What's new

Proraso Appreciation Society!

Today's gear:

IMG_20210107_155533777.jpg

I have a tube of the blue, some tubs of green, a tub and a tube of the white, and the green aftershave. I absolutely love all of them and I'm itching to try the red.
I have a question which I thought would be best to pose here: Does the white line have a significant menthol kick? My white tub freezes my face (which is nice), but I feel no menthol when I use the white tube. Anyone else experience this?

I have a tube of the blue, some tubs of green, a tub and a tube of the white, and the green aftershave. I absolutely love all of them and I'm itching to try the red.
I have a question which I thought would be best to pose here: Does the white line have a significant menthol kick? My white tub freezes my face (which is nice), but I feel no menthol when I use the white tube. Anyone else experience this?
I've felt some menthol from the white line, but I'm not sure I'd characterize it as being a significant kick. Though, IME, it's comparable or stronger than t he menthol in the green tub (though, I may have just gotten a really weak batch of the green).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I didn't read all 27 pages of this thread..... so educate me. I tried the White in the tub one time.... didn't care for it. It was my first shave when I returned to Wet Shaving.... I couldn't seem to get it to lather well. I was using my ancient Vulfix Super Badger but truth be told, I had no idea what I was doing.

I've educated myself now... and am getting great lather in a bowl with a nice, synthetic brush. What should I expect when I put the White into my rotation? Does it lather up easily? I've been hesitant to retry it but I know it has a sterling reputation and has been around for ages.

Any comments or suggestions? (other than try it for yourself and see) ;)

I didn't read all 27 pages of this thread..... so educate me. I tried the White in the tub one time.... didn't care for it. It was my first shave when I returned to Wet Shaving.... I couldn't seem to get it to lather well. I was using my ancient Vulfix Super Badger but truth be told, I had no idea what I was doing.

I've educated myself now... and am getting great lather in a bowl with a nice, synthetic brush. What should I expect when I put the White into my rotation? Does it lather up easily? I've been hesitant to retry it but I know it has a sterling reputation and has been around for ages.

It really depends on why you were unable to get a good lather initially. Proraso lathers up really easily for me with my 2-band badger SOC. I may be wrong, but I believe Italian barbers lather Proraso with boar brushes. Maybe @Marco can confirm?

Ratso

Mr. Obvious

The white lathers just fine for me. Don’t scimp when you load your brush.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It really depends on why you were unable to get a good lather initially. Proraso lathers up really easily for me with my 2-band badger SOC. I may be wrong, but I believe Italian barbers lather Proraso with boar brushes. Maybe @Marco can confirm?
Yes, boars are the weapon of choice for most Italian Master Barbers. Quality synthetics are starting to appear in barbershops, too.

Yeah- my wife is a huge fan of the sandalwood! I just tried the Wood & Spice (yellow) and I like it but my wife isn’t crazy about it. I wasn’t crazy about it at first but it has grown on me.

In the summer I use the green every other shave with some other lime glycerine soap being in the mix. I love the aftershaves, love the creams for travel- it’s a staple.

White was my first soap when I started, still have a soft spot for it. All Proraso soaps have absolutely no trouble making a good lather. I only have experiences with the soap in jars, not the tubes.

Scent wise you may not like then, but performance wise they are great bang for buck. The white residue that is left behind on your razor or brush seems to be the biggest concern some have with these soaps.

To those wary of the quality of proraso, don't be put off by the low price! It can stand comparisons with expensive soaps. Some real bargains just now . The tubs are my favourite and these can take a lot of water. Best scoop a small amount of the crop out to stop water ruining the remainder the tub.

Top Bottom