What's new

Proraso "Wood and Spice" SOAP experiment.

checked on my curing tins again today, Day 12.
Still doughy and a little puffy.
Looks like it might take another 2-3 weeks in my case.

Still doughy and a little puffy.
:001_unsur But sarimento1, that's the way I've always found Italian soft soaps to be (in my limited experience).

If you want it to be the same consistency as a standard hard soap this method simply won't work, unless you leave it for a VERY LONG TIME of course.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:001_unsur But sarimento1, that's the way I've always found Italian soft soaps to be (in my limited experience).

If you want it to be the same consistency as a standard hard soap this method simply won't work, unless you leave it for a VERY LONG TIME of course.

It ain't gonna be like a triple milled hard soap.

SV, for instance, is much harder, but it should be.

In other words, I agree, Cal, but SV is pretty hard.

Happy shaves,

Jim

well, and based on your experience, i'm just looking to see if it can be like proraso or cella shave soap. those are soaps that i can lather with the brush from the puck. what i have so far, cannot be lathered from the 'puck'.

well, and based on your experience, i'm just looking to see if it can be like proraso or cella shave soap. those are soaps that i can lather with the brush from the puck. what i have so far, cannot be lathered from the 'puck'.
Since screwing the lid closed (seven days from the start of the experiment), I've used mine every day (14 shaves so far). Here it is now (just prior to shave 15):
upload_2018-2-16_22-19-4.png

You'll notice that it's starting to develop the "donut" shape typical of Cella and Proraso (in the tub).

I can only guess that where you're keeping yours to cure must be extremely humid (unlike the cold and dry UK).

Is there a noticeable difference in terms of the shave you get when in cream form and croap form? Or is it more of a aesthetic/joy of the experience thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a noticeable difference in terms of the shave you get when in cream form and croap form? Or is it more of a aesthetic/joy of the experience thing?
From my point of view, there's no difference in the shave. But generally I'll bowl lather with cream and bigger brushes, and face lather with croap and smaller brushes (with good backbone).

It suddenly occurred to me to consider using a dehydrator or a very slow oven.. like around 170 for a few hours (or however long it takes). has anyone tried this? any reason anyone knows of that would contraindicate doing this?

It suddenly occurred to me to consider using a dehydrator or a very slow oven.. like around 170 for a few hours (or however long it takes). has anyone tried this? any reason anyone knows of that would contraindicate doing this?
I doubt it, but there's only one way to find out. :laugh:

But do bear in mind that Proraso do it naturally:
Made with a "hot soap process", it's left to mature in small batches for 10 days in a temperature-controlled room that protects it from temperature changes. During this time, the moisture evaporates and the product becomes solid and more "concentrated", perfect for a professional shave with a brush.
Whereas with the tube soaps:
Made with a "hot soap process", it's left to mature for 3 days. This produces an extremely fine, thick and creamy soap that, with the aid of a brush, produces a soft and rich lather.

I think I am going to try it... traveling this week though so likely next week before I get to try.. stay tuned and I will post my results. Thanks Cal

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting information, Cal, regarding how the Proraso creams and soaps are made. I wonder why they don't make a soap version of their new products.

Oh, you asked how many shaves I got out of one of the samples. I think I said it looked like it might give more shaves, but after only two shaves, there doesn't look like enough is left for a shave. That was enough for me to decide to buy more cream and make soap. I'm awaiting the soap and the aluminum container, but both should arrive soon enough.

Perhaps I loaded my brush too heavily.

I love my new avatar. What a gift. Thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I started my experiment yesterday and placed a few ounces of red cream from the tube in a tin (from WCS) and left it in a 170F oven for about 90 minutes... the house really smelled nice I will tell you that. :001_rolle The surface of the cream certainly dried and hardened and I've placed on a shelf to check every few days. At less than 24 hours the cream is noticeably firmer than when originally placed in the tin... stay tuned.

Top Bottom