What's new

Poll: What is your favorite type of synthetic knot?

What is your favorite type of synthetic knot?

• Cashmere / Angel

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Gamechanger / Boss / Ghost

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Mühle Silvertip Fibre

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Plisson or similar

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • Silver Synth / Full Moon

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Silksmoke / Hawk

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Simpsons Synthetic Bristle

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • Synbad / Mew

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Timberwolf or similar

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Tuxedo / Black Wolf / Black Tie / Luxedo

Votes: 38 29.7%

• Total voters

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a core of 3 brushes that I rotate. All 3 knots were from Milton @ TurnNShave and the handles were from Daniel @ DC Shaving on Etsy. It would be really hard to just pick 1 but if I had to it would be Milton's Timberwolf because it has the softest tips of the 3 and lathers like a beast... I think 2nd would be his Quartermoon and 3rd, the Angel hair.
View attachment 1029358

@Olegausany
The Motherload knot was originally a make up brush knot that someone put in a shave brush handle. It never sold well because it was just too floppy.

@YouToo
You have the Cashmere and Angel hair knots listed together and I can tell you from experience they are very different knots in how they are made and how they lather!! Not even close!!
nice collection like the middle handle especially

I used the Chubby 2 synth for the first time today and it does indeed have its own character. I can still tell it's a synth, but it is the most unique. Really good backbone and dense like a Chubby should be. It also has a different feel that is hard to describe. Where all of the other synths I've tried, including the G4 (supposedly the same as the Muhle), felt pretty much the same with maybe a slight difference in backbone, the Chubby definitely feels like an attempt to add some badger-like feel to the hair. It still has that extreme softness at the tips like other synths, but it also held some lather and retained some warmth. I like this brush a lot so I now have two synth knots that I'll use. The Blackwolf or Tuxedo, and the CH-2.

I could never quite warm up to synthetic knots. I've traveled with the Muhle and the Chubby, and have found them each acceptable but no substitute for natural hair or bristle.
A lesson I've learned the expensive way.

A lesson I've learned the expensive way.
I have a chubby 3 badger, and was considering a ch2 synthetic but from what you say, I'd be better getting another high quality badger. The ch3 is so luxurious when face lathering. I only have 1 brush, and want an alternative to allow the brushes to dry between uses.

Muehle, Simpson and Shavemac

Hello Rudy,
you know I have a preference for fan shape knots with good backbone and I face lather.
I recently got a CH2 synth (very 1st synth) and I can't make up my mind yet. It seems to be very "pointy" with the bulb shape. It's luxuriously soft and densly packed that's for sure but it doesn't splay easily. Would a Shavemac fan synth possibly a better choice given my preferences?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hello Rudy,
you know I have a preference for fan shape knots with good backbone and I face lather.
I recently got a CH2 synth (very 1st synth) and I can't make up my mind yet. It seems to be very "pointy" with the bulb shape. It's luxuriously soft and densly packed that's for sure but it doesn't splay easily. Would a Shavemac fan synth possibly a better choice given my preferences?
The fan is for you probably the best way to go.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am not a lover of synthetic brushes generally but have tried a few. I owned, and sold, a Mervyn Cadman 30mm tuxedo and found it far too big for my taste although it certainly lathered well. The Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic is the best one I have tried - mine is synthetic 'badger' rather than the 'bristle' which Simpson currently sells and I am not sure of the difference. It is difficult to splay and I have to 'force' the splay on the end of my chin to get it started. The most important thing I learned was to use very little water and repeatedly dip just the tips to build the lather. It dries quickly which makes it good for travel.

I can vouch for this knot. Steve gifted me a beautiful brush with this knot and it is excellent. It has enough backbone to load any soap but feels soft and luxurious on my face.

Yeah, the Duro knot is so awesome that I ordered another brush from Craving Shaving just so I could have another Duro put in. Also, because his handles are some of the most comfortable handles out there.

Has anyone used a 28mm tuxedo knot from Davide at Leonidam? I got one a couple months ago, and its performance was remarkable; very different from every other tuxedo I used. I swear it's THIS close to natural hair. The way it flexes, the way it holds a good deal of water, the feeling as it paints lather... I'm not kidding when I say it reminded me of my Chubby 2 super. Thing's unbelievable; if you get a chance you've got to try it.

Yeah, the Duro knot is so awesome that I ordered another brush from Craving Shaving just so I could have another Duro put in. Also, because his handles are some of the most comfortable handles out there.
I can vouch for this. Duro knot is awesome and C.S. handles are very comfortable. Good combination.

the best is still the first I tried which is the cheap big brush from maggard. yellow fibers and grayish tips. outstanding brush

Top Bottom