What's new

Yaqi Tachi and DScosmetics SE

I really want to find a stainless steel SE razor that uses DE half-blades. Today I ordered two heads from Aliexpress: a Yaqi Tachi and a DSC Mars SE.

Anyone used either of these? I know that opinions are just that, and very subjective, but still would like to hear your thoughts.

I've used the aluminum Razorock Hawk Eco with pretty good results, and I know it is an extreme longshot that anyone has use the Hawk and either (or both) of these other two, but if you have, I'd love to hear about it.

LOL Are you me ?!?!?
I ordered both with the recent 11/11 sales thing going on.
Commenting to watch this thread.

I currently have both the Robin Snap v2.0 (aluminum) and the Shield Stomper (titanium), I like both of those for half DE format, but I use them for head shaves not face shaves. Face shaves they're a little too "efficient" aka aggressive for me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Anyone used either of these? I know that opinions are just that, and very subjective, but still would like to hear your thoughts.
I would watch "Subie shaves" on youtube, Yaqi sends him all kinds of new Yaqi products and he head shaves and tells a person what he thinks about the product as he head shaves or face shaves. He has a video on the Tachi and he puts it through its paces.

LOL Are you me ?!?!?
I ordered both with the recent 11/11 sales thing going on.
Commenting to watch this thread.

I currently have both the Robin Snap v2.0 (aluminum) and the Shield Stomper (titanium), I like both of those for half DE format, but I use them for head shaves not face shaves. Face shaves they're a little too "efficient" aka aggressive for me.

Head shaves?

Me too. That is the target for these two as well. 😄

I've got a Vector that has never been used on my face, so yeah, for me SE = head razor.

I would watch "Subie shaves" on youtube, Yaqi sends him all kinds of new Yaqi products and he head shaves and tells a person what he thinks about the product as he head shaves or face shaves. He has a video on the Tachi and he puts it through its paces.

Yep, saw some of the vids...thank you. 🙂👍

Have both on the way as well, as well as used Sabre. I like GEM razors. But looking for something to keep at work hoping one of the tachi or dsc SE fits that bill. If not I will just keep my MMBT at work and be happy w that.

Have both on the way as well, as well as used Sabre. I like GEM razors. But looking for something to keep at work hoping one of the tachi or dsc SE fits that bill. If not I will just keep my MMBT at work and be happy w that.

MMBT?

i only have one modern GEM razor...a Shield Predator...and it shaves great. I've only used it for head shaves and the results rival the shaves I get from my Vector. Very nice, efficient enough and well behaved.

Tachi has a bit of blade chatter on the head shaves, no blood or nicks though. It shaves close, no going over and over trying to buff spots down to the scalp. I guess you call that efficient ? I like the Shield Stomper and Robin Snap v2 a bit better from the perspective of the lower amount of blade chatter (blade clamping maybe?). The finish on the Tachi is nice though, very shiny :001_rolle

I received my Mars but didn't use it yet. Currently doing head shaves with the Drakkant + plate. I'll swing back around to the Tachi to make sure it's not me/technique.

Tachi has a bit of blade chatter on the head shaves, no blood or nicks though. It shaves close, no going over and over trying to buff spots down to the scalp. I guess you call that efficient ? I like the Shield Stomper and Robin Snap v2 a bit better from the perspective of the lower amount of blade chatter (blade clamping maybe?). The finish on the Tachi is nice though, very shiny :001_rolle

I received my Mars but didn't use it yet. Currently doing head shaves with the Drakkant + plate. I'll swing back around to the Tachi to make sure it's not me/technique.

Thanks for the update. 🙂👍

2nd head shave with the Tachi done. Bit of chatter when going against the grain but varying the angle slightly can reduce it, and I still feel like it is more aggressive than the Stomper and the Robin Snap v2.0....

2nd head shave with the Tachi done. Bit of chatter when going against the grain but varying the angle slightly can reduce it, and I still feel like it is more aggressive than the Stomper and the Robin Snap v2.0....

My Tachi and DSC should be here today. I'm not sure which to use for today's head shave. I might try both.

Got em today. Yaqi Tachi (L, on a polished Stando handle), and DSCosmetics Mars SE (R, on Razorock halo UFO). Both are very nicely machined and polished...shaving jewelry.

Screenshot_20231206_210026_Gallery.jpg

I loaded a fresh Shark SS saloon blade into each razor and attached my Vector handle to the Mars head, which is similar to the Stando handle in weight and length. I immediately noticed the difference in blade exposure. I could barely see the blade edge peeking out from under the cap of the Mars, while the Tachi exposed what looks like several millimeters of blade. I didn't assume anything at this point figuring that mere looks could be deceiving.

After lathered my noggin with Razorock xXx, I began my usual first pass, using each razor for half my head, and immediately noticed that the Tachi would require much stricter attention than the Mars, which felt much milder with zero blade feel.

After the first pass and rinse, both sides felt about equal and as expected: stubble reduced but more work to be done for my usual BBS cue ball.

Pass two, primarily ATG revealed the true nature and differences of the two razors. The Mars passed easily OVER much of the remaining stubble, struggling to remove the whiskers at scalp level, while the more efficient Tachi eagerly removed the stubble to yield a BBS result.

My early impression:

The DSC Mars SE seems much milder than the Tachi, almost too mild, and struggles to shave closely, even (especially?) ATG. I attempted several ATG passes on some stubborn areas with the Mars and couldn't get those areas perfectly smooth.

The Tachi is noticeably more efficient. I went over those same areas ATG with the Tachi and it whisked away all traces or stubble that the Mars left behind.

The cost of the added efficiency with the Tachi is more noticeable blade feel and aggression which seems ready to pounce on any lapse in attention.

To be clear, I was rewarded with a BBS head shave (and one minor nick, early in the first pass) by finishing with the Tachi, every bit a smooth as my Vector. The difference is: I never fear that the Vector will turn on me. Not so with the Tachi...it is a great head shaver but commands attention.

I'm not done with Mars, and will try it again to experiment with shave angle, and even a face shave, but first impression is an easy win for the Tachi.

For me, my experience was similar to yours with the Tachi. You conveyed the experience with the Tachi better than I did :biggrin:
me: "more aggressive" haha

I've yet to try the Mars still. FWIW the Stomper and Robin Snap v2 do not have the same feel as the Tachi, I'd put it Snap then Stomper then Tachi for that "aggressive" feeling. I used the Stomper for face shaves and it's a bit too aggressive for me, I'm not going to try the Tachi at all, it's strictly in the head shave rotation.

Tried the DSC Mars today with a fresh Shark SS Saloon blade for a face shave.

First pass WTG on my two-day beard (my norm) was ok, and reduced the stubble, as expected.

Second pass XTG gave some audible feedback, but didn't seem to shave as close as any of my mild DE razors (Techs, RR 68P, Timeless 68SCL). When I rinsed I could still feel a lot of stubble on my cheeks down at my chin...more than normal for my usual second pass.

Third pass, ATG was uncomfortable on my neck and didn't seem to remove any more stubble from my neck or cheeks. I threw in the towel and finished with my GC 76P for a DFS+ shave.

The razor seems extremely mild, and I'm troubled by the tugging and discomfort going ATG, especially on my neck. Normally, I don't consider the blade when my shave is sub-par, but maybe the Mars is blade sensitive. I've never had to do this with any other razor, but I'm going to try some different blades and see if the result improves.

For me, my experience was similar to yours with the Tachi. You conveyed the experience with the Tachi better than I did :biggrin:
me: "more aggressive" haha

I've yet to try the Mars still. FWIW the Stomper and Robin Snap v2 do not have the same feel as the Tachi, I'd put it Snap then Stomper then Tachi for that "aggressive" feeling. I used the Stomper for face shaves and it's a bit too aggressive for me, I'm not going to try the Tachi at all, it's strictly in the head shave rotation.

Yeah, I would compare the Tachi with my Razorock ECO in terms of the shave. I've found that one gives pretty great head shaves, but it still requires more care than my Vector or Predator.

The Vector and Predator are autopilot razors for me.

Very curious to hear your results with the Mars.

What blades are you using?

I was wondering are you using the Proguard or Protouch guarded blades in those razors when head shaving?

With the Vector I use both Feather and Kai guarded blades for my head shaves. They are mild but still very efficient and either will get me BBS results. So, I haven't had any reason to switch to un-guarded blades, even though those are less expensive. I'm sticking with what currently works.

With the Predator I'm using Personna GEM PTFE blades and get a superb shave, every bit as smooth as the Vector.

Tachi was with a Perma-Sharp SE and a Derby Premium SE , both of the blades are 1/2 blades cut by the factory.

I used the MARS for the late afternoon head shave today, with one half of an Astra Superior Stainless blade that I snapped in half. Feels gentler than the Tachi, more like the Stomper and Snap-v2. The Tachi definitely shaved "closer", but I didn't fear the MARS while using it :biggrin:

Top Bottom