What's new

Razorock SLOC - First Impressions

I was pressed for time yesterday, and had to use a Gillette Sensor 3 disposable, and that left wife-disapproved stubble as early as last night. That gave me a thick stubble to mow down, and I reached for my new Razorock SLOC.

I was intrigued by this razor's design. It's based on the Grand Shave King Self Lubricating Razor, the idea being that it catches lather in its teeth for a smoother shave. Since I have a habit of wetting my face for touch ups instead of applying lather, I thought this would be just the ticket.

Something troubled me, though. If it catches lather for self-lubrication, what happens when you rinse it? It didn't trouble me much, though. and I decided to use it this morning instead of finishing the week with the Ming Shi 2000S.

Quite simply, the teeth do not catch any more lather than the Merkur 15C, my previous open comb razor. No lather makes it into the cap teeth at all. What it does do is interesting: It catches water between the top teeth. The Razorock design also presents less cap area to the face, reducing resistance.

The result is that I did have a smoother, slicker, shave. No complaints about it. The razor feels mild, and the effort on my neck confirmed it. But I like the feel of it. I chose the Barber Pole handle, which adds a nice heft to it, and that's likely a contributing factor as well.

I did a three-pass shave with VDH glycerine shaving soap, plus a good bit of touch-up to get my neck smooth. Had some irritation, likely due to my habit of wetting my face for touch-ups instead of relathering, but not a great deal.

At this point, while it definitely a razor I'll keep in rotation, I don't know if it'll be my favorite. That currently belongs to the Merkur 15C, narrowly edging out the Edwin Jagger Kelvin, my previous favorite. It would also have a run for the money against the Ming Shi 2000S. That said, I don't see this one shoved to the back of the medicine cabinet.

M

Member 113878

Just got mine, also with Barber Pole handle, from Italian Barber a few minutes ago.
Will try it tomorrow morning.

I believe the RR SLOC has the same razor head as the Yaqi DOC (Double Open Comb) that I acquired recently. I have used it for the last 10 days straight and it has already earned a spot in my top tier of razors. Mine is paired with the stainless steel handle that came with my RR Old Type. I am quite happy with the way it performs.

M

Member 113878

Wow, this is the smoothest open comb I've tried until now!
Great close shave, very smooth, this is a keeper!
The head is quite light, and I was wondering if the Barber Pole handle would be unbalanced, but that's not the case!
Feels great in the hand as well.

I just received and shaved with mine yesterday. Very comfortable shave and fairly efficient. It was a good shave, but could have been a little better. I was using a Derby on it's third use, so that could have been the reason. I'm going to try this with a feather next and see bumps it up a bit.

One of the most comfortable shaves I've had in quite some time though. Very nice on that front.

If these are still available in 2019....I’m in the 18 sabbatical....I might pick one up. I’m currently using a RR Old Type and am impressed.

The head is now available in matte black too.

s-l500.jpg

I have a head from Yaqi, same razor, and not bad. They are blade sensitive, and the blade makes or breaks the shave. PolSilver a few weeks back did well, the Nacet over the weekend was horribly rough, swapped in a KAI and really nice finish to the shave.

Not quite as smooth or efficient as the Schone, but pretty good.

For me, I've not had good luck with this head. First one had bad threads kept trying to cross thread and eventually did just mangled threads tried several handles to pair it with everyone same result of trying to cross thread. so I got a second head, threads still look to small and fragile feels weak. not a big knock against RR still love them can't wait till the Game changer comes out.
This is a CHEAP head and it feels like one. other than looking cool its not worth it. atleast I got a decent handle!

For me, I've not had good luck with this head. First one had bad threads kept trying to cross thread and eventually did just mangled threads tried several handles to pair it with everyone same result of trying to cross thread. so I got a second head, threads still look to small and fragile feels weak. not a big knock against RR still love them can't wait till the Game changer comes out.
This is a CHEAP head and it feels like one. other than looking cool its not worth it. atleast I got a decent handle!
Fair observation about the threads but I find the cap a very handy and effective companion with a lot of the old type style bottom plates in my collection. Plus at $4.50 for the Yaqi, well I'm not complaining at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
RazorRock SLOC and 1st shave on my new virgin razor was just great. No nicks or weepers, smooth and a BBS (95%>).
A lot of the information from other forum members mentioned is accurate IMO, very nice looking and well built with some blade overhang. Razor blade is located very accurately on cap and when shaving it had equal cutting action on both sides of the blade.
Audio feed back while shaving was great and average.(love scrapping toast sound)
The aggressiveness range is around 5/10 mid range IMO -weight 98 grams(3.4 oz) with the barber pole handle, I used a Personna red blade (6) use and it had no problem chopping whiskers, the razor is difinitely a winner for a close+smooth+nick free shave with a good technique. Yup a bargin IMO!
20180411_144500_crop_617x866-jpg.875092

I now own 2. The Razorock SLOC on a radio knob handle and I also bought the Yaqi head from ali express strictly for frankenrazor purposes. I really like the shave from the Yaqi cap on a Pearl OC baseplate.

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk

I now own 2. The Razorock SLOC on a radio knob handle and I also bought the Yaqi head from ali express strictly for frankenrazor purposes. I really like the shave from the Yaqi cap on a Pearl OC baseplate.

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk
Yep, I agree.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I till wonder which handle would fit the gunmetal head best?

Her are some pics of the original Speedway from the 1930 followed by pics of the comparison of the PAA DOC with the RR SLOC.

s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-6.jpg

Top Bottom