What's new

Razorock SLOC - First Impressions

2nd shave with this RR SLOC tonight still impressed, close, lots of feedback, no irritation. Bamboo was the lightest handle available and always wanted to try one. Did a little surgery on it by chopping the last 'internode' off to further lighten and shorten the handle. Sweet little razor for $15.

proxy.php

I opted for the RR SLOC with the Radio Knob handle. No complaints thus far. The BIC Chrome Platinum razor is working well for me. It’s a great inexpensive shaver! Currently swapping the handle with my R41. Great balance on both. Will try the RR SLOC top cap/R41 base plate combo in the near future! Cheers all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the RR SLOC to be a very deceptive razor. I have used it in its standard config with the Radio Knob handle (very good balance) and in a frankenrazor config using the R41 bottom plate. Both forms gave really nice shaves, with the R41 bottom plate being the more aggressive, and the standard form being the smoothest and most forgiving.

When I mentioned that it is a deceptive razor, what I meant is that it gives a very nice shave, but doesn't seem all that close at first. Then a couple of hours later, even 12 hours later, (I shaved last night) the face is still smooth and feels like I just shaved. I am very impressed.

I need to do some more blade experimentation to find the right blade/razor combo, but this razor may quickly replace my R41 as my go to razor. Very nice shaves and as one member stated, it's like putting the razor on auto pilot. No fuss, no worries.

2nd shave with this RR SLOC tonight still impressed, close, lots of feedback, no irritation. Bamboo was the lightest handle available and always wanted to try one. Did a little surgery on it by chopping the last 'internode' off to further lighten and shorten the handle. Sweet little razor for $15.

proxy.php

Darn, that was a great idea. :thumbsup:

I like everything about the razor, including the O.E. Bamboo Handle, which is unusual due to my generally preferring handles closer to 3". I bet it's even better after your "operation"!

Darn, that was a great idea. :thumbsup:

I like everything about the razor, including the O.E. Bamboo Handle, which is unusual due to my generally preferring handles closer to 3". I bet it's even better after your "operation"!

You sir, have good tastes in shaving accoutrements. Walk that Bamboo handle out to the garage and let it know who's boss! It works!

You sir, have good tastes in shaving accoutrements. Walk that Bamboo handle out to the garage and let it know who's boss! It works!
Sorry for the late reply here Old School, but I'm a bit blown away by how much I like the bamboo handle even in its stock length. Surprisingly, I don't find it slippery at all, and the knurls seem to have a natural fit to one's fingers.

In addition, with the somewhat high-tech look to the SLOC head, the handle gives the razor as-a-whole a nice modern look & feel to it.

I've got over a dozen razors, but find this little baby is right along with my Picollo as my favorite daily driver. Not bad for 15 bucks!

What did you use to shorten the handle? I have the SLOC with the bamboo, but didn't care for the length. I've preferred using an Edwin Jagger handle.

Just checked the gap for my SLOC with an Astra SP using a feeler gauge, 0.010".

This reinforces what I've read in other threads. Gap is is easy to measure but probably not to useful in determining anything about a razor. A Mamba has a blade gap of 0.53mm or ~0.020" and is NOTHING like a SLOC.

This reinforces what I've read in other threads. Gap is is easy to measure but probably not to useful in determining anything about a razor. A Mamba has a blade gap of 0.53mm or ~0.020" and is NOTHING like a SLOC.

You're right, but thanks for sharing the measures anyway.

I'd rate the SLOC as medium aggressive & efficient, while the PAA DOC (nickel) is very, very mild and not very efficient caused by its negative blade exposure.

Assalam o Alaikum
Thnk uuu so much dear Sir

I bought a SLOC based on reviews I've read here (and elsewhere); I found it to be an effective, efficient razor with some blade feel. I also found it to be relatively friendly, although I've only shaved once with it.

The thing that surprised me is that it shaves closer than my other razors (non-open combs except for a GEM 1912) - today's shave felt as smooth WTG as I've ever had from any razor. I'm certainly curious if I can repeat that close of a shave.

Right now, I'd say that it is well worth the price. It hopefully will turn out to be a favorite open comb, but we'll see.

I bought a SLOC based on reviews I've read here (and elsewhere); I found it to be an effective, efficient razor with some blade feel. I also found it to be relatively friendly, although I've only shaved once with it.

The thing that surprised me is that it shaves closer than my other razors (non-open combs except for a GEM 1912) - today's shave felt as smooth WTG as I've ever had from any razor. I'm certainly curious if I can repeat that close of a shave.

Right now, I'd say that it is well worth the price. It hopefully will turn out to be a favorite open comb, but we'll see.
I think you've found, what I've found: This razor is a real "sleeper". It's off-the-radar, cheap, and (I believe) proprietary through an indie vender (IB). So by its nature, it is a small volume niche item. Yet it has moved to the very top of my daily razor selection, where I alternate it with my beloved Piccolo. And that's really saying something, because I sing the praises of my Piccolo all day long to anyone that will listen.

FWIW, I like to pair my SLOC with a Feather blade. Anything less, and it loses a notch in efficiency. It's always smooth though, and gives great aural feedback. Something that (unfortunately) my Piccolo does not do; which might be it's (Piccolo's) only negative.

Top Bottom