What's new

RazoRock Game Changer .84 - Very Impressed

Since I began DE shaving, I have used and collected vintage Gillette’s exclusively. Having sold off most of my collection, I wanted to try a modern DE razor. So I chose the RazoRock Game Changer .84. Upon opening the package I was greeted by a nice zippered leather travel pouch.
View attachment 1000099 View attachment 1000100
Inside was this.
View attachment 1000104
In my opinion, a beautiful razor.
View attachment 1000106 View attachment 1000107
I loaded the razor with a Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow blade, and this is what it looked like..
View attachment 1000110 View attachment 1000111
Definitely some blade exposure, but no overhang on the sides of the head, which I was happy about. I bought the .84 because I enjoy a more aggressive razor. I had done some reading before the purchase and opinions varied wildly, as they usually do in this hobby, but the consensus was that for the money, this razor was a great deal. And I’m here to tell you that it is.
I lathered up with some TOBS Lemon and Lime, inserted the blade and began the first pass. The first stroke was a tentative one, as it took me a second to find the appropriate angle. But when I did, this razor/blade combo sliced through 2 days of growth like a hot knife through butter. Very smooth and very comfortable WTG. This razor is pretty heavy compared to any I’d used up to this point, but I actually enjoyed the heft. It allowed me to use no pressure, and let the weight of the razor do the work. The Barber pole handle is beautifully done in my opinion, providing tenacious grip, even with soapy hands.
The second pass was XTG, and every bit as comfortable as the first, even on the neck area, which can be a trouble spot for me. The blade is as solid as a rock when tightened into this head, however I still received feedback, letting me know of any spots I had missed.
The third and final pass was ATG. Once again, I was surprised by the level of comfort this razor provided, even going ATG under the chin, which usually leads to minor irritation in my case. Make no mistake, this razor is aggressive, but not uncomfortably so if you take your time, use a quality blade and let the razor do the work. Under the nose was a piece of cake; the head is very maneuverable in tight spaces.
So what characteristic do I like most about this razor? That’s easy. With this razor and blade exposure, I can feel the blade at all times, guiding me every step of the way through the shave. If I need to slightly adjust the angle, the blade lets me know. If I miss a spot, the blade lets me know. If I need to adjust technique from a longer stroke to a buff, the blade lets me know. The tactile feedback from this razor is tremendous. For me, this razor is a wonderful balance between aggressiveness and comfort, tactile feedback and smoothness.
As you can tell by this post, I had a great shave. And in my opinion, the RazoRock Game Changer .84 is a fantastic razor and a tremendous value. The razor was $67 delivered to my door. Made of 316L marine grade stainless steel, it should perform for decades and will probably outlast me. If it does, I hope there’s one waiting on the sink for me in Heaven.
Now you just need to order their new Open Comb and you will be even happier........

Now you just need to order their new Open Comb and you will be even happier........
+1 I didn’t think RazoRock could improve much on the Original.84 SB but they succeeded. It shaves incredibly close without being aggressive and manages same comfort as the .84. It is smooth and well mannered, and it is very easy maneuverable as well. Only difference is I have to be more careful below the nose(mustache area) than the staight bar. So far so good with the open comb .84 GL

Man....the quest just won't end for me. I bought a 6S a number of months ago after a long stint in the Single Edge world. Couldn't believe how smooth the 6S is, and still blown away by the smoothness level. However, efficiency-wise, even on plate 5, it just wasn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's not bad by any stretch. I don't like the #6 plate so it's not going to factor for me. Then came the Brass Karve and the C plate. It's not as smooth as the 6S (still pretty smooth) but much more efficient. Buuuuut….then I was selling off a few razors and I was speaking with someone about the Gamechanger .84. He had an OC version for a possible trade. I really didn't want another razor at the moment (trying to cut down) and I'm on the waitlist for the SS Karve. Also, I wasn't sure I wanted an OC. I fell victim to RAD and ordered the .84 SB with the super knurl handle. I'm lucky it was available. All I have to say is "whoa".....I can't believe it's that efficient and smooth simultaneously. That's with a Feather blade as well! It just might reign supreme. I'll have to give it a few more shaves but I'm blown away. It really is a game changer ;) haha. Like others, I've probably gone through about 20 or so razors, give or take a few, some being drastically more expensive!

Man....the quest just won't end for me. I bought a 6S a number of months ago after a long stint in the Single Edge world. Couldn't believe how smooth the 6S is, and still blown away by the smoothness level. However, efficiency-wise, even on plate 5, it just wasn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's not bad by any stretch. I don't like the #6 plate so it's not going to factor for me. Then came the Brass Karve and the C plate. It's not as smooth as the 6S (still pretty smooth) but much more efficient. Buuuuut….then I was selling off a few razors and I was speaking with someone about the Gamechanger .84. He had an OC version for a possible trade. I really didn't want another razor at the moment (trying to cut down) and I'm on the waitlist for the SS Karve. Also, I wasn't sure I wanted an OC. I fell victim to RAD and ordered the .84 SB with the super knurl handle. I'm lucky it was available. All I have to say is "whoa".....I can't believe it's that efficient and smooth simultaneously. That's with a Feather blade as well! It just might reign supreme. I'll have to give it a few more shaves but I'm blown away. It really is a game changer ;) haha. Like others, I've probably gone through about 20 or so razors, give or take a few, some being drastically more expensive!

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the Game Changer .84 is very aptly named.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I am finding it exceedingly difficult to reach for anything else in my den lately. The barber pole .84 SB is marvelously smooth and efficient. A pure joy to use.

I don't have but a couple others for comparison but it's my daily driver. I don't see
how much better a razor can get, so I'm good with my RR.

I am finding it exceedingly difficult to reach for anything else in my den lately. The barber pole .84 SB is marvelously smooth and efficient. A pure joy to use.

Glad you like it, Dan. You should try the OC—it’s just as smooth and a little more efficient.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Glad you like it, Dan. You should try the OC—it’s just as smooth and a little more efficient.
Trey, I actually have the OC plate, but I haven’t given it a spin just yet. I’ve been so enamored with the SB!

Your post made me smile from ear to ear. I’m really happy you tried the GC.84. Congratulations my friend!! I received my Karve Ss and it’s superb... it’s everything you said it was. I’m really happy with it. With that said, RR really nailed it with the Gamechanger .84 oC or Sb. It’s so phenomenal that I take it on vacations too haha Happy Shaves :)

+1 Dan... i also like to add that they both have different face feel, i still don’t know which i prefer better. They are both equally smooth, OC is more efficient for sure, OC takes a little more time in my shave as well.

I prefer the SB for ATG, OC for WTG and XTG. Happy Shaving!

The Gamechanger .84 SB and OC are awesome, my favorite razors right now. But every time I have to change the blade, I freaking hate them. It is a dangerous and tedious ordeal with an easy fix, make the blade post a tiny bit smaller.

It is a dangerous and tedious ordeal with an easy fix, make the blade post a tiny bit smaller.

Smaller posts?! And miss out on the joys of tight tolerances? No way!

What’s dangerous? Just pop a aide tab up a little and pull it right off; it can be done with one hand most times.

What’s dangerous? Just pop a aide tab up a little and pull it right off; it can be done with one hand most times.
On my GC .84 SB, the blade comes off easily but on my GC .84 OC, I have to force the blade on and pry it off, the blade is usually a bent when I’m done removing it. I try to lift one tab a bit and I work it off from there.

Ordinarily, I might chime in with you and say @Sharp&Shiny is being unnecessarily critical of the blade changing process with the GC. But a few weeks ago, I gave myself one of the worst cuts I've ever had in my over 40 years as a shaver, changing blades on the GC. And, it wasn't the blade edge that did the damage, but the blade tab! True, I was being incredibly sloppy and careless, and was still 80 percent asleep. So I say to brother @Sharp&Shiny, just don't change the blade first thing in the morning, and respect the side tabs as well as the cutting edges.

Your post made me smile from ear to ear. I’m really happy you tried the GC.84. Congratulations my friend!! I received my Karve Ss and it’s superb... it’s everything you said it was. I’m really happy with it. With that said, RR really nailed it with the Gamechanger .84 oC or Sb. It’s so phenomenal that I take it on vacations too haha Happy Shaves :)

Ha. Yeah...you got me reading and thinking about it. Couldn't resist!! Glad I did....but now I have another razor instead of one less ;). haha!! Thanks for all the info!

First shave with my new Razorock Game Changer .84 (radio knob). Used a new Feather and a Razorock plissoft with Bruce handle with my homemade shaving soap. Could be the best shave ever for me; certainly I've had none better. RR offers great products, with value pricing. Thanks RR!

A note on the finish of the P .84: RR writes ". . . the razors will not be mirror finished and will not be mark-free." Razorock is being conservative here. Tho' they are correct that the finish is not absolutely like a mirror, it is close. First impression is of a mirror like finish, like your best stainless steel pans, close to a chrome look. It is much brighter than the gray of my 2014 Above-the-Tie R, Kronos handle.

Top Bottom