What's new

RazoRock Hawk

My use average for the last few years is: DE- 3-5 shaves (least has been 2, most has been 10), SE AC blades 6-8 (least has been 5, most has been 11), SE injector 9-10, (least has been 5 most has been 14), SE Gem 6-8 (least has been 3 on a carbon, most has been 11). I have the average grizzly beard of a 67 year-old.

@beepee1972- Feather Super Pros will work in a Hawk- the maker says: "FEATHER Professional Super Blades will also work but make the razor very aggressive and I would not recommend them. FEATHER Professional LIGHT blades will not work in the Hawk."

FYI- Feather DE blades spec is .1 mm thick, Feather Pro Lights are 7.4 mm in Height.

The Feather Pro Super specs are:

Blade Thickness
0.31 mm
Blade Length
50mm
Blade Height
8.2 mm
The Feather Pro specs are:
Blade Thickness
0.254 mm
Blade Length
50mm
Blade Height
8 mm
Info from the Jatai International site, a Feather dealer, accessed 5/20/2021.

Just had my first shave with the silver V2 today, this is my first SE ever* . I can compare it to my one and only DE, the Rockwell 6S and to a shavette I have very seldom used.
When I try a new razor or blade, I make sure at least part of my face is not shaved for at least 5 days. Today I had a 7 day moustache and chin, the rest of my face was pretty clean. I used a Feather Professional blade with the Hawk for most of my face and the Rockwell with a Tiger Platinum for one tiny patch, for control.
I was surprised such a light razor can give me DFS+ in one pass. Comparable to Rockwell R4. Like the DE, incomparably faster than the shavette. I have less trouble shaving under the nose with the SE vs the DE.
On the down side, the shave was rough (except the region I shaved with the Rockwell). I have several weepers, some discomfort on my upper lip. Will try to shave around my mouth with the Hawk as long as the blade lasts and see whether this improves. I will stick to my DE for the rest of my face though.

*but I don't intend to buy more SEs. Might consider a pivoting head razor using DE/SEs or some other kind of safety razor in the future.

Just had my first shave with the silver V2 today, this is my first SE ever* . I can compare it to my one and only DE, the Rockwell 6S and to a shavette I have very seldom used.
When I try a new razor or blade, I make sure at least part of my face is not shaved for at least 5 days. Today I had a 7 day moustache and chin, the rest of my face was pretty clean. I used a Feather Professional blade with the Hawk for most of my face and the Rockwell with a Tiger Platinum for one tiny patch, for control.
I was surprised such a light razor can give me DFS+ in one pass. Comparable to Rockwell R4. Like the DE, incomparably faster than the shavette. I have less trouble shaving under the nose with the SE vs the DE.
On the down side, the shave was rough (except the region I shaved with the Rockwell). I have several weepers, some discomfort on my upper lip. Will try to shave around my mouth with the Hawk as long as the blade lasts and see whether this improves. I will stick to my DE for the rest of my face though.

*but I don't intend to buy more SEs. Might consider a pivoting head razor using DE/SEs or some other kind of safety razor in the future.

Welcome to SE shaving! Looks like you might have had a bit of trouble finding the optimal angle. SEs shave at a more shallow angle with less pressure than DEs and I found it took about a dozen shaves to really get the hang of it. You should find that your shaves really improve in the next little while once you refine your technique, and you might want to try the Kai blades since most find that they provide a more comfortable shave than the Feathers.

Enjoy your shaves!

It’ll probably take a few shaves with the Hawk V2 SE to get used to it. Very light touch, shaves the lather not your skin and the whiskers magically fall off. You have 2 really nice razors, good luck and enjoy.

Can only confirm what the others already said about the v2: light touch and no pressure. No discomfort at all in my case with a Feather Pro blade.

Finally got around to my second shave on the V3 and was even more impressed than the first. Nearly a BBS on only two passes so that's definitely a good sign. Silky smooth glide with the angle I was using. Now my Lupo .72 has competition as the best razor in my collection.

I was reluctant to get this at first because I wasn't sure about how an AC blade would work but this style of SE is probably the best style of razor out there.

I think I found the trick: instead of grabbing the SE the same way I do my DE (handle rests on my pinky), I take the razor between my index and middle finger. No pressure doesn't work though, because then the SE gets stuck on my beard - I attribute this to the low weight of the razor. Or maybe my long beard was too much for the blade and I need a new one?

I think I found the trick: instead of grabbing the SE the same way I do my DE (handle rests on my pinky), I take the razor between my index and middle finger. No pressure doesn't work though, because then the SE gets stuck on my beard - I attribute this to the low weight of the razor. Or maybe my long beard was too much for the blade and I need a new one?

For long beards, the first pass is going to be a bit of a slog for any razor except for slants and straights. My recommendation is to lather a lot more and rinse a lot more. You might have to apply a bit of pressure to get under the beard but I think the OC plate would work much better than the SB plates if you have a week or more of growth.

Hello all.

Question about models.

I have been enjoying my alum Blackhawk. But am now considering the stainless V3 Hawk.

At Italian Barber I see they have them in Standard, and more aggressive is an Open Comb and the most aggressive is the Hawk A.

I like Open Combs generally. But does anybody know how their aggression compares to my current Blackhawk?

Using a Blackhawk with a Feather pro blade was, I found, plenty efficient already.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I have a BlackHawk V2 and a Hawk V3OC. Same Schick Proline P-Series blade in the open comb has more exposure for shaving steeper or shallower with more ease than the V2. Weighs more and costs more, too.

It’s both easier for me to get a better shave and to screw up and nick or scrape my face using the V3. I get both closer and less damaging shaves using the steeper angle as I’m an unskilled at shaving.

While I’m sure we’re all outliers here, I’ve never read of anyone getting a closer shave with the A plate as compared to the standard or the open comb. I have read the standard plate V3 tames the razor more than the open comb plate.

I have the Hawk V3 SB, and I find close to a Mary Poppins razor for me
I had that reaction to the V3OC, too. I like OC razors but I now have another criterion to meet: comb teeth spaced fairly close. I find the V3SB gives me wonderful shaves.

I don't seem to have trouble with OC razors with lots of teeth. The PAA Starling V2OC was my first OC, and every other OC razor I've picked up since was just fine that way. I think I'd really like the Hawk V3OC if it had two more teeth on the comb.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
While I’m sure we’re all outliers here, I’ve never read of anyone getting a closer shave with the A plate as compared to the standard or the open comb. I have read the standard plate V3 tames the razor more than the open comb plate.

It was an early pandemic purchase for me. They'd just come out and I was in the mood to try some different AC safety razors and see if I could find one I liked. So I bought one of each, when "each" was just the two SB and OC. In the end, I sold off the OC head and kept the SB head. It's a lovely smooth shaver for me, almost as close and comfy as the ATT X1.

O.H.

Top Bottom