What's new

Proraso "Wood and Spice" SOAP experiment.

FIRST SHAVE WITH WOOD AND SPICE SOAP

All I can say is this soap’s performance was excellent. :biggrin1:

View attachment 857526

Well, in fact, I can say a little more. The consistency was exactly like your regular Proraso soap in a tub.* And boy, the scent is STRONG!

I finished my shave off with Proraso Red (Sandalwood) ASL, and now 1½ hours later all I can smell is Wood and Spice. Fortunately it’s quite pleasant.

I’ll stay with it for a week and report back then. BTW, with soaps (vs creams) I face lather and load as I go (if/when required). The soap vs cream version is very economical. I used hardly any and had bags of lather for two full passes plus a final post-shave lather.

* Hey Grant, I suspect that you haven’t used Italian soft soaps. If my suspicions are right, it’s something that you MUST DO! :wink2:

Hey Cal,
That is a great experiment! I really like the way it turned out. I have a bag of the Azur Lime and I may do the same thing. Did you print the label yourself?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey Cal, did you print the label yourself?

proxy.php

Some skills are way beyond my current abilities. Even some computer skills.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Great experiment and report! Thanks!
And practical, since (1) it's hard for a single sole to use up that large bag of cream and (2) using a small tin of soap is more convenient for storage, loading as well as travel.
I can see me doing same with much of my bag.

proraso wood spice omega filarmonica july 8 2017.jpg

Let's know if you decide make some. :thumbsup:

well, i have two small tins on the 'curing shelf', one about 1 oz and the other about 2 oz.
as you described, most time-consuming step is working up the label.
here is my label in process.

proraso wood spice label b.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:w00t: I hope you're going to label it SOAP and not CREAM sarimento1. :wink2:

View attachment 858003

When I make it, if I make it, I'm likely to grab my trust label making machine, and zip out a little label in about ten seconds and slap that sucker on the top of the aluminum can.

upload_2018-2-4_16-29-17.png

Link to this can.

I pretty sure I saw something similar on AliExpress or one of those places, but you had to buy a bunch of them. I might buy a bunch of them sometime if I come across that offer again.

proxy.php

Making one of the fancy labels would be a great idea, but I've already put too much time into trying to figure it out, and failed at the task, and realized I don't care much about it anyway.

I am going to try the three samples before I ordered before deciding on making this soap, but it sure looks like a great idea if it performs as well as Proraso Red in a tub, and has a great and strong scent. If so, it could be a soap I use a lot!

Happy shaves,

Jim

EIGHTH SHAVE WITH WOOD AND SPICE SOAP

After a full week with this soap, its performance continues to be excellent. :biggrin1:
I still prefer the simpler scent of my favorite Proraso Red, but I intend staying with the stronger and more complex scent of Wood and Spice all month to get a better overall feel for it.

upload_2018-2-10_0-25-7.png

My personal score for this soap at this point in time... 9.95 out of 10. :punk:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
EIGHTH SHAVE WITH WOOD AND SPICE SOAP

After a full week with this soap, its performance continues to be excellent. :biggrin1:
I still prefer the simpler scent of my favorite Proraso Red, but I intend staying with the stronger and more complex scent of Wood and Spice all month to get a better overall feel for it.

View attachment 859201

My personal score for this soap at this point in time... 9.95 out of 10. :punk:

A got samples of the three new Proraso soaps, and put this one into the bottom of a tin a couple of days ago. It's sitting out, open, drying, and will, I believe, be suitably dry tomorrow morning. I believe I might then shave with it.

The sample was pretty small, so it spread rather thinly in the tin, allowing it to dry quickly.

I'm really looking forward to giving it a spin or two or three before I decide to buy the full sized Wood and Spice soap. I hope I like this as much as Proraso Red in a tub, or more, and that it has a good and strong scent.

Thanks, Cal, for inventing a new soap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm really looking forward to giving it a spin or two or three before I decide to buy the full sized Wood and Spice soap. I hope I like this as much as Proraso Red in a tub, or more, and that it has a good and strong scent.
:thumbup: Keep us posted please Jim.

Top Bottom