What's new

Raised Flat Bottom family reunion

Took me about 6 months of bidding and looking to grab mine. I lost 2 or 3 other bids over the past several months. They are not easy to obtain but are definitely out there. They do seem to be getting more popular. I wonder why? :lol: Only about 1 or 2 pop up for sale each month. Much more scarce than say a fatboy or even a toggle for that matter. Ha. I see 5 or more toggles a month for sale.

Recieved my RFB set today and just finished cleaning it up. Came out real nice. I was thinking it might have some plate loss. Scrubbing bubbles and a little MAAS begs to differ. No cracks and no bent teeth! Not sure if these were nickel or silver plated? The ball end handle is hollow at the end. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. I have a 77 set but wanted to have the option of using different handles if desired. The RFB is still one of my top razors.
proxy.php

Ya, it's all Doc's fault. I say lets grab some torches and pitchforks and go up the winding road to Doc's castle.

Look what he made me do. :001_smile

View attachment 574764

That beautiful thing is MY fault??! I'm happy to plead guilty to that crime!:tongue_sm

Took me about 6 months of bidding and looking to grab mine. I lost 2 or 3 other bids over the past several months. ...
Much more scarce than say a fatboy or even a toggle for that matter. ...

Are they really that scarce?! Maybe the run on RFBs really is my fault!

BTW, I recently found a very humble member of the RFB family hiding in Germany. It finally made it's way to me earlier this week. Now, if I just had some time to take a few pictures ...

Last edited:
Although not a very impressive razor, my latest acquisition is a member of the RFB family that I had never seen before. So, of course, I was determined to buy it. I think the seller was a bit surprised by my determination. My RFB family has grown quite a lot in the last year. I plan to post another picture with all of them in it, but I think I might be up to 12 (three of them are basically duplicates of each other) ...

$rotbart trvl 1.jpg$rotbart trvl 2.jpg

Although not a very impressive razor, my latest acquisition is a member of the RFB family that I had never seen before. So, of course, I was determined to buy it. I think the seller was a bit surprised by my determination. My RFB family has grown quite a lot in the last year. I plan to post another picture with all of them in it, but I think I might be up to 12 (three of them are basically duplicates of each other) ...

View attachment 574779View attachment 574780

Nice, had no idea Rotbart made one like this.

Ya, it's all Doc's fault. I say lets grab some torches and pitchforks and go up the winding road to Doc's castle.

Look what he made me do. :001_smile

Beautiful RFB! Enjoy it good health, Tom! :thumbsup:

I've seen those. That's a very nice set, congrats Doc! :thumbup1:

Please, someone starts another thread on Rotbarts....:lol:

Nah ... why would you want to separate the poor Rotbarts from the rest of their family? :tongue_sm

Since we have briefly turned our attention to Rotbart for a page or so. I just got this in the mail today. Not sure what year/model this is as I have not seen the exact same one anywhere else yet. Very similar to many I have seen. I believe it is all aluminum though and the head is all black except for the cap. It weighs in at a mere 18 grams including the cap. I am not even sure if the case and such belong with it. It came from Germany. It sure looks to be in good condition though and will display nicely. Going to give it a go of course. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• $IMG_3200[1].jpg
    $IMG_3200[1].jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 161
  • $IMG_3201[1].jpg
    $IMG_3201[1].jpg
    52 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
There's some subtle differences, but that looks similar to a #15 (or a later version). Nice razor. :thumbup1:

Just like Gillette, they sold the same razor in a bunch of different sets, only the cases are different. I'd say your razor was made between 1937-'57.

Last edited:
Thanks Edgar. I actually gave the Rotbart a whirl this morning w/ some MWF. This thing is super light but to my surprise it worked really well. It really reminded me of using a Fasan. The shave required a fairly exact angle of attack but once you were dialed in it worked perfectly. Did a three pass shave on my neck and cheeks with mostly BBS and a few DFS areas in the regular trouble areas (adams apple). If you got off track a little with angle the razor tended to want to skip or tug. I believe this is all due to the light weight (18g) of the razor. This will definitely not be a daily user but one I will use from time to time. It sure is a cool looking razor though.

Top Bottom