What's new

RazoRock Game Changer .84 - Very Impressed

I've had and several more expensive stainless razors. Some were equal (feather as D2) to the razorock but none were better (for me).

I'm just amazed that the game changer and mamba haven't put the other mostly zamak head razors in their price range out of business.
Thanks for sharing! RazoRock definitely has a good thing going with their razors, and their other products are reasonably priced and generally perform well too. It’s a good business model. I’m ecstatic that they used 316L stainless at this price point.

The MJ-90A is a stainless and aluminum version of Edwin Jagger DE89, the .68 and .84 Game Changers are both fantastic and the open comb razors have stainless handles for 20 bucks.... a really good lineup.

The MJ-90A is a stainless and aluminum version of Edwin Jagger DE89, the .68 and .84 Game Changers are both fantastic and the open comb razors have stainless handles for 20 bucks.... a really good lineup.
I’m really enjoying the weight of the stainless. The heavier razors always seem to be smoother for me. I’ll be interested to see what people think about the OC.

I forgot to mention that my Mamba, Game Changers, SLOC, MJ-90, Mission, Mentor and my Wunderbar all shave beautifully. These shave as well (to me) as my Blackland Dart, my Timeless, ATT and the 3ONE6...

I am one of those nerds that likes to own almost everything :)

I've had and several more expensive stainless razors. Some were equal (feather as D2) to the razorock but none were better (for me).

I'm just amazed that the game changer and mamba haven't put the other mostly zamak head razors in their price range out of business.

It surprises me that someone would still buy a zamak head with these modern milled razors made of stainless and aluminum

I forgot to mention that my Mamba, Game Changers, SLOC, MJ-90, Mission, Mentor and my Wunderbar all shave beautifully. These shave as well (to me) as my Blackland Dart, my Timeless, ATT and the 3ONE6...

I am one of those nerds that likes to own almost everything :)
I was the same way with the vintage Gillettes, but decided to sell them off to try some of the new ones! Glad to hear that their whole lineup is good. I'm sure I'll buy some of the others:001_smile

The GC .84 convinced me. I'm sticking with CNC for current production models in future acquisitions.
Seriously. If Razorock can offer a CNC machined razor at the prices they do, why can't Edwin Jagger? I can see how a small company like Karve can charge what they feel is a fair price, but established companies like Muhle and EJ need to step up their game.

Since I began DE shaving, I have used and collected vintage Gillette’s exclusively. Having sold off most of my collection, I wanted to try a modern DE razor. So I chose the RazoRock Game Changer .84. Upon opening the package I was greeted by a nice zippered leather travel pouch.
View attachment 1000099 View attachment 1000100
Inside was this.
View attachment 1000104
In my opinion, a beautiful razor.
View attachment 1000106 View attachment 1000107
I loaded the razor with a Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow blade, and this is what it looked like..
View attachment 1000110 View attachment 1000111
Definitely some blade exposure, but no overhang on the sides of the head, which I was happy about. I bought the .84 because I enjoy a more aggressive razor. I had done some reading before the purchase and opinions varied wildly, as they usually do in this hobby, but the consensus was that for the money, this razor was a great deal. And I’m here to tell you that it is.
I lathered up with some TOBS Lemon and Lime, inserted the blade and began the first pass. The first stroke was a tentative one, as it took me a second to find the appropriate angle. But when I did, this razor/blade combo sliced through 2 days of growth like a hot knife through butter. Very smooth and very comfortable WTG. This razor is pretty heavy compared to any I’d used up to this point, but I actually enjoyed the heft. It allowed me to use no pressure, and let the weight of the razor do the work. The Barber pole handle is beautifully done in my opinion, providing tenacious grip, even with soapy hands.
The second pass was XTG, and every bit as comfortable as the first, even on the neck area, which can be a trouble spot for me. The blade is as solid as a rock when tightened into this head, however I still received feedback, letting me know of any spots I had missed.
The third and final pass was ATG. Once again, I was surprised by the level of comfort this razor provided, even going ATG under the chin, which usually leads to minor irritation in my case. Make no mistake, this razor is aggressive, but not uncomfortably so if you take your time, use a quality blade and let the razor do the work. Under the nose was a piece of cake; the head is very maneuverable in tight spaces.
So what characteristic do I like most about this razor? That’s easy. With this razor and blade exposure, I can feel the blade at all times, guiding me every step of the way through the shave. If I need to slightly adjust the angle, the blade lets me know. If I miss a spot, the blade lets me know. If I need to adjust technique from a longer stroke to a buff, the blade lets me know. The tactile feedback from this razor is tremendous. For me, this razor is a wonderful balance between aggressiveness and comfort, tactile feedback and smoothness.
As you can tell by this post, I had a great shave. And in my opinion, the RazoRock Game Changer .84 is a fantastic razor and a tremendous value. The razor was $67 delivered to my door. Made of 316L marine grade stainless steel, it should perform for decades and will probably outlast me. If it does, I hope there’s one waiting on the sink for me in Heaven.
Since I began DE shaving, I have used and collected vintage Gillette’s exclusively. Having sold off most of my collection, I wanted to try a modern DE razor. So I chose the RazoRock Game Changer .84. Upon opening the package I was greeted by a nice zippered leather travel pouch.
Inside was this.
View attachment 1000104
I loaded the razor with a Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow blade, and this is what it looked like..
Definitely some blade exposure, but no overhang on the sides of the head, which I was happy about. I bought the .84 because I enjoy a more aggressive razor. I had done some reading before the purchase and opinions varied wildly, as they usually do in this hobby, but the consensus was that for the money, this razor was a great deal. And I’m here to tell you that it is.
I lathered up with some TOBS Lemon and Lime, inserted the blade and began the first pass. The first stroke was a tentative one, as it took me a second to find the appropriate angle. But when I did, this razor/blade combo sliced through 2 days of growth like a hot knife through butter. Very smooth and very comfortable WTG. This razor is pretty heavy compared to any I’d used up to this point, but I actually enjoyed the heft. It allowed me to use no pressure, and let the weight of the razor do the work. The Barber pole handle is beautifully done in my opinion, providing tenacious grip, even with soapy hands.
The second pass was XTG, and every bit as comfortable as the first, even on the neck area, which can be a trouble spot for me. The blade is as solid as a rock when tightened into this head, however I still received feedback, letting me know of any spots I had missed.
The third and final pass was ATG. Once again, I was surprised by the level of comfort this razor provided, even going ATG under the chin, which usually leads to minor irritation in my case. Make no mistake, this razor is aggressive, but not uncomfortably so if you take your time, use a quality blade and let the razor do the work. Under the nose was a piece of cake; the head is very maneuverable in tight spaces.
So what characteristic do I like most about this razor? That’s easy. With this razor and blade exposure, I can feel the blade at all times, guiding me every step of the way through the shave. If I need to slightly adjust the angle, the blade lets me know. If I miss a spot, the blade lets me know. If I need to adjust technique from a longer stroke to a buff, the blade lets me know. The tactile feedback from this razor is tremendous. For me, this razor is a wonderful balance between aggressiveness and comfort, tactile feedback and smoothness.
As you can tell by this post, I had a great shave. And in my opinion, the RazoRock Game Changer .84 is a fantastic razor and a tremendous value. The razor was $67 delivered to my door. Made of 316L marine grade stainless steel, it should perform for decades and will probably outlast me. If it does, I hope there’s one waiting on the sink for me in Heaven.

Inside was this.
View attachment 1000104
Inside was this.
View attachment 1000104
Just received this yesterday. Very pleased. Smooth and efficient.

It surprises me that someone would still buy a zamak head with these modern milled razors made of stainless and aluminum
I agree. My first razor when I returned to DE shaving was the Merkur 34C. That does have a zamak cap, but the threaded post is still chrome-plated brass. I've read that Merkur now even makes the post out of zamak, and the post threads are where the chrome plating is most likely to wear off, resulting in failure. I wouldn't buy that, but I suspect I could use my original Merkur with the brass threads every day for the rest of my life, and if I kept it clean and dry, I'd have to take very good care of myself to outlive it, barring dropping it on the floor, of course, which I am all too capable of doing.

Used my GC .84 about 15 minutes ago. I have the Super Knurl handle, which I at first settled for because it was the only one available from Italian Barber at the time. Now, I love it.

Blade was the Personna blue. Prep was keeping my stubble wet while I brushed my teeth, gargled mouthwash, churned some lather into my mug of Marvy soap with a Parker boar, and listened to the audiobook version of "Aliens 2" off YouTube. Then I rubbed in some Shave Secret.

Marvy soap does the job for 95 cents a puck. It surely does.

It was a smooth shave. Three passes in multiple directions, plus enough touch up to give me a BBS...or at least an above average DFS. Afterwards I rubbed in a bit of alum and later some Mennon's Afta lotion. I don't bother with a splash on a night shave, and besides, Afta is actually pretty damn good. Especially for $2.14 from Walmart. It really punches above its weight.

Long story long, the GC is easily one of my top 4 razors. Maybe top 2. I need to compare more with the Progress.

Second day using the Game Changer .84 with a Polsilver Imodium blade. Have several razors but had been using a 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable lately. Really love the Game Changer and will stick with it for awhile.

Second day using the Game Changer .84 with a Polsilver Imodium blade. Have several razors but had been using a 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable lately. Really love the Game Changer and will stick with it for awhile.

Those Imodium blades give a really smooth shave, and also do wonders for your stomach!

Top Bottom