What's new

RazoRock Game Changer .84 - Very Impressed

Since I began DE shaving, I have used and collected vintage Gillette’s exclusively. Having sold off most of my collection, I wanted to try a modern DE razor. So I chose the RazoRock Game Changer .84. Upon opening the package I was greeted by a nice zippered leather travel pouch.
7DB42F50-BEBA-4FFA-8CB0-2AD2F4249631.jpeg
993660CF-D339-44C3-AB47-77C9828DCC71.jpeg

Inside was this.
72A1D475-6E34-401A-98A6-B382C625B853.jpeg

In my opinion, a beautiful razor.
9F80139F-C826-4700-B6C3-B433C77F61E6.jpeg
745245F9-F18C-4B92-8A48-CFFCA6DA7753.jpeg

I loaded the razor with a Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow blade, and this is what it looked like..
9F2F864F-E57B-49FF-8FF9-09A1324ED4C0.jpeg
D67E7A2E-FB09-4F07-A54C-202DFAEB6AE4.jpeg

Definitely some blade exposure, but no overhang on the sides of the head, which I was happy about. I bought the .84 because I enjoy a more aggressive razor. I had done some reading before the purchase and opinions varied wildly, as they usually do in this hobby, but the consensus was that for the money, this razor was a great deal. And I’m here to tell you that it is.
I lathered up with some TOBS Lemon and Lime, inserted the blade and began the first pass. The first stroke was a tentative one, as it took me a second to find the appropriate angle. But when I did, this razor/blade combo sliced through 2 days of growth like a hot knife through butter. Very smooth and very comfortable WTG. This razor is pretty heavy compared to any I’d used up to this point, but I actually enjoyed the heft. It allowed me to use no pressure, and let the weight of the razor do the work. The Barber pole handle is beautifully done in my opinion, providing tenacious grip, even with soapy hands.
The second pass was XTG, and every bit as comfortable as the first, even on the neck area, which can be a trouble spot for me. The blade is as solid as a rock when tightened into this head, however I still received feedback, letting me know of any spots I had missed.
The third and final pass was ATG. Once again, I was surprised by the level of comfort this razor provided, even going ATG under the chin, which usually leads to minor irritation in my case. Make no mistake, this razor is aggressive, but not uncomfortably so if you take your time, use a quality blade and let the razor do the work. Under the nose was a piece of cake; the head is very maneuverable in tight spaces.
So what characteristic do I like most about this razor? That’s easy. With this razor and blade exposure, I can feel the blade at all times, guiding me every step of the way through the shave. If I need to slightly adjust the angle, the blade lets me know. If I miss a spot, the blade lets me know. If I need to adjust technique from a longer stroke to a buff, the blade lets me know. The tactile feedback from this razor is tremendous. For me, this razor is a wonderful balance between aggressiveness and comfort, tactile feedback and smoothness.
As you can tell by this post, I had a great shave. And in my opinion, the RazoRock Game Changer .84 is a fantastic razor and a tremendous value. The razor was $67 delivered to my door. Made of 316L marine grade stainless steel, it should perform for decades and will probably outlast me. If it does, I hope there’s one waiting on the sink for me in Heaven.

Nice review man, and congrats on your first modern DE being a success.

I ended up the same, big heavy SS razor being my go to.

Hope you get 1000 great shaves out of it.

Wonderful review, awesome razor! The GC .84 is never leaving my den. Loved it from the moment it landed on my front steps. Have a Great day and an Even Better Shave!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Since I began DE shaving, I have used and collected vintage Gillette’s exclusively. Having sold off most of my collection, I wanted to try a modern DE razor. So I chose the RazoRock Game Changer .84. Upon opening the package I was greeted by a nice zippered leather travel pouch.
View attachment 1000099 View attachment 1000100
Inside was this.
View attachment 1000104
In my opinion, a beautiful razor.
View attachment 1000106 View attachment 1000107
I loaded the razor with a Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow blade, and this is what it looked like..
View attachment 1000110 View attachment 1000111
Definitely some blade exposure, but no overhang on the sides of the head, which I was happy about. I bought the .84 because I enjoy a more aggressive razor. I had done some reading before the purchase and opinions varied wildly, as they usually do in this hobby, but the consensus was that for the money, this razor was a great deal. And I’m here to tell you that it is.
I lathered up with some TOBS Lemon and Lime, inserted the blade and began the first pass. The first stroke was a tentative one, as it took me a second to find the appropriate angle. But when I did, this razor/blade combo sliced through 2 days of growth like a hot knife through butter. Very smooth and very comfortable WTG. This razor is pretty heavy compared to any I’d used up to this point, but I actually enjoyed the heft. It allowed me to use no pressure, and let the weight of the razor do the work. The Barber pole handle is beautifully done in my opinion, providing tenacious grip, even with soapy hands.
The second pass was XTG, and every bit as comfortable as the first, even on the neck area, which can be a trouble spot for me. The blade is as solid as a rock when tightened into this head, however I still received feedback, letting me know of any spots I had missed.
The third and final pass was ATG. Once again, I was surprised by the level of comfort this razor provided, even going ATG under the chin, which usually leads to minor irritation in my case. Make no mistake, this razor is aggressive, but not uncomfortably so if you take your time, use a quality blade and let the razor do the work. Under the nose was a piece of cake; the head is very maneuverable in tight spaces.
So what characteristic do I like most about this razor? That’s easy. With this razor and blade exposure, I can feel the blade at all times, guiding me every step of the way through the shave. If I need to slightly adjust the angle, the blade lets me know. If I miss a spot, the blade lets me know. If I need to adjust technique from a longer stroke to a buff, the blade lets me know. The tactile feedback from this razor is tremendous. For me, this razor is a wonderful balance between aggressiveness and comfort, tactile feedback and smoothness.
As you can tell by this post, I had a great shave. And in my opinion, the RazoRock Game Changer .84 is a fantastic razor and a tremendous value. The razor was $67 delivered to my door. Made of 316L marine grade stainless steel, it should perform for decades and will probably outlast me. If it does, I hope there’s one waiting on the sink for me in Heaven.

It will even get better after a few more shaves
I really like my .84 Game Changer Razor and the .68 is a great shaver too.
Nice review .

I like it so much I bought another one just in case. It is my go to razor, and I could use it for the rest of my life!

The new OC is tempting, but I really like my PAA Ascension as well.

Excellent review. After a lot of research I got the 0.68 version and though I'm still a newbie at DE shaving I instantly noticed a big step up both in construction and shave quality with this razor. No issues whatsoever with blade alignment; get the blade on those two baseplate posts and it'll still be dead on when the razor is assembled, each and every time.

I like it so much I bought another one just in case. It is my go to razor, and I could use it for the rest of my life!

The new OC is tempting, but I really like my PAA Ascension as well.
I feel the same way. Although my impulsive nature wouldn’t allow it, I could be happy sticking with it indefinitely!

Excellent review. After a lot of research I got the 0.68 version and though I'm still a newbie at DE shaving I instantly noticed a big step up both in construction and shave quality with this razor. No issues whatsoever with blade alignment; get the blade on those two baseplate posts and it'll still be dead on when the razor is assembled, each and every time.
Thanks! Yes, I was very impressed by the quality of this razor, and for $67 delivered it’s a no-brainer! I’m sure that some of the $200+ razors are magnificent, but the wife would murder me in my sleep if I spent that much lol

Thanks! Yes, I was very impressed by the quality of this razor, and for $67 delivered it’s a no-brainer! I’m sure that some of the $200+ razors are magnificent, but the wife would murder me in my sleep if I spent that much lol

I've had and several more expensive stainless razors. Some were equal (feather as D2) to the razorock but none were better (for me).

I'm just amazed that the game changer and mamba haven't put the other mostly zamak head razors in their price range out of business.

Top Bottom