What's new

RazoRock Game Changer .84 - Very Impressed

Its just GC OC plate, doesn’t happen with GC 84 or mamba. Just the 84 OC plate and Mamba 70. That’s the same way I remove the blade too. What I don’t know is if it’s just the my OC plate or all of them and that’s why I mentioned the blade fit, since it could be a valid issue with my razor or the blades or both.

I guess I'll have to use tweezers to remove blades.....
It's happened w Nacet and Super Thin.... wonder what I will use next.....for sure NOT Bic... I have the same problems w Jaws but the Lupo is perfect......

I'm really still loving my GC84 and it's become my daily driver but yes getting the blade out can be a bit of a pain.

I can hold the tabs of the blade and it won't pop off so I figured out a way to get it off safely.

IMG_20190817_145020.jpg

Turn the plate upside down on a cloth w the blade facing down. Press against the bottom of the safety bar like so and the blade will pop off.
IMG_20190817_145000.jpg

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Superb, thoughtful review! Both informed and informative; GCs get a lot of love around here and I'm beginning to see why. The OC version is definitely on my list. Thanks for posting.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I'm really still loving my GC84 and it's become my daily driver but yes getting the blade out can be a bit of a pain.

I can hold the tabs of the blade and it won't pop off so I figured out a way to get it off safely.

View attachment 1008739

Turn the plate upside down on a cloth w the blade facing down. Press against the bottom of the safety bar like so and the blade will pop off.
View attachment 1008738

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
Brilliant!

You are a very clever guy, Mawashi. Clearly all that quiet reflecting while you are DE shaving has paid off. ;-)

Thanks mozartman,

I would love to be able engage in some quiet meditation when I'm shaving but, shaving requires quite a bit of focus or it could become a bloody mess lol.

I rather do my reflection when I have nothing sharp or dangerous in my hands.

How about that! Thanks mawashi

Worked on my GC84
Doesn’t work quite as well on my GC OC, but it still helps.

Every bit helps when you're handling super sharp blades :)

Happy shaves guys,

Mawashi

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thanks mozartman,

I would love to be able engage in some quiet meditation when I'm shaving but, shaving requires quite a bit of focus or it could become a bloody mess lol.

I rather do my reflection when I have nothing sharp or dangerous in my hands.

Every bit helps when you're handling super sharp blades :)

Happy shaves guys,

Mawashi
Your tip should be a sticky note on here ... it works every time. Well done.:a14:

I presume that blade is going to the bin. The edge is effectively ruined by pressing the plate over it.

I respectfully disagree that the blade would be ruined by removing the blade in that manner. It's not like it's getting stropped against the blade grain. It's a simple press, straight down. I don't use the method but I sure don't see any issue.

Anyone have a SS stand they like with the Game Changer? Maggards has one (13mm) that I was looking at for a decent price ($12.95). I have the Super Knurl (13mm) that should work fine with the stand, and the Barber Pole on order (Butt end is 14mm - obviously won't work with the stand). Thanks in advance.

I thought so too, but even rough unwrapping can damage the edge. See Incorrect unwrapping damages blades?

Interesting video. Being from 1944, I'd like to believe technology has improved slightly since then, in addition to coatings, etc. Although feasible, I still feel the difference would be negligible and one wouldn't notice any minuscule change to the blade. Maybe they would. Who knows. I've never noticed anything although it does make one want to be careful to a reasonable extent.

Interesting video. Being from 1944, I'd like to believe technology has improved slightly since then.

Yes, it has. Blades are sharper, thinner and hence more fragile. They are essentially hardened foil. So they put wax to fix the blade from shifting in the wrapper because it wears off the coating, burrs the edge. You can dull a hunting knife on a bit of cardboard.

View attachment 1008739

View attachment 1008738

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
Great idea!! Thank you thank you thank you.

Your tip should be a sticky note on here ... it works every time. Well done.:a14:

Thanks my friend. Cheers to many more great shaves.

I presume that blade is going to the bin. The edge is effectively ruined by pressing the plate over it.

I thought so too, but even rough unwrapping can damage the edge. See Incorrect unwrapping damages blades?

The physics behind the blade removal does not involve the blade's edge getting roughed up. On a perfectly flat surface, the edge won't even touch the surface due to the bevel and the force is directed only on the contact points where the plate holds the blade.

I'm going on 30 shaves with the same BIC and I've only used one side.

Anyone have a SS stand they like with the Game Changer? Maggards has one (13mm) that I was looking at for a decent price ($12.95). I have the Super Knurl (13mm) that should work fine with the stand, and the Barber Pole on order (Butt end is 14mm - obviously won't work with the stand). Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how large your barber pole is but you can message Yaqi to find out if their stand fits.
IMG_20190803_163425.jpg

I’ve used this technique twice now, and subsequent shaves on the same blade were okie dokie.

So far so good too, 30 shaves and counting lol.

I'm eyeing on the Game Changer razor but I also enjoy milder razors more than aggressive ones. I'm thinking of the .68 version as that one should be milder to work with. Does anyone find the .84 GC too aggressive or is it just right?

I'm eyeing on the Game Changer razor but I also enjoy milder razors more than aggressive ones. I'm thinking of the .68 version as that one should be milder to work with. Does anyone find the .84 GC too aggressive or is it just right?

If you read my earlier posts I hated the GC84, it was way to aggressive but with the right blade I tamed it.

My advice would be to get a 68 first and once you feel you need something more effecient get the 84 plates.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Top Bottom