What's new

Razorock SLOC with a twist.....

I've noticed an interesting "thing". When I use the SLOC to buff my chin area (the hardest area for me to get stubble-free) it itches after words. But, it doesn't turn red (trust me I can get irritation and it shows). After a few minutes the itchyness stops but it still kinda tingles... but no redness.

I've never experienced this sort of thing without the accompanying redness before. The tingle doesn't last long.. maybe ten minutes.

Logical there would be something there, as there is a lot of blade strokes.

This razor really is different from any other I've used. I'm liking it a lot!

Today was my first shave with the RR SLOC and it was a very comfortable one.
The build quality and the plating is very nice and there won't be any alignment issues with this head. My Astra SP sat tightly on the poles. The head weighs 26g (vs the 20g of the PAA DOC nickel).

The shave was very efficient. After the second pass I had almost reached BBS, but decided to go ATG for a third pass to clean up some spots. To find the right angle is very intuitive and I would characterize the whole shaving experience as "efficient, but smooth". I don't think that there is danger that this razor "bites".

It is amazing how RR manages to give you that much razor-bang for the buck. This one really is a keeper and it is what the PAA DOC (nickel) should have been in the first place.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Today was my first shave with the RR SLOC and it was a very comfortable one.
The build quality and the plating is very nice and there won't be any alignment issues with this head. My Astra SP sat tightly on the poles. The head weighs 26g (vs the 20g of the PAA DOC nickel).

The shave was very efficient. After the second pass I had almost reached BBS, but decided to go ATG for a third pass to clean up some spots. To find the right angle is very intuitive and I would characterize the whole shaving experience as "efficient, but smooth". I don't think that there is danger that this razor "bites".

It is amazing how RR manages to give you that much razor-bang for the buck. This one really is a keeper and it is what the PAA DOC (nickel) should have been in the first place.
I like your report and was wondering where you would place the aggressiveness of the SLOC mild 4 or mid5-6, I'm going to buy one when Razorback finally gets it Aftershave shipment in from Italy.

I'm tending to mid5-6, but it is hard to tell as I only had one shave with it. It is as efficient as my iKon X3 and gives the same close shave as the slant does. The iKon is a mild razor and the SLOC is a different character for sure. But it isn't a "beast" like the R41.

Ron R

I'm tending to mid5-6, but it is hard to tell as I only had one shave with it. It is as efficient as my iKon X3 and gives the same close shave as the slant does. The iKon is a mild razor and the SLOC is a different character for sure. But it isn't a "beast" like the R41.
Thanks for your opinion.

I bought the Yaqi DOC head from AliExpress before I realized that it is the same as the RR SLOC. I have mated the head with the handle that came with my RR Old Type. I have been very impressed with how it shaves: smooth and efficient. After about 5 shaves with it I got a little complacent and neglected to stretch my neck where I should have. It bit me. Hopefully that was just a fluke, because otherwise I love it.

The moral of the story is, enjoy the shaves it delivers but give this razor some respect.

I've used the SLOC exclusively in March. Still have a week to go with it. It has been very good to me.

So good, in fact, that I have been checking my soaps for skin irritation. The SLOC nor the Voskhod blades give me any irritation. I've had to bin some soaps and creams due to them causing irritation. Believe me, it is not my lathering technique.

I will probably continue with the SLOC next month, too. I'll switch from soap/cream testing to blade testing.

Radio knob handle again: now with extra grooves for better grip, hollowed out and closed up with a brass disc. Down to 47 grams. :batman:

radio1.jpg radio2.jpg

Reactions: OB1

Ron R

Radio knob handle again: now with extra grooves for better grip, hollowed out and closed up with a brass disc. Down to 47 grams. :batman:

View attachment 873698 View attachment 873699
I think you are a Machinist or have some nice friends who have a metal lather(Very nice handle), I finally ordered my SLOC with a barber pole handle because of the spiral knurling :001_tt1: candy.(this will be one of my last razors for a while:surrender::lol:)

Although the Barber Pole is not my coolest handle (I have a Maggards limited edtion handle that would pop your eyes out-- I posted pix of it in a diffeerent thread) it is definitely the "best" handle for daily use that I own.

Because it's only 3.5" long (versus 4 inches for my other steel handles) it does not feel "heavy" although it obviously does weigh quite a bit. The half inch less steel makes a handle that, for me, is nearly perfect from a balance standpoint. No matter what head I put on the Barber Pole, it feels perfect.

Add to that some really nice knurling that makes it almost impossible to drop and you have handle perfection.

Don't know how Italian Barber continues to put out such excellent products at the reasonable prices they charge but all I can say is I'm a dedicated fan. Soaps, razors, after shaves-- all first rate at a great price.

Keep up the good work, Joe!

Ron R

Don't know how Italian Barber continues to put out such excellent products at the reasonable prices they charge but all I can say is I'm a dedicated fan. Soaps, razors, after shaves-- all first rate at a great price.

Keep up the good work, Joe!
Same conclusion I came to and he sure has gotten a lot of business from me as as a Greenhorn to DE shaving at first. Very nice service from Italian barber and no where near the problems you would get from Ebay suppliers I have experienced some times. Razorock products are just great and excellent delivery times and tracking from Italian barber.

Ron R

RazorRock SLOC and 1st shave on my new virgin razor was just great. No nicks or weepers, smooth and a BBS (95%>).
A lot of the information from other forum members mentioned is accurate IMO, very nice looking and well built with some blade overhang. Razor blade is located very accurately on cap and when shaving it had equal cutting action on both sides of the blade.
Audio feed back while shaving was great and average.(love scrapping toast sound)
The aggressiveness range is around 5/10 mid range IMO -weight 98 grams(3.4 oz) with the barber pole handle, I used a Personna red blade (6) use and it had no problem chopping whiskers, the razor is difinitely a winner for a close+smooth+nick free shave with a good technique. Yup a bargin IMO!
20180411_144500_crop_617x866-jpg.875092

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mine arrived today.

RR.SLOC.640.5-18.JPG

Of course, I've not shaved with it yet, but already I'm considering the possibilities. Amazing how we all do that stuff, right?

If I acquire a Pearl OC baseplate I'm not sure if it will fit with this cap and handle, nor of what becomes of the shave? More efficient? More or less smooth? Maybe it is an entirely different design. I don't know anything much yet about the SLOC or any other DOC razor.

I'm sure other intriguing possibilities exist for the cap and baseplate. I do not have a R41 so that's out for now.

I will probably begin with a Blue Diamond or maybe a Polsilver. I've read it tames a Feather, but I'm not starting with one. Feathers always feel good to me during the shave but after the shave has been a bird singing a different song.

Happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. Ordered a Pearl OC baseplate.

Last edited:

Ron R

Mine arrived today.

View attachment 886935

Of course, I've not shaved with it yet, but already I'm considering the possibilities. Amazing how we all do that stuff, right?

If I acquire a Pearl OC baseplate I'm not sure if it will fit with this cap and handle, nor of what becomes of the shave? More efficient? More or less smooth? Maybe it is an entirely different design. I don't know anything much yet about the SLOC or any other DOC razor.

I'm sure other intriguing possibilities exist for the cap and baseplate. I do not have a R41 so that's out for now.

I will probably begin with a Blue Diamond or maybe a Polsilver. I've read it tames a Feather, but I'm not starting with one. Feathers always feel good to me during the shave but after the shave has been a bird singing a different song.

Happy shaves,

Jim

P.S. Ordered a Pearl OC baseplate.
Hello Jim, nice to see you bought a bargin, always like your reviews.
I really like the parrot singing, were do you find your constant material is amazing and entertaining.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hello Jim, nice to see you bought a bargin, always like your reviews.
I really like the parrot singing, were do you find your constant material is amazing and entertaining.

I don't know where or how I found the cute bird singing video, but that bird can carry a tune.

The RR SLOC sings right along, too. I am really enjoying shaving with it.

upload_2018-6-12_17-8-49.jpeg

I've tried it with the Pearl baseplate, and not been particularly impressed there. My next SLOC experiment will be with the R41 baseplate as I recently ordered the R41 head (for science). Wish me luck.

upload_2018-6-12_17-9-35.jpeg

I didn't think I'd like the barberpole handle. It's too heavy and too long, I thought, but I was wrong. Turns out it's just right with this razor. The combo is a jewel.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I don't know where or how I found the cute bird singing video, but that bird can carry a tune.

The RR SLOC sings right along, too. I am really enjoying shaving with it.

View attachment 890172
I've tried it with the Pearl baseplate, and not been particularly impressed there. My next SLOC experiment will be with the R41 baseplate as I recently ordered the R41 head (for science). Wish me luck.

View attachment 890173

I didn't think I'd like the barberpole handle. It's too heavy and too long, I thought, but I was wrong. Turns out it's just right with this razor. The combo is a jewel.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hello Jim, I'm thinking of buying another one(SLOC Head if possible) down the road just in case I drop or lose it travelling. I have been using 1 shim under the blade which makes it positive blade exposure from my testing for the last two shaves and results were also very good. The Nacet blade had 4 shaves previous and was showing signs of peaking so I popped a shim in to see how the blade would react and gave 95%BBS#5 shave and a DFS>bbs #6 shave . The razor is just great and I have other nice razors but the SLOC is just a pleasure to use so it gets used a lot lately.
Looks like you guys are into Frankenstein razors combo's lately by switching different razor parts around:detective::thumbsup::yikes:, you guys are a brave bunch -but you never know how those interesting Frankenstein razors could perform with some great shaves possible.
Have some great shaves!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hello Jim, I'm thinking of buying another one(SLOC Head if possible) down the road just in case I drop or lose it travelling. I have been using 1 shim under the blade which makes it positive blade exposure from my testing for the last two shaves and results were also very good. The Nacet blade had 4 shaves previous and was showing signs of peaking so I popped a shim in to see how the blade would react and gave 95%BBS#5 shave and a DFS>bbs #6 shave . The razor is just great and I have other nice razors but the SLOC is just a pleasure to use so it gets used a lot lately.
Looks like you guys are into Frankenstein razors combo's lately by switching different razor parts around:detective::thumbsup::yikes:, you guys are a brave bunch -but you never know how those interesting Frankenstein razors could perform with some great shaves possible.
Have some great shaves!

I'm thinking about the same thing. Instead, I might just buy another SLOC with a handle because I like the barberpole handle so much. Here's a link to a post about a handle issue I worked to solve this morning and evening.

Is a razor with a shim a Frankenrazor? It might be.

proxy.php

The RR SLOC is, I think, my first Zamac razor. I'd prefer brass, but I can't spring for all the great vintage razors from companies like Kirby Beard just to try them out. I can buy Zamac clones and such and try them. My next trials are the R41 and the PAA Prismatic. Lots of good Frankenrazor possibilities and such, but are they brave or stupid or crazy or what?

I also have some vintage razors to try out, but they are not favored by the collectors quite as much as the Kirby Beard and such. Watching the auctions is quite entertaining. I just need to win the lottery.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Ron R

I'm thinking about the same thing. Instead, I might just buy another SLOC with a handle because I like the barberpole handle so much. Here's a link to a post about a handle issue I worked to solve this morning and evening.

Is a razor with a shim a Frankenrazor? It might be.

proxy.php

The RR SLOC is, I think, my first Zamac razor. I'd prefer brass, but I can't spring for all the great vintage razors from companies like Kirby Beard just to try them out. I can buy Zamac clones and such and try them. My next trials are the R41 and the PAA Prismatic. Lots of good Frankenrazor possibilities and such, but are they brave or stupid or crazy or what?

Happy shaves,

Jim
Is a razor with a shim a Frankenrazor? It might be. (Start of a baby Frankenrazor:lol:?)
If your having some fun and getting a reasonable shave playing with sharp tools its OK IMO.
For those fools on the bicycles on the edge of the cliff are just fooling them selves(they had to change their underwear rumor has it), but that is human nature is sometimes living on the edge.

Top Bottom