What's new

Yaqi Tachi and DScosmetics SE

I should probably shave with the Tachi first before answering, but I have some ideas already.

1. If someone uses a DE blade only once. With the SE head and a half blade you waste only half a blade. Some do that, though it might have been of advantage for the nowadays rare barber shops.
2. Shaving angle and center of gravity are different, leading to a lightweight and very different kind of shave. This is what I figured out when using the Romulus SE, which uses AC blades
(3. AC blades are not just longer, they are thicker, stronger, imo better blades that also work for wiry hairy and are simply a step up from good but cheap DE blades. This is in brackets as it doesn't apply to half-DE-blades.)
4. Small and narrow razor heads might be to your liking. This might be more attractive for body shavers, maybe head shavers as well, for me its just speculation, I don't shave legs and head. And my wife uses a totally terrible TTO for legshaving, only to torture me.
5. Style, preference?

6. In conclusion, no truly significant advantage to using a DE razor. With half blades.
but 7. SE razors using AC blades might just add that bit of firm blade that one can only get with a DE blade after a lot of twisting and clamping.

On the other side, that the Tachi uses cheap DE blades is also an advantage...

Goblin's question makes me wonder why the first DE half-blade SE razors were designed... I think it is because point 1, the Turkish "Sedef" shavette type of razor was invented to use disposable half DE blades after using the same blade because of health concerns over using the same straight razor on customers repeatedly.
I asked one of the AIs (Bard) where half DE razors came from:

Determining the very first razor design using half a double-edge blade is challenging due to the following factors:
  • Limited Documentation: Information about early iterations of niche shaving tools can be scattered or unavailable, making definitive historical accounts scarce.
  • Independent Inventors: It's possible that the concept of using half blades may have emerged from multiple independent creators rather than a single definitive source.
  • Prototype vs. Production Models: Some inventors might have created prototypes using half blades, but these might not have transitioned into full-fledged production models, further blurring the historical timeline.
However, I can share some insights into known instances of half-blade razors:
  • Modern Era: In recent years, a few companies have commercially produced razors designed specifically for half-blade use, like the "SHaDE Razor" you mentioned.
  • DIY Modifications: Some wet shaving enthusiasts adapt existing double-edge razors to use half blades through various modifications, but this practice isn't widespread or officially endorsed by most razor manufacturers.
  • Historical Traces: There are anecdotal mentions of historical shaving tools that might have incorporated half blades, but specific details and verifiable evidence are often missing.
Therefore, attributing the "first" use of half-blade design remains difficult without concrete historical documentation.

Instead of focusing on the origins, it might be more helpful to explore the reasons behind such designs:

Cost Efficiency: Some theorize that using half blades could potentially reduce shaving costs, although the actual savings might be minimal considering the reduced blade life.
  • Weight and Balance: Certain razor designs using half blades could aim for lighter overall weight or achieve a specific balance point.
  • Niche Shaving Techniques: Some niche shaving enthusiasts might experiment with half blades for specific shaving experiences or to customize their shave further.
Ultimately, the half-blade concept remains a niche practice within the larger wet shaving community. While its historical origins might be unclear, understanding the potential uses and limitations can provide a more nuanced perspective on this specific approach to shaving.

I hope this information helps clarify the situation regarding half-blade razors! Feel free to ask any further questions you might have about wet shaving and its fascinating history.

Despite this I am ultimately not that happy with the Tachi; it is not as efficient as many of my DE razors,
That's a thought which in fact crossed my mind, too, when I had loaded a Nacet. I got better results with the Feather blade.
But then again, given the significant blade feel/gap I had expected an even higher level of efficiency.
while being a bit harsh, and while loud and pointing out stubble audibly, it often doesn't catch all hair and pointing the razor somewhere and pulling down to correct that is not always guaranteed either.
You might experiment a bit with shaving angles, perhaps that will do the trick for you.
Maneuverable and fun with good feedback, but not as mild nor as efficient as some other razors, this head is definitely not a must have.

P.S. did I know somehow remember what @JAHE wrote or came "not a must have" to my mind by itself. 🤔😁
😎👍

Besides , I still have to give he DSCOSMETICS Mars SE a run for it's money. And it's AC blade sibbling, the Legend. 👍

Have a nice weekend!

I have the Sheild Stomper (on their AliExpress Store they call it SE Head), the ECO, the Stando Prowe, and the Stando Jaga (look carefully as there is also an Artist Club Jage). I like the Shield - for me, it is at the low end of aggression, with enough blade feel to know it's working but no irritation. Smooth and comfortable. The handles (I have several Shields) are very positive and secure when wet. I love all my Standos. Impeccable craftsmanship (they are fun to just look at), Very efficient/effective but surprisingly gentle on the skin - Dr. Alum approves (I prefer Treet Yellow Durasharps in them). The handles are super grippy and they let you choose your handle if you do not want the default and they have stand holes in the bottom as an option(I have several and they are all very good). The Prowe has less blade feel and is milder than the Jaga. There is also a titanium version of the Jaga. The blade gap is 1.2 on the Jaga, but it feels very gentle on the face so DO NOT APPLY PRESSURE. Obey that rule and it is an awesome shave. They don't publish the gap for the Prowe and I still haven't set up my measuring system so I don't know what it is.

I rank them (for me) as Jaga, Stomper, Prowe, and ECO. Hope this helps

I had a Prowe and found it too mild, which is exactly how it is described by Stan himself. Lovely razor, very well made, just a bit too inefficient for me.

So far, the best of my bunch has been the Stomper. Still a bit mild, but I can get a decent head shave from it, with a bit of persistence.

Yesterday, I went back to my Leaf, loaded with three Derby Extra blades and had a very nice, drama-free head shave..so, my original DE half-blade razor may be the answer.

Full circle. 🙂

Interesting that you guys bought up the half DE blades a page or two back as that is something I wanted to ask about for a while now, but somehow keep forgetting to mention/ask about.

Is there any advantage to buying/using the half DE blades over a full DE blade and snapping them in half like most people do? Are the half DE blades more rigid or different in any way? Do most major brands have a half DE blade option, or is it very few brands that have them?

Interesting that you guys bought up the half DE blades a page or two back as that is something I wanted to ask about for a while now, but somehow keep forgetting to mention/ask about.

Is there any advantage to buying/using the half DE blades over a full DE blade and snapping them in half like most people do? Are the half DE blades more rigid or different in any way? Do most major brands have a half DE blade option, or is it very few brands that have them?

There is no difference, though some razors that accept half-blades REQUIRE a blade that is snapped in half by the user.

The curl or lip created when snapping the blade helps secure the blade in those razors.

I didn't know that! The half blades then better go into these Sedefs and similar shavettes.

You can certainly try.

My Sedef razors are fairly new, and very tight...a manufactured half blade is a challenge to fit into the razor. I would expect the curled edge of a snapped blade would make the fit even tighter, but have never tried one.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
My Sedef razors are fairly new, and very tight...a manufactured half blade is a challenge to fit into the razor. I would expect the curled edge of a snapped blade would make the fit even tighter, but have never tried one.
You will find any DE razor or straight razor easy to shave with after that! Any straight edge is stiffer and more forgiving, any safety razor safer to shave with. They exist IMO because barbers were no longer allowed to use straight razors on different customers and were easy and cheap to produce, but they are more difficult to use than a straight edge and not nearly as easy to use as a double edge safety razor.

(Maybe to make the customers rather let the barber do it than shave themselves and get the idea to use a DE safety razor instead? :hand:)

You will find any DE razor or straight razor easy to shave with after that! Any straight edge is stiffer and more forgiving, any safety razor safer to shave with. They exist IMO because barbers were no longer allowed to use straight razors on different customers and were easy and cheap to produce, but they are more difficult to use than a straight edge and not nearly as easy to use as a double edge safety razor.

(Maybe to make the customers rather let the barber do it than shave themselves and get the idea to use a DE safety razor instead? :hand:)

Oh yes, the Sedef is my most challenging razor to shave with. I'm usually always OK after the first and second pass (and should probably stop there)...it's the ATG pass that seems to get me in trouble.

20240127_115755-01-01-01.jpeg

Debut shave with the DSC Mars SE.

I'll provide some details soon, once I've done a few more shaves with this razor head, but it's clear to me that I like the characteristics of the DSC Mars way better than the Yaqi Tachi right from the start.

Cheers!

View attachment 1786842
Debut shave with the DSC Mars SE.

I'll provide some details soon, once I've done a few more shaves with this razor head, but it's clear to me that I like the characteristics of the DSC Mars way better than the Yaqi Tachi right from the start.

Cheers!

It is definitely much milder than the Tachi. A bit too mild for my head shaves, but very low risk...and it sure looks nice.

20240128_132701.jpeg

Second outing of the Mars SE. The picture is evolving...

Here are my initial impressions:

It is very easy to load the blade onto the top cap. Once the half blade is fixated between the posts of the top cap, the blade stays in place without further issues when you attach the baseplate. The blade alignment is excellent.

My two shaves with the Mars were gentle and sufficiently efficient. As already stated, I'm a face shaver and striving for 300+ shaves this year.

On to the details of the shaves.

The Mars is placed on the milder end of the spectrum, as far as blade feel and risk of ending up with pink lather is concerned. This razor head won't bite you out of the nothing. You can adjust the level of blade feel easily by changing the shave angle. If you ride the cap the blade feel is completely gone (read: buttery smooth strokes 🤩), but if you opt for a strictly steep angle there's a non-menacing sort of pleasant blade feel. FWIW, I use to call this level of blade feel a "responsive blade feel". The blade feel of the Mars will let you know what the blade is doing, but it won't make you feel inconfortable. A steep angle, that is.

There's no blade chatter, the clamping of the blade seems to be excellent. As others already have highlighted the blade edge barely gets exposed. I guess that's part of the reason why there's no blade chatter. The blade is widely covered by the metal surface of both the topcap and the baseplate.

Overall, these characteristics make for an enjoyable and comfortable shave. The ATG pass felt really nice. Some goes for the foul's pass. 👍

As @gpjoe correctly pointed out, the Mars features a significant lower amount of blade feel than the Yaqi Tachi.

Besides, I'm not sure if the efficiency level of the Mars is significantly lower than the one of the Yaqi Tachi. One might expect a lower performance due to the lower amount of blade feel, but I'd say that isn’t the case here. Sure, it might be easier to remove a couple days worth of growth with the Tachi due to the larger blade gap of 1.00 mm. But if we are talking about the overall end results, I'd say the Mars likely is at least as capable as the Tachi is. In fact, I found it easier with the Mars to enter the level of shaving results I'm after for (DFS+ or closer). The Mars might take you perhaps a few more strokes to get to the desired end result (if at all), but these strokes feel way more gentle than the ones applied with the Tachi. The Mars won't cause any skin irritation, that's a huge pro for me.

Mind you, the Mars is not a slouch (the blade gap is .86mm with a blade exposure of .15mm, according to DSC.).

To sum things up, if you are in need for a high blade feel razor better be adviced to not get a DSC Mars.

The Mars might be a candidate for those who are looking for a razor with an efficiency level of perhaps Karve B or C (closer to C). Those who enjoy comfort over whisker wacking capabilities will be fine with this razor. The Mars might be a enjoyable daily driver for many wet shaving guys...

The Mars is probably a keeper for me on the long run, but as alway, time will tell.

I'm looking forward to load this razor with a Feather blade. BTW, the black 7 o'clock Gillette works like a charm in the Mars. I'd suspect every keen blade will do. But the Feather might be the primus inter pares with the Mars.

Now, speaking about the Tachi. My Yaqi Tachi has already found a new home today. I'll dispatch the parcel tomorrow...

'Nuff said. 😎

Last edited:
View attachment 1787215
Second outing of the Mars SE. The picture is evolving...

Here are my initial impressions:

It is very easy to load the blade onto the top cap. Once the half blade is fixated between the posts of the top cap, the blade stays in place without further issues when you attach the baseplate. The blade alignment is excellent.

My two shaves with the Mars were gentle and sufficiently efficient. As already stated, I'm a face shaver and striving for 300+ shaves this year.

On to the details of the shaves.

The Mars is placed on the milder end of the spectrum, as far as blade feel and risk of ending up with pink lather is concerned. This razor head won't bite you out of the nothing. You can adjust the level of blade feel easily by changing the shave angle. If you ride the cap the blade feel is completely gone (read: buttery smooth strokes 🤩), but if you opt for a strictly steep angle there's a non-menacing sort of pleasant blade feel. FWIW, I use to call this level of blade feel a "responsive blade feel". The blade feel of the Mars will let you know what the blade is doing, but it won't make you feel inconfortable. A steep angle, that is.

There's no blade chatter, the clamping of the blade seems to be excellent. As others already have highlighted the blade edge barely gets exposed. I guess that's part of the reason why there's no blade chatter. The blade is widely covered by the metal surface of both the topcap and the baseplate.

Overall, these characteristics make for an enjoyable and comfortable shave. The ATG pass felt really nice. Some goes for the foul's pass. 👍

As @gpjoe correctly pointed out, the Mars features a significant lower amount of blade feel than the Yaqi Tachi.

Besides, I'm not sure if the efficiency level of the Mars is significantly lower than the one of the Yaqi Tachi. One might expect a lower performance due to the lower amount of blade feel, but I'd say that isn’t the case here. Sure, it might be easier to remove a couple days worth of growth with the Tachi due to the larger blade gap of 1.00 mm. But if we are talking about the overall end results, I'd say the Mars likely is at least as capable as the Tachi is. In fact, I found it easier with the Mars to enter the level of shaving results I'm after for (DFS+ or closer). The Mars might take you perhaps a few more strokes to get to the desired end result (if at all), but these strokes feel way more gentle than the ones applied with the Tachi. The Mars won't cause any skin irritation, that's a huge pro for me.

Mind you, the Mars is not a slouch (the blade gap is .86mm with a blade exposure of .15mm, according to DSC.).

To sum things up, if you are in need for a high blade feel razor better be adviced to not get a DSC Mars.

The Mars might be a candidate for those who are looking for a razor with an efficiency level of perhaps Karve B or C (closer to C). Those who enjoy comfort over whisker wacking capabilities will be fine with this razor. The Mars might be a enjoyable daily driver for many wet shaving guys...

The Mars is probably a keeper for me on the long run, but as alway, time will tell.

I'm looking forward to load this razor with a Feather blade. BTW, the black 7 o'clock Gillette works like a charm in the Mars. I'd suspect every keen blade will do. But the Feather might be the primus inter pares with the Mars.

Now, speaking about the Tachi. My Yaqi Tachi has already found a new home today. I'll dispatch the parcel tomorrow...

'Nuff said. 😎

I think I might try mine with a Kai blade for a touch more blade exposure.

I was inspired by @JAHE to give my MARS SE another go for today's head shave. The line-up:

MARS SE on RR Vintage Thick Bar
Shark SS saloon
xXx
Omega
xXx

Screenshot_20240129_215111_Gallery.jpg

Boy was I surprised.

I think I've been spoiled by more efficient razors, like my Vector, and grown a bit impatient. With my Vector I can quickly finish my head shaves in two passes (WTG/ATG) and minor touchup, resulting in 95% BBS.

After today's shave, I've realized that I can get very close to the same result with the MARS...it just requires a bit more time and effort.

Today's shave was a "standard" 3-pass shave (WTG/XTG/ATG) with quite a bit of touch up, but I never...not once...felt like I was in jeopardy of cutting myself...even though I had the razor zipping around my scalp.

Truly enjoyable shave, at a "relaxed" pace.

What is your average shave time with the MARS SE compared to the Vector? How much longer is it taking for the same/similar result?

Top Bottom