What's new

Razorock SLOC - First Impressions

I just got one of these a week ago with the bulldog handle and have to say I'm impressed. Very mild but efficient. I've used it with both an Astra SP and a Feather with great results both times, though the Astra was every so slightly smoother (as one might expect). As mild as the razor is I think you just really need to find the sweet spot with the angle. I'm also super impressed with the tolerances - mine has absolutely no play between the blade and the cap and once tightened down alignment is perfect every time. The cap definitely retains some water and buffing problem spots on my neck was irritation free. It's hard to believe this is a $15 razor...

Italian barber is a much better bargain for the head and the SS handle combo

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
I got the head & the Bamboo handle from them, for 15 bucks + shipping. It's become one of my favorite razors; my second favorite actually, after my (Fatip) Piccolo.

Tried it out this AM for the 1st time - using a new Personna blade. Two passes with some minor touch up resulted in a DFS. Nice & efficient with a fair amount of blade feel. Not as smooth (mild) as some other razors for me - but no nicks. Next time, I'll try a 3rd pass and see what the results are like.
Should also mention that it's a very nice looking razor & works well with the bulldog handle.

Just checked the gap for my SLOC with an Astra SP using a feeler gauge, 0.010".

This reinforces what I've read in other threads. Gap is is easy to measure but probably not to useful in determining anything about a razor. A Mamba has a blade gap of 0.53mm or ~0.020" and is NOTHING like a SLOC.

Blade gap is meaningful only when combined with blade exposure, and then there is a part played by blade angle...

SLOC is in my rotation again this week. Tried using a Derby Extra blade today - not a good blade/razor match IMHO. Plan to use the SLOC for a few weeks to see if I can dial it in a bit better - at the moment I don't think it is as efficient around the jaw and under the chin as my Fendrihan MkII.

Tried a fresh SLOC this morning, design is unlike anything else I own and couldn't argue over the price.
Very impressed with a GSB and my fav can-o-foam, super smooth and efficient. Right amount of feedback without being scratchy or harsh. Felt like I'd been using it forever. Wish it was made of a material with a longer lifespan but again at that price I can afford spares. The handle seems overly heavy, no doubt to compensate for a light head. I swapped it out for a Merkur Adams handle, looked appropriate. Could easily become a daily driver. Thanks again B&B for steering me in the right direction!!

Just received a gunmetal(?) and black copy from Yaqi's Factory Store store on aliexpress. Would be good to have a well made SS copy of this head though. Even a hard AL alloy would be ok.

Thanks for the Yaqi tip to get the head alone, looks to be the same as RR and in different finishes!
Maybe in time and with enough interest, SS versions will be avail.

After using the SLOC for 4 weeks or so, I have to say that it rose in my estimation. After the first week, I was thinking that it would not make into my rotation, but with a bit of tweaking to my technique it has risen above my old reliable DE89 in terms of both efficiency and comfort.
Tried using 3 different blades - Personna reds, German Wilkies, and Derby Extras (got a packet free with the razor). The only problem was with the Derbys - one blade lasted 2 shaves, the next had to be replaced during the 1st pass of the second shave with it, and only the 3rd lasted 5 shaves or more. By comparison the Personna & Wilkie blades lasted a week with no problems (I shave daily & routinely replace blades after my Sunday shave).

Hello,

I think this is one of the most underrated razors. It keeps ending up in my rotation. In addition I use just the cap on my R41. It smooths the shave slightly without sacrificing efficiency.
I just got two Yaqi heads. The Beast and non-Mellon heads. Both are more efficient than the stock SLOC. More to come after a few shaves.

Cheers
John
8D7BB95B-EA4E-4A21-9B3A-5B3EAFE8E535.jpeg
116AFCE5-3A3F-45DC-BA70-B45B7D41A24A.jpeg
62991B1C-9126-479B-8487-B7D01143638B.jpeg

I just got one of these a week ago with the bulldog handle and have to say I'm impressed. Very mild but efficient. I've used it with both an Astra SP and a Feather with great results both times, though the Astra was every so slightly smoother (as one might expect). As mild as the razor is I think you just really need to find the sweet spot with the angle. I'm also super impressed with the tolerances - mine has absolutely no play between the blade and the cap and once tightened down alignment is perfect every time. The cap definitely retains some water and buffing problem spots on my neck was irritation free. It's hard to believe this is a $15 razor...
How was the razor with the bulldog handle? Do you still like the razor? I just ordered one just curious.

I had a RazoRock SLOC for a short while. They’re not easy to get hold of in the UK.

it was a fine razor and a nice shave but unfortunately after about 8 weeks the top 2 mm of the top cap thread sheered off in the bull dog handle.

Didnt screw up far enough to over tighten it. Had exactly the same thing happen on my German razor
Both nice razors and stupidly cheap just under 20 uk pounds here.

No more razorock razors for me. I want something to last more than a couple of months dirt cheap or not

I had a RazoRock SLOC for a short while. They’re not easy to get hold of in the UK.

it was a fine razor and a nice shave but unfortunately after about 8 weeks the top 2 mm of the top cap thread sheered off in the bull dog handle.

Didnt screw up far enough to over tighten it. Had exactly the same thing happen on my German razor

No more razorock razors for me. I want something to last more than a couple of months dirt cheap or not
Yea that should not happen. I was thinking about the paa doc or this one. But that stinks for it to already break. Did you reach out to razorock?

If your razor was a Muhle, they are supposed to have fixed that problem by using a steel post on the zamak cap.

The SLOC head is not that well constructed, but you can replace it for $5, including shipping from China.

Fatip is all brass and inexpensive. It makes you wonder why everybody else is not using brass.

Can I ask if you are still impressed with this razor? I have been trying to decide between this and the paa doc

the SLOC remains one of my two favorite razors - the other being a game changer .84
i prefer them both to my timeless, so that's saying something.

If your razor was a Muhle, they are supposed to have fixed that problem by using a steel post on the zamak cap.

The SLOC head is not that well constructed, but you can replace it for $5, including shipping from China.

Fatip is all brass and inexpensive. It makes you wonder why everybody else is not using brass.
I meant to say the other razor was a German 37 slant which broke in the same place in the same amount of time

it’s put me off razorock which I bought through a UK dealer

I was going to but the game changer but it’s put me off

currently wielding a couple of FaTips instead

thanks for the reply

Top Bottom