What's new

question about premium stainless steel razors

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about, including your description of "...slides back and forth...".

It does bother me (probably my OCD) and I do exactly what you say -- which is manually make sure that they line up perfectly as I tighten it up.

I was wondering whether this is true of other premium stainless steel razors or if they have even tighter tolerances.
Totally depends on the razor - some razors have round pins, which likely slide less than slotted heads. On my Rex Ambassador with horizontal slots (definitely a premium razor), there is some perceptible slide, but less than the Feather (I'd guess less than a half-milimeter or less either way). On my Taiga (also premium - horizontal slots) no movement at all. On my Muramasa ("T"-shaped slots), almost imperceptible movement. On my ATT Windsor (with small pins), probably about the same as the Feather. So - it depends. And some movement is not a bad thing - likely built-in to ensure a fit for almost any blade, no matter how imprecise the blade cutout, because I'm guessing some blades are made with less precision than some razors. And again, all of my razors get a visual check when inserting the blade and before shaving, and I appreciate the very slight leeway to be able to align everything perfectly (also OCD :biggrin1:).

Shaving is an art - with some science thrown in - but very much an eye-hand coordination, learned physical activity requiring practice, skill and finesse. If there was a perfect razor, perfectly machined, with perfectly fitting blades, perfectly aligned, and our faces and beards were identical, we'd all use the same razor and shave the same way, and never need to check anything. What would be the fun in that? :001_tongu

There no movement when tightened. See @Scaramouche's description above.

Now that I understand what your getting at, I re-checked my AS-D2, Timeless and Wolfman. For all three, when I went to assemble them as I normally would, they seemed to naturally align themselves, but I can manually force them a bit to one side or the other, like you described. The AS-D2 does have a bit more play than the Timeless and Wolfman, so it is potentially more noticeable. When I assemble my razors, I generally grab the outside edges of the baseplate and cap when I'm tightening the handle, so that probably helps with them always aligning perfectly even though it's not something I'm intentionally doing.

Getting to the point of your question, I would say that based on my examples, the machined Timeless and Wolfman are more precise in the their tolerances than the AS-D2, so what you're seeing would be even less noticeable. I would still consider the AS-D2 to be a very well crafted razor and it's my favorite out of the three.

Anoop, I’ve never paid attention to whether the top cap and base plate of my razors can move slightly when the handle is not tightened, but I think I can reassure you that it is normal. I haven’t tried it with all my razors but out of curiosity I just tried my Wolfman WR2 and it is the same as your Feather AS-D2. I think most would consider Wolfman to be one of the benchmarks for manufacturing tolerances.

There is also no reason why this should matter, so long as the movement is in the direction you describe - parallel to the blade edge. It cannot affect the shave and there is no reason for you to manually adjust it when you attach the handle.

I think this problem might be OCD-related. Practically speaking, such a tiny variation from the ideal is only an issue when it affects shaving performance and comfort.

There have to be some tolerances else the manufacturer might not get interchangeable parts. And you might find some blades would not fit properly without interference, which would be a worse problem to have.

The AS-D2 is a bit different from the other premium SS razors. The AS-D2 is cast rather than machined. It’s also played on chrome rather than a raw stainless steel finish. The result of this manufacturing method is a looser fitting razor with looser tolerances.

The AS-D2 is a bit different from the other premium SS razors. The AS-D2 is cast rather than machined. It’s also played on chrome rather than a raw stainless steel finish. The result of this manufacturing method is a looser fitting razor with looser tolerances.
What's the advantage of this method?

What's the advantage of this method?
Most DE razors were made by casting There’s nothing wrong with that but you can not achieve the tight tolerances of machining by casting. The parts will fit together more loosely and have more play in them. There will be a bit more error in the final blade alignment, exposure and blade gap.

The kind of play we are talking about here has zero bearing on shave performance, blade fell or aggressiveness. I still think the only razor I have ever used that had serious issues with alignment have been my Fatips and a faulty Charcoal Goods Everyday. After getting the topcap replaced, that was fixed.

I have converted to using modern stainless razors exclusively (I may consider aluminum or titanium in the future, but I still prefer SS), and have a couple proper Premium razors (Tradere OC and SB), and a couple budget stainless razors (Weber DLC, Fendrihan Mk II).

The Tradere design (check it out on Blackland's site, as they have revived the razor with the original maker's help) negates this issue entirely by having the top cap fully enclose the ends of the baseplate and blades. And with the very tight tolerances used, the alignment is impeccable. You might get a few thousandths of an inch of wiggle right before tightening the cap down, but you'd have to grip across the bar or comb (and thus the blade edge too) to do it.

The other two are cast heads and have a bit more play in the alignment. The Fendrihan MUCH more so than the Weber. I have to manually adjust the blade alignment AND the cap/base alignment every time I load the Fendrihan.

Bottom line, I would expect a modern machined razor head to have no alignment issues at all. If the head is cast, I would expect a bit of play in the tolerances. Though if it was more than about a quarter of a millimeter (or 10 one-thousandths of an inch), that's into visible misalignment territory and I would be sending in pictures to customer service to see if they're willing to correct it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I think you have to put it together correctly and tighten. I remember old Nick shaves videos where he used to check the blade alignment before shaving. I tend to press the top cap and base together before screwing the handle down. Just a habit I guess. I also used to assemble with the top cap on the floor pressing down and then tightening but realized I was scratching the top cap that way. Then I think I developed the sandwich method squeezing it together with my fingers. However you do it the piece should be aligned. I’ve never tried to see if it’s automatic by tightening. That feels rough, like grinding it together.

Top Bottom