What's new

Question about setting a knot with silicone

First time removing and setting a knot. So I set a Maggard 2 band synthetic knot in my Rubberset 400-4 using a water proof silicone which says rain ready in 30 minutes. I used the silicon instead of epoxy for now just because if I choose to change the knot I figured it would be easier to remove with silicone versus epoxy.

The question is - Is the silicone sturdy enough to hold the knot well with whatever pressure is exerted from lathering with it ?? Thanks in advance for all reponses

Before
IMG_20180117_171422715.jpg

After
IMG_20180219_113313557.jpg
IMG_20180219_113331109.jpg

Man, this place is dead compared to other areas of the site (77 reads and no response in almost a week)..........................................Well got it set and 1 use on it without any issues so I guess it'll be fine. Researched better and read people do use silicone at times without issue for the same reason I chose too. Maybe this will help someone else looking for the same information.

my brother used to make aquariums so was using the silicone sealant all the time. When I reknot I use an epoxy, but I can't imagine the silicone not working. Although, as I recall, there is a certain amount of give in silicone sealant that wouldn't be present in an epoxy.

my brother used to make aquariums so was using the silicone sealant all the time. When I reknot I use an epoxy, but I can't imagine the silicone not working. Although, as I recall, there is a certain amount of give in silicone sealant that wouldn't be present in an epoxy.
Yes, the idea was I may decide to do a different knot and the silicone is easier to remove a knot with then if I epoxy it.

Sorry, I missed this post. I have used silicone instead epoxy because I wanted to be able to remove the reset knot without destroying either. The first time I did it, I did not use enough, and the knot came loose. Since correcting the error, I have not had a single issue.

It is difficult to know how much to use. I had the same issue, first time I did it the know came out after a few months of use.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I suppose it is trial and error. My dad has a wood turning lathe that is getting no use and I will probably finish up with it. I have thought about getting some cheap knots from China to have a play around with. I have heard of silicone being used as a glue and may give it a go so that I can easily remove the knot if need be.

Yes, silicone works well. I set a very nice 2-band knot in place in a cheap handle about a year ago. It just came out this week. I'm looking for a better handle in 24mm before I reset it with epoxy.

Top Bottom