What's new

Question about 1948-1950 Gillette Superspeed

Hey guys,

Quick question for anyone who knows. I just recently purchased a 1949 Gillette Super Speed. I've read nothing but great reviews about this razor. I already own a merkur HD and love it. I've always wanted a vintage blade and love the look of the super speeds. I've read that the 1948-50 models dont have serial codes and the only way to distinguish is to look for a "notch" on the bar. I am kind of a newbie to wetshaving and want to know where this notch is located? on the butterfly mechanism? the blade holder bar? on the side of the razor head? i have no clue what to look for?:sad: Please help, and maybe post pics if possible. Ive looked at many pics posted here on B&B with no answer to this question.

The bladeholding bar in the centre middle of the head on the inside.

AsylumGuido has a very detailed thread with pics on the subject in his signature.
megabad razors, I use one daily!
Wp

Thanks alot for those pics, it explains everything perfectly!
You guys rock! Can't believe i could not find that.
Sweet, once again, B&B rules!

Ah, but now the question begs to be asked... how is yours dated as a '49? Presumably, there actually is no way to specifically date a '48, '49 or '50 (except the V3 models), with the other exception being based on original packaging or blades that are certain to have been with the razor when new. At least, this has been my understanding (and I have so MUCH left to learn!).

Usually I see them referred to as undated, non-dated or no dates, or simply '48-'50.

(BTW, they are sweet razors regardless, and were the standard in their day for an entire Generation)

Hey guys,

Quick question for anyone who knows. I just recently purchased a 1949 Gillette Super Speed. I've read nothing but great reviews about this razor. I already own a merkur HD and love it. I've always wanted a vintage blade and love the look of the super speeds. I've read that the 1948-50 models dont have serial codes and the only way to distinguish is to look for a "notch" on the bar. I am kind of a newbie to wetshaving and want to know where this notch is located? on the butterfly mechanism? the blade holder bar? on the side of the razor head? i have no clue what to look for?:sad: Please help, and maybe post pics if possible. Ive looked at many pics posted here on B&B with no answer to this question.

no notch / notch:

Top Bottom