What's new

Post Hipster?

Uh huh. However, current batch of kids have never been even a text message away from mommy and daddy. They may just live in parents' basements forever.

As each successive generation does their "I'm so different" routine they all end up getting married, buying a house in the suburbs, selling out and getting a real job, buying a minivan and driving their kids to soccer practice. I can only imagine wearing leggings, beards, green hair and tatoos, being vegan and sitting in cafes, glued to your laptop and phone wears thin after a while.

The thing is, for the people of my generation and background at least (born in the Eastern Europe and being a teenager in the late 70s-80s) green hair and tatoos and piercings and whatever else you may want to pin on you is really not "rebellious" at all. We did not grow up with any special dress code, we've lived through the tail end of hippie culture and punk rock culture and heavy metal culture and all, and I could not care less what you wear or how you dye your hair (although some balding dude pushing 60, sporting a beer belly, covered in tattoo, and trying to emulate a 20 yo transgender barista looks clownishly ridiculous to me... but hey it's their body and I absolutely don't judge). All I - and most friends of my generation - care about is how you behave, not how you look. So, being outwardly "hip" doesn't have nearly as much impact as the first beatniks / hippies had on the far more formal society of their time. You simply can't outdo the crazy style of the mid-80s no matter how hard you try...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You simply can't outdo the crazy style of the mid-80s no matter how hard you try...

proxy.php

Thirty years from now, ex-hipsters will be explaining the "emaciated lumberjack borrowing his little brother's jeans" look to their incredulous grandchildren.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Uh huh. However, current batch of kids have never been even a text message away from mommy and daddy. They may just live in parents' basements forever.

That's interesting, because from what I've heard and read is that the current generation's parents are the ones with the separation anxiety. One example that I can think of is an article I heard on NPR a year or two ago that discussed the issue. It talked about how current parents with kids in college would contact campus security and police for ridiculous reasons and the increased frequency that this has been happening.

With that being said, I do believe that many younger folk are out of touch with appreciating modern technology, and try to reject the idea of it, while also relying on it at the same time.

I remember the first time I spotted some hipsters (210 meters out, Mac)...jeans were super tight and wallet was chained to their belts! This was a long time ago so I'm sure they've progressed past that.

My generation just had stoners (basically new hippies but without the politics, trippy music, communes, and other such interesting things).

Top Bottom