What's new

Razorock SLOC - First Impressions

?
I meant to say the other razor was a German 37 slant which broke in the same place in the same amount of time

it’s put me off razorock which I bought through a UK dealer

I was going to but the game changer but it’s put me off

currently wielding a couple of FaTips instead

thanks for the reply

You know the game changer is all 316 stainless right? And it's as well made as any razor out there. It's very unlikely to break.

Thanks for the reply

I suppose I was expressing my concern about the game changers build quality and price compared to my earlier experiences with my other two razors.

Don’t get me wrong I think the SLOC and the German 37 slant are razors everyone should try once. They’re both excellent

I posted my replies because the build quality was disappointing but it doesn’t seem many if anybody else has had the same problem

I was pressed for time yesterday, and had to use a Gillette Sensor 3 disposable, and that left wife-disapproved stubble as early as last night. That gave me a thick stubble to mow down, and I reached for my new Razorock SLOC.

I was intrigued by this razor's design. It's based on the Grand Shave King Self Lubricating Razor, the idea being that it catches lather in its teeth for a smoother shave. Since I have a habit of wetting my face for touch ups instead of applying lather, I thought this would be just the ticket.

Something troubled me, though. If it catches lather for self-lubrication, what happens when you rinse it? It didn't trouble me much, though. and I decided to use it this morning instead of finishing the week with the Ming Shi 2000S.

Quite simply, the teeth do not catch any more lather than the Merkur 15C, my previous open comb razor. No lather makes it into the cap teeth at all. What it does do is interesting: It catches water between the top teeth. The Razorock design also presents less cap area to the face, reducing resistance.

The result is that I did have a smoother, slicker, shave. No complaints about it. The razor feels mild, and the effort on my neck confirmed it. But I like the feel of it. I chose the Barber Pole handle, which adds a nice heft to it, and that's likely a contributing factor as well.

I did a three-pass shave with VDH glycerine shaving soap, plus a good bit of touch-up to get my neck smooth. Had some irritation, likely due to my habit of wetting my face for touch-ups instead of relathering, but not a great deal.

At this point, while it definitely a razor I'll keep in rotation, I don't know if it'll be my favorite. That currently belongs to the Merkur 15C, narrowly edging out the Edwin Jagger Kelvin, my previous favorite. It would also have a run for the money against the Ming Shi 2000S. That said, I don't see this one shoved to the back of the medicine cabinet.
Do you still like the sloc? Where is it at in your rotation now?

My Yaqi Mellon head razor (equivalent to the Razorock SLOC) is in my weekly razor rotation but with a plastic homemade shim (0.3mm thick) underneath the blade, to up the efficiency. -It now gives me a carefree close shave comparable to my R41 without the risk of shedding blood. Truly a great designed razor

Do you still like the sloc? Where is it at in your rotation now?

Yes. It's one of my favorite DE razors, possibly my top favorite open comb razor. Where it is in rotation is a matter of whim. Haven't used it in a little while only because I wanted to revisit other DE razors. So far that's been the Gillette Slim, Gillette Tech, VDH TTO (looks like a Weishi), and this week my EJ Kelvin. I prefer SE these days, but have a supply of DE blades I'm working through.

I like the SLOC so much that when I learned RazoRock has a CNC version, I almost bought it. The only reason I didn't is I didn't know about the aluminum head, and I'm pleased with the SLOC I have.

Yes. It's one of my favorite DE razors, possibly my top favorite open comb razor. Where it is in rotation is a matter of whim. Haven't used it in a little while only because I wanted to revisit other DE razors. So far that's been the Gillette Slim, Gillette Tech, VDH TTO (looks like a Weishi), and this week my EJ Kelvin. I prefer SE these days, but have a supply of DE blades I'm working through.

I like the SLOC so much that when I learned RazoRock has a CNC version, I almost bought it. The only reason I didn't is I didn't know about the aluminum head, and I'm pleased with the SLOC I have.
Wow, I wanted to see if it stood the test of time. Has the quality held up, no issues?

Wow, I wanted to see if it stood the test of time. Has the quality held up, no issues?

For me it has, but it's a huge YMMV. The head is chrome plated zamak, as are nearly all my modern DE razors. So far, no problems with any of them, but that doesn't mean problems aren't possible. One thing the SLOC has going for it is that it's cheap, so if problem do develop, no one's out a huge chunk of change.

They are so cheap, just buy two so you have a spare. My Yaqi Mellon heads cost $5 each with shipping included! I think the quality is fine. One thing that is really good is it positions the blade very precisely. You can even use the Mellon cap on other razors to improve them if they don't align the blade very well.

My Yaqi Mellon head razor (equivalent to the Razorock SLOC) is in my weekly razor rotation but with a plastic homemade shim (0.3mm thick) underneath the blade, to up the efficiency. -It now gives me a carefree close shave comparable to my R41 without the risk of shedding blood. Truly a great designed razor
Is there an everyday material one might have on hand that would be suitable for making a 0.3mm thick shim? A plastic ID card, something like that?

Top Bottom