What's new

Poll: What is your favorite type of synthetic knot?

What is your favorite type of synthetic knot?

• Cashmere / Angel

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Gamechanger / Boss / Ghost

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Mühle Silvertip Fibre

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Plisson or similar

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • Silver Synth / Full Moon

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Silksmoke / Hawk

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Simpsons Synthetic Bristle

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • Synbad / Mew

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Timberwolf or similar

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Tuxedo / Black Wolf / Black Tie / Luxedo

Votes: 38 29.7%

• Total voters
The knot size and loft play a big role. I enjoy most of these knots, but changing up the knot/loft ratio moves them around in my ranking. All things being equal, my Cashmere and my Tuxedo (both original APShaveCo variants) are my two favorites. The Synbad isn't far behind.

All synthetic fibres (tuxedo, timberwolf, angel hair, cashmere, black fiber...) are used to make makeup brushes.

I would go as far as to say they were developed for the cosmetic industry first and then used in shaving brushes.

About the floppiness, just set it short and it is awesome, if you like a gentle/no scrub massage.. But they lather great.
I'm not sure about brushes that you have but I know the fibers are different for the knots that I have and have compared them to a Motherload brush over a year ago and the Motherload bristles weren't even 1/2 the diameter nor shaped like the hairs on my Timberwolf, Angel Hair, and Quartermoon fibers of the knots I bought from Milton @ TurnNShave.... The Motherload was just a limp brush and too floppy to be used as a shave brush. I'm very aware also about setting a brush as all 3 of mine I did myself so I'm somewhat knowledgeable in that area, but there was nothing I could've done with the Motherload that would've made it usable!!

Try setting it 26x48 or 28x50.
I bought my knots from OumoBrush.

It could well be that you just don't like this fiber, as usual YMMV.

I didn't try Tuxedo so I can't comment. I have TurnNShave Quatermoon and prefer it over Yaqi Timberwolf so now very curious how Yaqi Timberwolf compares to TurnNShave one

I voted Tuxedo. My second place goes to the Omega S-Brush. I also have a Timberwolf with a shortened loft to increase the back bone which it did, but it makes the knot effectively so much smaller that I'm not very pleased with it.

I have tried all but 3 on the list and in my opinion they are all of the same fiber just different thicknesses base to tip and all in between. Some are crimped more or less or not at all. I have liked or loved most of them with a few exceptions. I currently have 8 in my rotation. My three favorites are WW blackwolf, apshaveco cashmere and turnnshave timberwolf. I also have 6 badgers and love them too but for me most of the time synthetics are easier to lather and dial in and no soak needed and easy to clean and care for.

Happy shaves
SMURF

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think it is hard to beat a 24 mm Tuxedo knot because it has good back bone with soft tips and displays nicely.
Paints a beautiful lather for other passes that is soft to the skin feel. Not a lather hog either, the bigger knot sizes use a lot of soap that more than likely gets washed down the drain for one shaving session. If I head shaved a bigger knot would make more sense IMO.

I haven't used the motherlode knot or the Simpson synth, but I've used basically all the rest.

I would say the most unique knot and probably what I would class as the #1 synthetic is the Muhle STF (the 25mm).

After that, I basically like and enjoy all the other knots as long as the glue bump is under 5mm.

Some favorites are: TurnNshave quarter moon, full moon and angel hair.
Timber wolf, cashmere, tuxedo (prefer the 26mm), boss, faux horse, plissoft (I do enjoy the slightly mop-like splay on this one), silk smoke, mew brown/synbad.

They all create a fantastic lather and are very soft and comfortable. The slight variations in characteristics provide enough of a change up to keep it interesting.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My favorites (so far) are Cashmere, Plissoft, Tuxedo and Full Moon.

Will have to try the Mühle based on the positive feedback in this thread.

I would vote for the Duro knot that used to be sold at PAA for $5.00
Great knot.

I can vouch for this knot. Steve gifted me a beautiful brush with this knot and it is excellent. It has enough backbone to load any soap but feels soft and luxurious on my face.

I could never quite warm up to synthetic knots. I've traveled with the Muhle and the Chubby, and have found them each acceptable but no substitute for natural hair or bristle.

I could never quite warm up to synthetic knots. I've traveled with the Muhle and the Chubby, and have found them each acceptable but no substitute for natural hair or bristle.
If I remember correct, the CEO of Mühle said their Silvertip Fibre was the first type of fibre that was developed specifically for shaving. True or not, I bet they will continue to work hard on this and maybe, one day they will create a synthetic that expands, holds water, stays warm and all that stuff you'd expect from a badger brush. I don't know how the fibres are produced but surely there must always be some genious out there who can take it one step further.

If I remember correct, the CEO of Mühle said their Silvertip Fibre was the first type of fibre that was developed specifically for shaving. True or not, I bet they will continue to work hard on this and maybe, one day they will create a synthetic that expands, holds water, stays warm and all that stuff you'd expect from a badger brush. I don't know how the fibres are produced but surely there must always be some genious out there who can take it one step further.
For me it's the feel and not the other things you mention. I have a new Frank G4 synth that many have described as being the same as the Muhle or at least extremely similar. To me it feels like every other synth I've tried, and I've tried the Omega Hi-brush, a few Maggards, the G4, and a couple of Tuxedo/Blackwolfs. The Blackwolf/Tux has a smidge more backbone, but that is the only difference I've felt. I will be trying the Chubby 2 synth from Simpsons today. Just rubbing it dry on my face I can tell it's a synth, but it might have its own character. We'll see.

Top Bottom