news. Good thing that the SLOC has proved to be the razor you needed. It truly is a remarkable combination of relative mildness and great efficiency

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

My 1st week home I shaved using my RR 37 German. I'm a bit shaky these days so I was drawing blood pretty much daily.

Then I switched to my trusty SLOC. In the last three weeks I've drawn blood ONCE. I use RR Eleganza every day along with a synthetic brush. Every day is a pleasure to shave with this razor. Everyone needs to check this one out.

I am so sorry to hear of your cancer. That has got to be hard news for you. I pray for the best for you.

RR.SLOC.640.7-18-18.JPG

In that regard, the SLOC is small potatoes, but really good small potatoes. I discovered the razor only a month or two ago, but it immediately became one of my very favorites. You've nailed its essence. It's a pleasure to shave with. I'm so glad you have such a nice razor and that you can enjoy using it. Actually, I'm glad the both of us have it. If there is anyone who doesn't enjoy the razor I've not heard of it.

I agree: Everyone needs to check out the RR SLOC.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Bridgelover I'm sorry to read the sad news, but I'm glad that you find some joy in using your RR SLOC.

My shave with the SLOC today turned out to be a bit rough in my neck area. I haven't shaved with this razor for a while and must have gotten the angle wrong. Some razor burn at my neck was the result.
But all in all it is a very enjoyable razor, which effectiveness you shouldn't underestimate.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Then I switched to my trusty SLOC. In the last three weeks I've drawn blood ONCE. I use RR Eleganza every day along with a synthetic brush.

Every day is a pleasure to shave with this razor. Everyone needs to check this one out.
I hope you have some more great shaves with that SLOC and things turn for the better with your health.
Its one of my favorite razors also, I thinking of buying one for my son also.

Thank you all for your kind sentiments. It's up to a higher power to decide at this point but there is still hope.

My SLOC gives me a measure of pleasure these days and thats all one can ask.

Same head as the Yaqi DOC. I did the same pairing with the 41 a couple weeks ago. Nice shave! Actually I've swapped the cap onto six or seven other bottom plates, the Fatip is another good match.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Hi , I am curious how this cap works with the Fatip MK1. I did NOT like MK1 due to blade chatter, is this something that improves w this top? I have both Yaqi and RR tops......might need to try

Hi , I am curious how this cap works with the Fatip MK1. I did NOT like MK1 due to blade chatter, is this something that improves w this top? I have both Yaqi and RR tops......might need to try
Yes. The SLOC cap is wider and thus reduces cap span related chatter.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
Bridgelover sorry to hear your news.
I have tried every variation of the SLOCR and appreciated all the advice and suggestions.
The YAQI Mellon head does indeed tame the Muhle R41. I also found a variant of the Muhle R41 from the Global Shave Club called the Tribute 41+ which to me has a better face feel, and used with the YAQI Mellon head is nicely tamed.
I end up with extreme RAD and acquired the RR SLOC ver 1 & 2, the PAA DOC, then leaped upon eBay in a quest for an original Grand Shave King which I now use daily as it has by far the smoothest face feel.
I disagree with others who claim a BBS while using the SLOC. Perhaps with a 3 Pass this may be possible.
I am of the generation who was taught a single pass done right it how it is done to meet the Sargents morning inspection. While it may not be a true BBS it is close enough to meet inspection, and allow a good seal under a gas mask. Any closer is only required to meet my Wife's inspection on date night. ha ha
When shaving at 0330 every morning it is important that the razor be suitable to provide a close shave with minimal risk of any accidental nick or slice.
The SLOCR is a razor that defines a true Safety Razor. With Todays improved Blade steel technology and the current blade coating make a huge difference to the daily shave.
If there are those who do not believe.
Acquire a NEW UNUSED Gillette Blue DE Blade shave half of your face with it and then replace the blade with your favourite blade and experience the difference for yourself.
Couple this with your favourite version of the SLOCR and you have the makings of a daily shave experience that will give any day a safe, smooth and comfortable Shave. What More can a man ask?
Thanks for Listening

Top Bottom