What's new

Proraso "Wood and Spice" SOAP experiment.

update on my experiment to convert the cream to soap.
after 6 days of "curing", it's still a little puffy or mushy.
altho not moist.
i'll check again in another week.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
altho not moist.

This is both of your tins? You have two sizes and/or different amounts of soap in two different containers as I recall.

I have only a sample sized amount (very little) in a tin, but it is getting pretty hard after a couple or three days (I've forgotten exactly). Clearly, the amount of cream in the tin should be and is a factor in the drying. Also, the exposed surface area, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This is both of your tins? You have two sizes and/or different amounts of soap in two different containers as I recall.

I have only a sample sized amount (very little) in a tin, but it is getting pretty hard after a couple or three days (I've forgotten exactly). Clearly, the amount of cream in the tin should be and is a factor in the drying. Also, the exposed surface area, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

two tins in my batch, one filled 4mm, the other about 12mm.

altho not moist.
I've always found my favorite Proraso Red soap (in the tub) to be quite "puffy or mushy" at the start. Once the seal is broken, and with regular exposure, it gets harder.

Following....

I use proraso green soap daily and bought a tube of proraso red for travel. Now you have me thinking to see if I can dehydrate the cream into a soap. Might try that once I find a suitable container.

I use proraso green soap daily and bought a tube of proraso red for travel. Now you have me thinking to see if I can dehydrate the cream into a soap. Might try that once I find a suitable container.
Considering the cost of Proraso, I'd just buy a tub of the Red. The reason for the experiment was simply that Proraso don't do any of their Single Blade tube soaps (creams) in tub soap (soap) form.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I used mine today. The Wood and Spice sample. Cured for a two or three day spell.

Nice stuff. Great scent. Strong scent. As good as Proraso Red in a tub in its performance - with the caveat that one shave is not a sufficient experience to be certain about anything - but with a much stronger (and pleasant) scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How many shaves do you reckon you'll get out of your sample Jim?

Well, it was a very small amount of cream. A very small jar. The vendor said enough for five shaves. That sounds about right. I didn't use very much, but I used enough to get the application as I want it to be.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This is an interesting experiment. I’ve had some interest in the newer Single Blade creams, but generally prefer soaps. Might have to try this.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I ordered some Wood and Spice. Cal, how much of the product do you think ideal for curing in a tin at one time? I suppose I'm asking, since tins are not uniform, about how deep the cream should be when the curing process is begun? I assume there's enough cream to make several batches of cream, and I don't particularly see any reason to make a whole tin full. Maybe there is, so correct me if I need to know.

Also, my tin is not terribly deep and I like to have some room at the top of the soap to swirl and not make a mess. The manufacturers of the wonderful Wickham 1912 soap give you a tub which allows that. Captain's Choice does, too, saying, "For your convenience, we chose to put the five ounces of soap into an oversize eight-ounce tub." To me, it's a very good idea, and convenient.

So, how much cream in a tin? Also, how do you assess the ideal "fully dried" point? Maybe about the same as Proraso Red in a tub? Certainly not triple milled hard or anything close to that? I'm thinking hard enough to be on the soap side of croap maybe, but I want your viewpoint.

I do not need any more soap not called SV. If you invent another one, please block me from the conversation. Now, brushes are another story...

Thanks, and happy shaves,

Jim

About 35 mm deep, and about 77 mm in diameter.
:laugh: I'm with you about not making a mess Jim. And in that case I'd fill the bottom 20mm of the tin, leaving you 15mm to "mess" with.

That gives you 93ml of product which will be good for MANY shaves, and your bag should provide about three of them.

Thanks Cal. This thread caught my attention because I want something smaller for travel and that tube definitely is not small. Yesterday I bought a palmolive stick so I'll see how that goes.. Might even breakdown and get a travel brush. The tube of red will stay as is until my current tub of proraso green is empty. Love reading all of this ... Learn more every day!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:laugh: I'm with you about not making a mess Jim. And in that case I'd fill the bottom 20mm of the tin, leaving you 15mm to "mess" with.

That gives you 93ml of product which will be good for MANY shaves, and your bag should provide about three of them.

Thanks, Cal. That is exactly what I'll do, or thereabouts, as I will just guesstimate about half full of cream, and then leave it open to cure.

I'm assuming it will take maybe a week to cure. I'm also assuming there's no advantage to trying to cure it in layers, so I'll just fill the container about half full and forget about it for a week.

I know it may take a little more or less time to cure depending on all sorts of variables (humidity, temperature, moon phases, etc.) none of which I plan to control at all.

Thanks for inventing a new Proraso product, Cal. I hope the Italians are sending you royalty checks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom