What's new

Razorock Lupo .95 Open Comb

The RazoRock JAWS 0.84 works better for me than my Fatip Grande. I think my zamack head RazoRock “German” 37 slant razor works better than both, but I like the comb of the JAWS so much (not as luxurious as a Fatip comb, but still pleasant and very easy on the eyes).

I bought a razor more expensive than a RazoRock Lupo 0.95OC (got a great deal on it here, but it’s more than twice the cost of any RazoRock Lupo at retail) and it didn’t stand up to the Fatip Grande for my skills, so it was a disappointment with the potential to wow me in a distant future maybe.

If @Billy T. and @htownmmm both enjoy the JAWS 0.84 more than the Lupo 0.95SB and @htownmmm enjoys the Lupo 0.95OC more than the JAWS 0.84, then there are possibilities that you might also enjoy the RazoRock Lupo 0.95OC more than your Fatip razors.

Whether you’ll enjoy it enough to feel it’s worth the extra cost is unknown.

If I haven’t dropped enough names, @SCh5 used to use high-end razors from Portugal and USA that cost all the € and now has a RazoRock Lupo 0.95B and RazoRock Game Changer 0.84OC in their place.
I have the 95sb and the 84 oc. I prefer the 95 sb but i can get a nick if I am not careful. Both are good.

I just shaved with the razorock 0.95 sb. I don't have the 0.95 open comb. The 0.95 sb gave a very close, comfortable, and efficient shave. this is supposed to be razorock's most aggressive or 2nd most aggressive razor after the newly released lupo 0.95 open comb? it does not feel too aggressive to me, but it cuts very close and very efficiently. The razorock jaws which I also have seems more harsh than the 0.95 standard bar and the 0.95 sb is supposed to more aggressive than the razorock jaws 0.84 based on razorock's aggressive chart?

My 95OC and 58 showed up today. The 58 felt like my old slim or NEW Short Comb, very smooth. I Like the 72 better, and the 95SB better than the 72. In fact, the 95SB is my favorite razor.

Then I ran the 95OC across the other side of my face. Wow. WOW! Smooth. Efficient. Close shave. No nicks/weepers/touch-ups. Good-bye 95SB, you're in the drawer. for a while at least.

and I might be selling my entire game changer collection now?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My 95OC and 58 showed up today. The 58 felt like my old slim or NEW Short Comb, very smooth. I Like the 72 better, and the 95SB better than the 72. In fact, the 95SB is my favorite razor.

Then I ran the 95OC across the other side of my face. Wow. WOW! Smooth. Efficient. Close shave. No nicks/weepers/touch-ups. Good-bye 95SB, you're in the drawer. for a while at least.

and I might be selling my entire game changer collection now?

It's an eye opener. I really do like the .84 OC GC though. I'm not getting rid of that razor. Like you...I'm shelving the .95 SB Lupo. No point in using that again after experiencing the OC version.

Time for the direct comparison between the Lupo 95 OC and it's older sibling the Game Changer 84 OC.

Same procedure as last time, half of my face for each razor using the same blade. This time I took the effort to ensure that I only used one edge of the blade on each side, so that both sides started with a completely fresh blade.

20220628_030139.jpg

Used the barber pole handle on both razors. My Wee Scot delivered a perfect lather of the SV Tundra Artica, and I once again loaded a fresh Wizamet Super Iridium. Finished the shave with the Captain's Choice Bay Rum.

During the shave itself, I would be hard pressed to call out any notable differences in the feel of the two shaves. Both outstanding shavers.

In the quality of the finished result, the Lupo takes a very very narrow lead. The GC simply left a little behind that the Lupo didn't.

I'm not ready to say anything drastic like "I'm selling my GC collection" or anything, but I'm prepared to admit that the Lupo 95 OC is probably good enough to inspire such reactions.

Time for the direct comparison between the Lupo 95 OC and it's older sibling the Game Changer 84 OC.

Same procedure as last time, half of my face for each razor using the same blade. This time I took the effort to ensure that I only used one edge of the blade on each side, so that both sides started with a completely fresh blade.

View attachment 1479497

Used the barber pole handle on both razors. My Wee Scot delivered a perfect lather of the SV Tundra Artica, and I once again loaded a fresh Wizamet Super Iridium. Finished the shave with the Captain's Choice Bay Rum.

During the shave itself, I would be hard pressed to call out any notable differences in the feel of the two shaves. Both outstanding shavers.

In the quality of the finished result, the Lupo takes a very very narrow lead. The GC simply left a little behind that the Lupo didn't.

I'm not ready to say anything drastic like "I'm selling my GC collection" or anything, but I'm prepared to admit that the Lupo 95 OC is probably good enough to inspire such reactions.
Nice review, thank you for the taking the time for sharing your thoughts. It's interesting to see we are having comparable results (I refer to post #84).

Happy shaves!

I just had one of the best shaves in 2022 with the 95Oc. It seems as my technique gets better and learning the 95 Oc , the razor is smoother and more efficient. I now also think its smoother then the 95 Sb.
2D98AF4E-D594-461B-A537-2B23FF88A7C7.jpeg

I’m in awe struck! And to think that I was about to put it up on BST. This razor delivers as good shave as $300+ razors, believe that.

The key to this razor, FOR Me, is to use a light touch and combine it with a smooth sharp blade (Permasharp or Gillette Black), and add a Titanium handle to the razor. The most challenging pass is across the grain around mouth/mustache area due to the blade exposure. I think I got it down.

And for the Gamechangers, the Lupo 95 Oc runs circles around them, there’s no comparison. Efficient without the cost of smoothness. Cuts way more hair per pass — leading to less strokes, leading to BBS, which leads to no cuts, weepers or irritation to speak of. My .02cents, YmMv

This razor is such a joy to use! I recommend it to everyone reading this.

Last edited:
I am trying to decide if I wanna get the 0.95 open comb. I currently have the lupo 0.95 sb, razorock jaws 0.84, and the razorock lupo DUAL COMB. I used my razorock 0.95 sb last night and got a real close, efficient, and comfortable shave. for those that have both the 0.95 sb and 0.95 open comb, how much more aggressive is the open comb over the sb? is the 0.95 open comb as smooth as the 0.95 sb?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am trying to decide if I wanna get the 0.95 open comb.
I have every RazoRock you mentioned. I wasn't a huge fan of the Lupo DC, liked the GC .84 OC more. But they are all very good, definitely.

The thing is, as many already stated, the Lupo .95 OC makes them all look second choice. I never liked the .95 SB side of the Lupo DC as much as the Lupo .95 OC. For me it is RazoRock's best razor, maybe even better than the Wunderbar which I like very much, too.

Read some reports of people who bought it, I didn't expect much of an upgrade. JAHE found only a not so major difference to the .95 SB, but for me and as you can read quite some others the .95 OC is a level above the others.

Which is hard to explain. Why, actually? The whole thread here is trying to answer this, but mostly people report just how much they liked it. 😀

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I am trying to decide if I wanna get the 0.95 open comb. I currently have the lupo 0.95 sb, razorock jaws 0.84, and the razorock lupo DUAL COMB. I used my razorock 0.95 sb last night and got a real close, efficient, and comfortable shave. for those that have both the 0.95 sb and 0.95 open comb, how much more aggressive is the open comb over the sb? is the 0.95 open comb as smooth as the 0.95 sb?

For me, the OC was smoother than the SB. The SB .95 didn't feel as good as the SB .72. The .72 SB I'll continue to use, but with the OC .95 in the stable, the SB .95 won't get used anymore.

Last edited:
The 0.95 sb gave a very close, comfortable, and efficient shave.

it does not feel too aggressive to me, but it cuts very close and very efficiently.

The razorock jaws which I also have seems more harsh than the 0.95 standard bar
I agree with your findings re: SB .95 in general and the comparision of .84 JAWS with Lupo SB .95.

IMO both the SB and the OC variant of Lupo. 95 are not aggressive (both don't tend to bite (me) out of the nothing).

IMO, they are both in the same ballpark in terms of efficiency (perhaps the OC shaves a tad closer, so perhaps the OC is more efficient. By a margain!).

Anyway, the core difference between these two baseplates is the level of blade feel you get with them. If you aren't averse against blade feel, go with the OC .95. She's a great shaver.

Perhaps the Lupo .95 OC will replace your .84 Jaws, which I found harsh way too often, too. That’s why I finally sold my .84 JAWS a couple of months ago.
There is no such thing like harshness with the Lupo .95 OC (and SB).
Is the 0.95 open comb as smooth as the 0.95 sb?
I'd say no - as long as you compare them directly, for me the SB shaves smoother (for the lack of blade feel alone).

However, the .95 OC still is a very smooth shaver given the fact she is (a) a high gapped (b) open comb razor.

Don't get distracted by the Razorock charts. They are just a vage guideline.

Happy shaves!

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Can anyone say How the 0.95 oc is compared to the R-41 and to The Wunderbar efficiency wise?
The R41 can get even a bit closer, but is a lot more difficult to use and can cut. Cleaning up with the R41 under the nose is demanding e.g., one has to be careful. It gives a skin feeling like marble, though. The Lupo can get very close, with lesser risk and its very easy to have no irritation at all. In problem spots the Lupo has advantages due to easier and more forgiving handling.

The Wunderbar is giving me a wonderfully close shave, but little feedback when cutting. It can bite, and due to lack of feedback my "feedback" is usually bad news. It's a characteristic of the Wunderbar that I don't like.
Efficiency is very high, it isn't quite R41, not THAT glassy/marble skin.

So, is the Lupo .95 OC or Wunderbar more efficient? Hrmpf, dunno. Both give extremely good shaves. I would have to do another side by side and I haven't even done the .95 SB and .95 OC thing yet! :)

The thing is, these three shave very differently, all three have a very different character.
The R41 teaches shaving with hard knocks, the Wunderbar is silent and gives little feedback (I know some report extreme blade feel, I don't and dare to say, their angle is off! It cuts super smooth, almost imperceptible for me), the Lupo is also quite an aggressive razor, but very well behaved and the easiest of the three to get into.

Top Bottom